English Arrogance
Staff member
TRF Legend
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
Sale
Opening ceremony on atm so thought I'd put up a thread

Work in Birmingham so pretty pumped for this, watched the baton relay in the jewellery quarter this morning before work

1st 7s match a bit of a mis-match.
Also mis-labelled (wherever it was I looked) as men's

Really should watch some again, I use watch it almost as much as the Olympics and even attended some of Manchester 20 years ago but not really watched them since.

Well, the male 7s commentator has just proven himself a bloody idiot.

He said Portia Woodman's hair is a homage to Shelley-Ann Fraser-Pryce; and that he'd love to see the 2 of them in a foot race, and he's pretty sure Woodman would take SA FP...

That's SA FP who win silver at the World Championships last week, and is probably the best female sprinter in history.

Really should watch some again, I use watch it almost as much as the Olympics and even attended some of Manchester 20 years ago but not really watched them since.
Doesn't help that the 7s circuit dropped off TV, and dropped in funding from the home unions, who subsequently dropped in performance

I'm loving the more inclusive nature of this 7s competition.

First round of the women's competition, then straight into the first round of the men's.

Obvioulsly something they're doing very consciously, just like bringing the Para games into the main even, rather than an after-thought a week or two later

Well, the male 7s commentator has just proven himself a bloody idiot.

He said Portia Woodman's hair is a homage to Shelley-Ann Fraser-Pryce; and that he'd love to see the 2 of them in a foot race, and he's pretty sure Woodman would take SA FP...

That's SA FP who win silver at the World Championships last week, and is probably the best female sprinter in history.
Where to begin…..??

Just checking that this is the same SAFP who has 10 100m clockings equal to or better than Jonny May's best recorded 100m time of 10.71? May could no doubt have gone slightly quicker with dedicated athletics training…..but hasn't, and we consider him jet heeled….for a bloke.

SAFP's 100m gold and 2 silvers in Eugene takes her up to something like 8 individual global ***les, 5 relay ***les and 8 more silvers. A lot of track fans would consider her the owner of 6 of the 10 fastest legitimate 100m times in history. And don't even bother talking speed off the mark - SAFP is the queen there too!

Woodman would need to be more Porsche than Portia to even be in the same postcode.

I like how it gives an opportunity for smaller nations to play against the tier 1 sides,
Malaysia is never going to beat South Africa but what an experience for their players

I like how it gives an opportunity for smaller nations to play against the tier 1 sides,
Malaysia is never going to beat South Africa but what an experience for their players
I was thinking much the same.
Have I ever seen Jamaica or Sri Lanka playing rugby? Possibly Glasgow 2014, but I don't think so.

Complete mis-matches of course - until they play each other; but they'll learn so much, and have such a great time.

Talking of mis-matches; Uganda are definitely keeping Kenya honest here! No rivalry there of course... erm...

That sucks there's a Womens T20 tournament but not a Mens the commonwealth games should be a brilliant way to showcase the sport.

That sucks there's a Womens T20 tournament but not a Mens the commonwealth games should be a brilliant way to showcase the sport.
I'm amazed by that. Even Rio made a bi thing about having both genders for every event.
It might not have got the professionals involved, but that'd make it better!

I'm amazed by that. Even Rio made a bi thing about having both genders for every event.
It might not have got the professionals involved, but that'd make it better!
There T20 world cup this year in India which is likely the most prevailing factor.

But Women's events alongside Men's has proven track record in Cricket in increasing following of it. It'll likely be mostly ignored now.

Yee wins first English gold, absolutely lethal in the run. He's only 8 minutes quicker over 5K than my parkrun PB :oops:

rugby is surprisingly popular in Sri Lanka. Their club games would pop up in my YouTube feed and the production level was really good. Like it would rival Premiership games. The quality of play was rec league but there were decent crowds. I'll be rooting for them.

Australia and Kenya could find themselves in an odd situation if uganda beat Jamaica by a healthy margin tomorrow. Australia would be even on points and they play afterwards.

Just started the morning's rugby.

F*** me Scotland.
Let in a try, then suddenly wake up and score 3 in about a minute!

So whys that not a maul?
4 Kenyans holding up 1 Aussie with the ball, and literally carry him to the touch line.

Would a maul require a 2nd Aussie in there?

Situationally, if ref isn't going to call a maul, they'd have been better off carrying him over his own try line. Kenya were 5-0 up, in the second half. They are up a yellow card period for Aus, and I let earned a throw-in well inside their own half. Carry him over the try line eat tonnes of time, and restart with an attacking 5m scrum.

Latest posts