• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

CJ Stander to retire at the end of the season

Must say if it did happen the Bulls would have had a power backrow

6. Stander
7. Marcel Coetzee
8. Duane Vermeulen

I thought the retiring in Ireland thing wasn't a factor anymore, since Stringer went? Plenty of lads with more caps than CJ finished or are finishing their careers in England and if it's an EU thing Sexy Bob is finishing up in Australia.

Potentially there's a clause not allowing him to be in direct competition with Irish clubs in the pro14 but that'd be strangely specific.

I thought the retiring in Ireland thing wasn't a factor anymore, since Stringer went? Plenty of lads with more caps than CJ finished or are finishing their careers in England and if it's an EU thing Sexy Bob is finishing up in Australia.

Potentially there's a clause not allowing him to be in direct competition with Irish clubs in the pro14 but that'd be strangely specific.
He would have to finish his career in the EU to benefit I believe. No idea how Brexit has changed it but Bobert must stand to gain more from Force than what he would get for finishing here

Lads CJ made comment that he is retiring for family and not because of physical issues. Said his body could last 6 more years to hammer point home but journalists spin it remarkably.

Yes that rule is dramatically changed and Rob Kearney is the major example of recent times. Hardly sacrificed all the Leinster years for Force

I should add The Springboks turned back on CJ long before he was capped here. And it was the late Axel Foley who nurtured CJ on behalf of Munster and not Ireland. CJ bought in to this community off the field. I'm based in Limerick and seen what he did always giving time for free. The only comparison I can say is Douggie Howlett when here and based in Cork

CJ is more thought of as he has spent longer here, gave his all and well his off field carry on. A gentleman and he never needed an Irish cap here to earn that respect
Boks never turned their back on him?he was told he won't make it as a loosie as he was small and there's plenty players ahead of him in SA that can't get a shot either.fact is he wouldn't have gotten close to the bok squad,he suited Ireland because Ireland don't breed players like that.

Latest posts