• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2015 Super Rugby] Sharks vs. Chiefs (Round 6) 21/03/2015

Who will win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
If you guys want to see how PC the game has gone watch the Liam Messams interview after this game. Its so obvious that he wanted to say something but is constrained by political correctness.

And even with the constraints I thought he tried to get a point across by saying none of these guys are thugs. Its just getting OTT imo.

If you guys want to see how PC the game has gone watch the Liam Messams interview after this game. Its so obvious that he wanted to say something but is constrained by political correctness.

And even with the constraints I thought he tried to get a point across by saying none of these guys are thugs. Its just getting OTT imo.

But Bismarck is becoming more and more a thug. He is starting to lose a lot of respect from the South African public...

See I dont understand you lot going on about the red cards being justified then they got bans on top of that for those infractions!? Seriously rugby is going down the gurgler fast imo.

I honestly believe the only way to sort this **** out is put someone like Bakies or Richard Loe in charge of the Refs panel as these refs are clearly clueless.

And I still cant believe anybody took Pocock seriously over his being called a fag or whatever went down... I mean has this really turned into a poofs game now aswell? PC gone out of control.

It might be sport, but it's still a work environment for these guys. They have a reasonable expectation to just get on with it like men. And from a business point of view, we want to be seen as a welcoming sport for all people, not like soccer where homophobic and racial slurs are the norm on a daily basis. We want to be seen as an attractive sport, not a "back in my day those poofs would have got sorted out" Farmer Brown type mentality.

He's borderline imo and nothing wrong with that. Are we going to exclude the odd guy just because they have the odd brainfart once in a while?

He's still got a ways to go to rival Richard....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EyE_jaMwANY

In his case he has to stop. He is the Sharks Captain, he is a Springbok vice-captain, and kicking a man in the face is not acceptable at all!

In his case he has to stop. He is the Sharks Captain, he is a Springbok vice-captain, and kicking a man in the face is not acceptable at all!

I would say thats more an issue for the idiot coach that made him captain! Anybody with half a clue can see he's not captaincy material.

I would say thats more an issue for the idiot coach that made him captain! Anybody with half a clue can see he's not captaincy material.

Don't be naive!

He is a leader amongst men. And it's not the coach who tells him to kick an opponent in the face.

It might be sport, but it's still a work environment for these guys. They have a reasonable expectation to just get on with it like men. And from a business point of view, we want to be seen as a welcoming sport for all people, not like soccer where homophobic and racial slurs are the norm on a daily basis. We want to be seen as an attractive sport, not a "back in my day those poofs would have got sorted out" Farmer Brown type mentality.

Homophobic an racial slurs are very much still the norm at club level, can't see it being any different for the pros. Bismarcks kick in the face was unecessary, but a big deal was made of Pocock being called a ****** (which he's not, so what's the big deal?)

Ok, well if that's acceptable to you then I guess you have a different moral compass. This is Super Rugby level where each game isn't that far off test match intensity these days and is watched all over the world. If you think being a pig and making those sort of comments, rather than letting your actions do the talking, is what we wanna do then I disagree. It's a sport which is competing with many others and already has many different sort of penalties for new comers to get their heads around. Last thing we want to be seen as is a game which is dour and stuck in last-generation thinking. It's not even true sledging, it's just a local yockle mentality that isn't that great for business.

Last edited:
The red card offences need to be enforced because player safety should be number one. If tip tackles and kicks become acceptable players are going to get injured and that's the bottom line, I'm a little surprised that Steyn got off and really can't agree with it, is it over exaggerating to say that Cruden could have broken his neck? I think not. This isn't new, these kind of tackles have been severely punished since 2011 players should know what is acceptable and what isn't by now.

As for the homophobic slurs surely this is something that we don't want in rugby? Where any player or potential viewer could be offended or put of by the ignorant mentality of other players, do we want young homosexual kids to be put off rugby because professional players are making homophobic comments? If you even have to think about that you're living in the past.

That Steyn has been let off is a bloody disgrace, and undermines everything that WR is trying to do to stamp out this practice.

WR took up the cudgels and appealed the judiciary's verdict in the infamous stamping case during the Lions tour in 2013 involving Wallaby captain James Horwill ; they should bloody well do the same here.

On the racial slurs comment:

If any member calls another member that on this forum - they get banned. It's that simple. This is a privately owned forum and as such we get to set a benchmark for how our members should behave. On occasions that it isn't enforced it makes the staff look bad. Why should Super Rugby - a much larger financial entity - take a lighter stance on the people they employ? My job is PR - if I publicize something which undermines the values of my employers - I lose my job.

I don't know why professional rugby players should be exempt from penalties for their behavior? They are perfectly aware they are brand ambassadors and public figures, and that a rugby match is televised around the world.

Potgieter may have no ill feelings towards homosexuals. He may have used the phrase purely out of frustration and have a detached sense of meaning. He's still culpable for his actions and I'm surprised to see so many defend him..

Frans Steyn has been banned for 5 weeks!!

http://www.sport24.co.za/Rugby/Super15/Steyn-banned-for-tip-tackle-20150331

The Committee determined that the relevant sanction was four matches.

After taking into consideration the Sharks' bye in Round 11, Steyn was suspended from all forms of the game up to and including May 3.

This means that Steyn will miss the Sharks' matches against the Crusaders (Saturday, April 4), Lions (Saturday, April 11), Bulls (Saturday, April 18) and their opening tour match against the Highlanders (Saturday, May 1)

Thankfully, sanity has been restored to the SANZAR Judicial process.

How the hell the original JO saw that as a "perfectly legitimate tackle" I'll never know.

The right decision was made in the end. It shouldn't have needed an appeal to get the right result though.

I really don't understand why supporters, Sharks in general are unhappy about the 5 week ban. Out of all 3 red cards this play was the most dangerous. The original panel was wrong in letting Steyn of the hook. Would the supporters have the same reaction if it was a player from any other team? I doubt it, they would have been baying for blood. Call a spade a spade and remove your Shark glasses.

Latest posts