• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Club World Cup

Vieux Talonneur

International
TRF Legend
Country Flag
England
Reading in the Times that a quadrennial competition starting in 2025 involving 16 teams from both hemispheres is close to being agreed. Eight from Heineken Champions Cup, seven from Super Rugby and one Japanese. The detail sounds a bit convoluted.

Being a dinosaur I want to see less cross border stuff, not more. But I guess if the money men think it will work….

Should just have one game IMO between the European champs and Super Rugby camps.
I could live with that.
But even that would (IMO) need to come with a reduction in the European cup, and Prem (T14 is probably okay as they are A] used to it, with a long history, and B] only play the 2 competitions, not trying to squeeze in a bloody pointless cup in as well)

Diamond told RugbyPass: "There is some information around and they have got to an advanced stage and the people who run the Premiership and the owners know what they are doing. With investors like CVC it is important to make the game as global as possible and if you are one of the clubs that gets to the knock out stages of the Heineken Cup then there is going to be an added incentive to play in another competition not every year.

"I am all for it and positive about the way the game is going. We have come through COVID and Brexit and everything is hard work surviving and if people are looking at bringing in more revenue in that is important because we can't cover costs anymore. We need new income streams – absolutely.

"This competition looks really positive and it is not every year and the biggest issue for the players is that wages have gone down. That is why we have to look at ways of bringing new money in."

Mother fuckers are going to be blaming COVID for their money grabs until 2050.

Also want to point out that money grabs only work out if they make money. I can't see this being more than a one and done.

so I read the times article on it

it seems that the Heineken Cup wants to invite Southern Hemisphere teams into the competition every four years

It also mentions that there is still a planned nations championship that if I remember correctly was supposed to be finalized a couple months ago and then nothing came out of that meeting.

Feel the excitement! :p

Personally I couldn't care. From my narrow perspective its interesting to have a Japanese club attend a tournament that several Tier1 unions might not have a presence in.

I suspect this is being pushed by the SH (who need the money more and make up a disproportionate number of the teams) and the NH are happy to give it one shot and see if it comes up trumps and generates revenue (spoiler, it won't).

club rugby is pretty broken in Aus and NZ....and another disjointed comp wont help

I would much rather we concentrated on getting our house in order, a full 20-30 games club season

club rugby is pretty broken in Aus and NZ....and another disjointed comp wont help

I would much rather we concentrated on getting our house in order, a full 20-30 games club season
I was about to say, aren't the current reports speculating all hell is about to break loose in the dipolomatic relations?

I was about to say, aren't the current reports speculating all hell is about to break loose in the dipolomatic relations?
the press loves to say the sky is falling, Rugby Aus seem to want to have more control over their own comp, it might very well work..super rugby certainly isnt doing it so why not

I truly believe if we concentrated on domestic comps...make the NPC great again...and then just a champions league type comp for the top NPC teams we'd have a much more sustainable future

Football has its FIFA Club World Cup, featuring 7 teams, in a comp that lasts about 10 or 11 days; although the two big hitters (current champions of Europe and of South America) enter at the semi-final stage and always win it.

Rugby League has its World Club Challenge, with the winners of Super League and the NRL, playing in a one-off game.

I could live with either format, although a prolonged, proper tournament is a step too far.

And you base that on what exactly?
Based on having watched both teams over the years and including this year.

And having seen over the years how Leinster has been beaten (which is important because it's easy to watch their wins and conclude no team on earth could ever beat them), it's not with crusaders style rugby and it always requires the types of players the crusaders don't possess (apart from tamaiti Williams). The chiefs are the New Zealand team most likely to beat Leinster. But they wouldn't either.

Ireland beating NZ
Mate are you trolling? That was the answer they were looking for. The all blacks lost because of foster and only because of foster. Where have you been?

For the record ireland beating NZ isn't my reasoning for thinking Leinster would beat the crusaders - I thought this before the series. But I did put money on Ireland to win the series, based on how Leinster had played (even though they didn't win ***les) and how Ireland played last year and my expectation of what players we had available and would select

Based on having watched both teams over the years and including this year.

And having seen over the years how Leinster has been beaten (which is important because it's easy to watch their wins and conclude no team on earth could ever beat them), it's not with crusaders style rugby and it always requires the types of players the crusaders don't possess (apart from tamaiti Williams). The chiefs are the New Zealand team most likely to beat Leinster. But they wouldn't either.
Yeah Razor's so dumb he only plays one type of rugby just like the mediocre coaches.

Latest posts