• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2015 Super Rugby] Sharks vs. Chiefs (Round 6) 21/03/2015

Who will win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The tip tackle and the kick to the head were both nailed-on, stone-cold red cards, all day long, every day of the week.

The dangerous charge was a yellow card not a red IMO, espcially given that there were several other ruck entry incidents that looked much the same, and that he didn't even penalise. If you are going to set such a high standard in the first 15 min, then you must go on and remain consistent and not bottle it for the remaining 65.

TBH, I thought Gardner was little better than average in this game. You only have to watch Nigel Owens in the England v France game to see the standard that elite referees need to reach; I'm afraid Gardner was nowhere near it!

Mirrors my thoughts completely.

I think du Plessis will be gone for a few weeks, that was a ridiculous thing to do.

Also I had $5 on the Sharks to win this match, so made a few bucks there!

Last edited:
OK, a have seen the replay of the dangerous charging incident, and a take my earlier comments back. Elliot absolutely deserved a red card for what he did.

The problem was, he charged into the same ruck twice, first was the one he got the red card for (forearm to the back of "Beast's head) and then he went back and charged a second time to a different player, but this time there was only contact with the body, not the head. I never saw the first charge only the second, so I didn't see how that could have been worthy of a red card

However, my comments re Angus Gardner stand. I thought he was poor, inconsistent, and lost the confidence of the players very early.

Not the best game from both sides. Cruden missed some kicks which lost us the game.

Have to agree that all the incidents were red cards. Haven't watched the game (really can't be bothered considering the scoreline and result), but looking at the highlights all those incidents were obviously red cards. There seemed to be a whole lot of brain explosions this game.

The problem was, he charged into the same ruck twice, first was the one he got the red card for (forearm to the back of "Beast's head) and then he went back and charged a second time to a different player, but this time there was only contact with the body, not the head. I never saw the first charge only the second, so I didn't see how that could have been worthy of a red card

I still don't think Hika's was a Red card offense personally. To me, I'm not even sure he did connect to the head. From the footage I can see, Elliot's body is blocking the view. It could well have been a forearm to the shoulder or neck (which is still bad, I know). Don't get me wrong, it was very dumb, and I would have had no issues with a yellow card to set a precedent that World Rugby want this cut out of the game. But if we're saying that Elliot's actions, which were stupid, are in the same league as a blatant kick to the skull, then no - I disagree. I have seen Elliot's action done by many players in the past, and while World Rugby is only cracking down on it in recent times, I don't recall others (such as the Franks brothers) carded.

But if I'm wrong, that's cool. Just as long as they're consistent. Because I hope they realize it happens almost every game by somebody at least.

Last edited:
I think we need to put Richard Loe in charge of the international refereeing panel.... problem solved.

Elliot absolutely deserved a red card, but I reckon no need for any further citing against him. As for Bismarck what a tool! This guy is a dirty idiot and has been banned for 4 weeks, got off light I reckon.

This was suach a crappy game to watch. When those first 2 red cards were dished out so close after one another, I thought that this game might still be a spectacle, as it were both hookers on either side getting the red.

I thought Frans Steyn was a bit hard done by. The way I saw it there were 2 factors that weren't considered. 1. Cruden jumped just before Steyn made contact with him and 2. Reinach was part of the tackle. In fact I thought that Steyn and Reinach together should both have gotten a yellow card.

Either way, 3 cards in one game leaves a sour taste in my mouth, and 3 red cards makes it laughable.

Just a shocking game, and not one I'd ever want to watch again.

Disgusting game.
Not Frans nor Bismark should come close a Springbok jersey again

Poor game. Not sure about the Chiefs this season.

Just hope the loss doesn't rattle their confidence. Last year they suffered a shock loss to the Force and were never the same since, losing to the bigger teams from all three countries. They look like they have a championship-winning attack when running around the field, but the set piece and general discipline are holding them back. You'd hope Retallick coming back might improve that a little.

Shocker. South African judiciary let a South African player off. That tackle could of killed Cruden and apparently it was completely legal?

ref = Angus Garnder. enough said. the guy controls a game like driving a car with bald tyres on a wet road

How the heck did Steyn get let off?

It was clearly a red card tackle, Cruden was lifted, turned past the horizontal and then driven to the ground. That's a red card.

"The referee and his assistant on the available evidence at their disposal came to the conclusion that Cruden got lifted in the tackle by Steyn and made contact with the ground with his head first.
"The video material before me clearly shows that Cruden made contact with the ground first with his right hand and upper arm, followed by shoulder and back.

I mean...what the hell? So his head wasn't the first thing to make contact with the ground, his hand and arm did to. So did BO'D's in 2005...didn't mean it shouldn't have been a red card. There was another tackler present there as well...

Never mind, I think SANZAR have just proved Umaga's innocents. I said nothing.

Last edited:
What the hell? That was the clearest red of the lot. Cruden got driven straight into the ground.

See I dont understand you lot going on about the red cards being justified then they got bans on top of that for those infractions!? Seriously rugby is going down the gurgler fast imo.

I honestly believe the only way to sort this **** out is put someone like Bakies or Richard Loe in charge of the Refs panel as these refs are clearly clueless.

And I still cant believe anybody took Pocock seriously over his being called a fag or whatever went down... I mean has this really turned into a poofs game now aswell? PC gone out of control.

Last edited:
See I dont understand you lot going on about the red cards being justified then they got bans on top of that for those infractions!? Seriously rugby is going down the gurgler fast imo.

I honestly believe the only way to sort this **** out is put someone like Bakies or Richard Loe in charge of the Refs panel as these refs are clearly clueless.

And I still cant believe anybody took Pocock seriously over his being called a fag or whatever went down... I mean has this really turned into a poofs game now aswell? PC gone out of control.

Jeez you come off as a complete munter man.

Not too sure about Loe or Botha being in charge of refs lol but I agree game has gone too PC. Handing down a fine for onfield sledging is rediculous don't think it was a personal attack (maybe it was, soft decision either way) there didn't look to be any malice in the Steyn tackle, just the way things go sometimes, it's a collision sport, it happens. League is heading the same way, since they brought out the one punch rule a lot more sledging,****le, late tackles on play makers has come into the game ( which I think is more detrimental to the game than the occasional scrap) a couple years ago the big boys would quickly sort that stuff out and then get on with the game, minus the bull****.

Last edited:

Latest posts