• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Commonwealth Rugby 7's

DJ Forbes has run through training with no signs of his groin injury, which means DJ Forbes and Liam Messam will likely be the starting forwards...

DJ Forbes
Liam Messam
Sherwin Stowers
Hosea Gear
Tomasi Cama
Ben Smith
Zac Guildford

I'm likeing our chances to be honest. Not righting any other team off just yet, but I wouldn't trade our squad for any other. I actually think Samoa will be the biggest challenge, having had such a dominant circut this year. They definetly have the more experienced squad, but I think just the pure class that is in the NZ squad, such as Gear and Messam, may be the difference.

Meh ... you never know with 7s ... Wales have won the 7s World Cup so you never know, there are a few sides that can win this.

Meh ... you never know with 7s ... Wales have won the 7s World Cup so you never know, there are a few sides that can win this.

Thats right 7s is a hard game to bet on anyone can win really, anyone but Wales. Oops sorry I meant Fiji lol.

Yep, i just read that Australia beat Samoa in the final of the Oceania Sevens in Darwin 34 - 12 ... the games should be great to watch

Yip

Cant see anybody beating NZ this time round. Hopefully SA can manage silver. Wouldve been nice if our selections could have covered some of our players playing in the S14 or CC as well.

Would have gone for:

Jean Deysel
Schalk Brits
Ryan Kankowski

Francois Hougaard
Patrick Lambie
Juan de Jongh
Gio Aplon

No one mentioned Scotland yet. they are in good form having beaten Fiji,USA, Wales, South Africa and Argentina in the Edinburgh 7s a few months ago..

Fair enough they will not win it, but who knows......:D

No one mentioned Scotland yet. they are in good form having beaten Fiji,USA, Wales, South Africa and Argentina in the Edinburgh 7s a few months ago..

Fair enough they will not win it, but who knows......:D

The less said about Scotland 7s the better I think...

The less said about Scotland 7s the better I think...

Sevens isn't really their strong suit.. When i was a bit younger we had a P.E trainee teacher cover every now and then. He was a short curly haired bloke, played amateur club level rugby on saturdays alongside students and tradesmen and worked during the week. He went on a holiday to Scotland where he played a bit of rugby, one thing lead to another and it was found that he had some Scottish blood somewhere along the line. He went on to become a Scottish international sevens player on the circuits for a good few years :lol:

This coming Monday it starts and I for one cannot wait!

It's gonna be a goodun! (if the players don't all come down with Delhi Belly like the swimmers)

It's gonna be a goodun! (if the players don't all come down with Delhi Belly like the swimmers)

Apparently thats been sourced in the practice pool. Personally this Commonwealth Games has been a little bit of a shambles to be honest, stadiums and village have just been completed and this latest bug obviously has to have come from not testing the water properly. I watched the hockey today and the field they were playing on looked terrible. Hopefully the grass at Delhi University will be good for the 7s.

Yeah, you're right, it's been a shambles. ^_^

Gold Silver Bronze Total

1. Australia 32 19 18 69
2. India 14 11 9 34
3. England 12 23 12 47
4. Canada 11 2 11 24
5. South Africa 5 5 6 16

:cool:

It has been a shambles.

I dont think any country would beat Australia in the medal count. Too many good athletes in Aussie thats for sure but thats got nothing to do with the disorganisation here and there in these games.

Yeah, you're right, it's been a shambles. ^_^

Gold Silver Bronze Total

1. Australia 32 19 18 69
2. India 14 11 9 34
3. England 12 23 12 47
4. Canada 11 2 11 24
5. South Africa 5 5 6 16

:cool:

HAHA, good one Haysie ... didn't you have 33 golds ... oh that's right, you had one taken off you ;)

Anyway, heres the stats that count

Sevens Rugby Commonwealth Games Medals 1998-2006

New Zealand 3 Golds
Fiji 2 Silvers, 1 Bronze
England 1 Silver
South Africa 1 Bronze
Australia 1 Bronze (and you won that last Millennium) :p

:D

HAHA, good one Haysie ... didn't you have 33 golds ... oh that's right, you had one taken off you ;)

Anyway, heres the stats that count

Sevens Rugby Commonwealth Games Medals 1998-2006

New Zealand 3 Golds
Fiji 2 Silvers, 1 Bronze
England 1 Silver
South Africa 1 Bronze
Australia 1 Bronze (and you won that last Millennium) :p

:D

One gold, one silver and a potential gold actually! :D

Stayed up till the wee hours to watch Sally race and I think she deserved that medal... Clearly the fastest in the Commonwealth over 100m and she didn't even break first, I don't know what the Nigerians and Poms were basing their claims on. Ah well, another reason to hate England come AI time :cool:

One gold, one silver and a potential gold actually! :D :

Well I've been known to be wrong before, but I based my table on the following results from Wikipedia ... anyway I agree that the "potential gold" is the one that counts :D

Games Year Host city Host country Medallists Gold Silver Bronze
XVI 1998 Kuala Lumpur Malaysia New Zealand Fiji Australia
XVII 2002 Manchester England New Zealand Fiji South Africa
XVIII 2006 Melbourne Australia New Zealand England Fiji

Stayed up till the wee hours to watch Sally race and I think she deserved that medal... Clearly the fastest in the Commonwealth over 100m and she didn't even break first, I don't know what the Nigerians and Poms were basing their claims on. Ah well, another reason to hate England come AI time :cool:

I was listening to it via NZ Radio Sports on the internet ... they couldn't understand why she wasn't pulled out at the same time as the English woman, and made to race under protest like her (apparently it doesn't matter who breaks first, it's if you break too early within a certain time of when the gun goes off) ... anyway, she'll probably win her hurdles event, so she probably won't leave empty handed

... anyway I agree that the "potential gold" is the one that counts :D

I was listening to it via NZ Radio Sports on the internet ... they couldn't understand why she wasn't pulled out at the same time as the English woman, and made to race under protest like her (apparently it doesn't matter who breaks first, it's if you break too early within a certain time of when the gun goes off) ... anyway, she'll probably win her hurdles event, so she probably won't leave empty handed

Isn't it always? :lol:

Exactly, Pearson should have been DQ'd at the very start or not DQ'd at all. I do a little bit of running myself and the reason they introduced the "one break - DQ" rule was to stop teams like the Jamaican team (When they have more than one competitor in a race) breaking more than once on purpose to psyche the other runners out. I know SmartCooky is going to kill me for even mentioning the word "Interpretation" around here, but surely there has to be some common sense when these laws are applied?
In the end, Sally Pearson and the English runner were one thousandth of a second apart in their early break, well beyond human reaction times, so effectively they did go at the same time.
Doesn't mean I have to like it :mad: Haha!
She's absolutely distraught, the interviews we've been seeing at home are only highlighting the flaws in the official policy and how poorly it was all handled.
I'm sure she'll smash the hurdles! :D

In other news, did anyone hear about the electronic scoreboard collapsing at the University that's hosting the 7s?

Only a few hours to go now before the Sevens starts up - I'm really looking forward to it. Just thought I'd breakdown who I think will go through the pool stages etc:

Group A (Canada, Guyana, New Zealand, Scotland): I'm obviously expecting New Zealand to win the pool, but the battle for second between Scotland and Canada will be interesting. Its good to see big Justin Mensah-Coker playing for Canada - I think he could do a lot of damage with his size and pace. I'm going to predict Canada to win beat Scotland in a close match, though wouldn't be surprised to see Scotland beat Canada.

Group B (India, South Africa, Tonga, Wales): South Africa were relatively disappointing in the Sevens world series this year (finishing sixth), and have quite a few players ruled out through injury (Frankie Horne, Mpho Mbiyozo, Neil Powell, Kyle Brown, Sampie Mastriet, Branco du Preez). However they do still have some quality sevens players such as Chase Minnaar, Paul Delport, and Ryno Benjamin, and as such should start as favourites to take out the group, however the likes of Wales or Tonga could cause an upset. The battle between Wales and Tonga will also be interesting - I'm not familiar with many names in the Tonga team, but they typically put out pretty strong teams for the commonwealth games. The Welsh team looks reasonably strong to me - Richie Pugh is a very good sevens player, and I will be interested to see how youngsters Tom Prydie and Kristian Phillips. I'm South Africa to take out the group, with Wales edging out Tonga for second place.

Group C (Kenya, Malaysia, Papua New Guinea, Samoa): I'd expect Samoa to comfortably take out this group, with Kenya in second. Samoa will be missing their star playmaker Uale Mai, who is off playing professional rugby in Spain - he will be a huge loss to them. Despite this they still have a very strong team featuring the likes of Ofisa Treviranus and Simaika Mikaele in the forwards, with Lolo Lui and Mikkaele Pesamino (top try scorer on the sevens circuit this year) in the backs. Kenya has an experienced team, that should be too good for Papua New Guinea an Malaysia.

Group D (Australia, England, Sri Lanka, Uganda): Two horse race here, between Australia and England. Australia will probably start as slight favourites, however I have feeling England may get the better of them. The Australian team is loaded with attacking talent with the likes of Nick Cummins, Lachie Turner, Kimani Sitauti and Luke Morahan, however I don't think they have enough quality forwards to secure the ball. In their forwards they only really have two recognized 'fetchers' in Pat McCutcheon and Liam Gill - while these two are both exceptional sevens players, I think they would have befitted in having a few more forwards in their squad. In contrast I think the English squad is much better balanced, with established forwards such as Isoa Damudamu, James Rodwell, and Chris Cracknell, exceptional playmakers in Kevin Barrett and Ben Gollings, and some young talented backs such as Dan Caprice and Daniel Norton. I'm picking England to win the pool, with Australia in second.

Overall I'm picking New Zealand to win (beating Samoa in the final), but am not overly confident - indeed if Samoa had Uale Mai in their squad I'd actually pick them as favourites. Much will depend on whether the likes of Tamasi Cama and DJ Forbes are up to full fitness after recovering from their injuries. I'm picking England to beat South Africa in the play-off for bronze.

I think New Zealand will start the following team for the key matches:
Forbes, Raikabula, Messem, Cama, Smith/Arnold/Baker, Stowers, Gear.

Not sure yet who they will pick out of Smith, Arnold, and Baker - personally I'd choose Smith, but he lacks the sevens experience of the other two. Souness would be the unlucky one not to start, but I feel he would be a key man to come off the bench to replace either Messem or Forbes. Guildford, and the two of Smith/Arnold/Baker that don't start could also be key men off the bench against tiring defenses.

Only a few hours to go now before the Sevens starts up - I'm really looking forward to it. Just thought I'd breakdown who I think will go through the pool stages etc:

Group A (Canada, Guyana, New Zealand, Scotland): I'm obviously expecting New Zealand to win the pool, but the battle for second between Scotland and Canada will be interesting. Its good to see big Justin Mensah-Coker playing for Canada - I think he could do a lot of damage with his size and pace. I'm going to predict Canada to win beat Scotland in a close match, though wouldn't be surprised to see Scotland beat Canada.

Group B (India, South Africa, Tonga, Wales): South Africa were relatively disappointing in the Sevens world series this year (finishing sixth), and have quite a few players ruled out through injury (Frankie Horne, Mpho Mbiyozo, Neil Powell, Kyle Brown, Sampie Mastriet, Branco du Preez). However they do still have some quality sevens players such as Chase Minnaar, Paul Delport, and Ryno Benjamin, and as such should start as favourites to take out the group, however the likes of Wales or Tonga could cause an upset. The battle between Wales and Tonga will also be interesting - I'm not familiar with many names in the Tonga team, but they typically put out pretty strong teams for the commonwealth games. The Welsh team looks reasonably strong to me - Richie Pugh is a very good sevens player, and I will be interested to see how youngsters Tom Prydie and Kristian Phillips. I'm South Africa to take out the group, with Wales edging out Tonga for second place.

Group C (Kenya, Malaysia, Papua New Guinea, Samoa): I'd expect Samoa to comfortably take out this group, with Kenya in second. Samoa will be missing their star playmaker Uale Mai, who is off playing professional rugby in Spain - he will be a huge loss to them. Despite this they still have a very strong team featuring the likes of Ofisa Treviranus and Simaika Mikaele in the forwards, with Lolo Lui and Mikkaele Pesamino (top try scorer on the sevens circuit this year) in the backs. Kenya has an experienced team, that should be too good for Papua New Guinea an Malaysia.

Group D (Australia, England, Sri Lanka, Uganda): Two horse race here, between Australia and England. Australia will probably start as slight favourites, however I have feeling England may get the better of them. The Australian team is loaded with attacking talent with the likes of Nick Cummins, Lachie Turner, Kimani Sitauti and Luke Morahan, however I don't think they have enough quality forwards to secure the ball. In their forwards they only really have two recognized 'fetchers' in Pat McCutcheon and Liam Gill - while these two are both exceptional sevens players, I think they would have befitted in having a few more forwards in their squad. In contrast I think the English squad is much better balanced, with established forwards such as Isoa Damudamu, James Rodwell, and Chris Cracknell, exceptional playmakers in Kevin Barrett and Ben Gollings, and some young talented backs such as Dan Caprice and Daniel Norton. I'm picking England to win the pool, with Australia in second.

Overall I'm picking New Zealand to win (beating Samoa in the final), but am not overly confident - indeed if Samoa had Uale Mai in their squad I'd actually pick them as favourites. Much will depend on whether the likes of Tamasi Cama and DJ Forbes are up to full fitness after recovering from their injuries. I'm picking England to beat South Africa in the play-off for bronze.

I think New Zealand will start the following team for the key matches:
Forbes, Raikabula, Messem, Cama, Smith/Arnold/Baker, Stowers, Gear.

Not sure yet who they will pick out of Smith, Arnold, and Baker - personally I'd choose Smith, but he lacks the sevens experience of the other two. Souness would be the unlucky one not to start, but I feel he would be a key man to come off the bench to replace either Messem or Forbes. Guildford, and the two of Smith/Arnold/Baker that don't start could also be key men off the bench against tiring defenses.

Agree with everything except i cant see Souness being left on the bench. I could see Messam moving to Hooker and Souness taking a propping spot over Raikabula, that would really drive home a power and fetching advantage that Teitjens has been so fond of in the last few years.

I also don't see this New Zealand side as being as stacked with talent as people are making out, especially when compared to previous teams. I'm not fussed with the selections at all. The thing that im particularly disappointed about is the lack of young up and coming players. This would have been a great opportunity to unleash Beauden Barrett, Julian Savea, Lima Sopoaga or Gillies Kaka

Latest posts