• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Commonwealth Rugby 7's

Good game both teams. I had a good feeling NZ were gonna win but the Aussies definately made a game of it. Could this be a sign of things to come for Aussie 7s?...good final.

Cannot believe there is bickering over some singing ... its not the X-Factor :)

Couldn't agree more. I couldn't care less which teams in which sport have more choir practice, lol. The only X-Factor should be that awesome quality that allows players to break the line.

All in all I really enjoyed the sevens tournament. Sherwin Stowers for Player Of The Tournament for me. :)

its part of the nz-australian rivalry, new zealanders hate it when australia celebrate their wins and in their minds australia are cocky as hell, but i realize most of the time it only seems that way to us because we're the opposition. so in response we end up acting like the cocky ******** too. kiwis still haven't forgiven gregan for his "4 more years" remarks in the 03 world cup

Frustrating as hell. If I were Cummins, I wouldn't have stopped the tackle. <_<

PGN were really impressive. Considering they are on such a shoestring budjet and the players themselves come from very humble backgrounds. Saw that interview with Shane Howath and he made a comment about how he's never seen so many bottles of powerade disapear into players backpacks. Pretty funny stuff hehe. Yet they won two games and got better with every game they played.

I don't think England have a very good chance of a medal, based on their squad and performance through last seasons 7s circuit.
I think it'll be between the Trinations squads, possibly: G: NZ, S: AU, B: SA

Called it. Lol

Haha, good prediction Olyy, I'd rep you for that if I could.

It was a very enjoyable tornement, I watched every game with interest. Some of the teams were a bit disapointing like Samoa, Tonga and Kenya, but overall it was a very good tornement.

I think the PNG boys were all 7's players, but they probably likely have a league back ground. I definetly think there is great room for expansion, and it frustrates me that it is likely that PNG won't feature on the 7's circut, with the budget their on. It's great to see nations like Kenya being taken seriously in rugby 7's, and it suprises me that players like Collin Injera aren't snapped up by at least semi professional teams. Here was PNG vs Tonga.

Last edited by a moderator:
kenya did ok, they went through the pool unbeaten i think. They did better than their recent form suggests.

I thought england would have done better, they did beat Australia at the end of day one. NZ were just too much for them though.

I think the final was made to look a lot closer than it was because of the yellow card Messam got. Both the cards he got were pretty weak - high tackle penalty yes, yellow card no a ref shouldn't give a card out like that in the final unless they it's for something bad like a punch or dangerous play - it ruins the contest. But it's not just the time being down a man but also the extra work the players have to do to try and make up for it, takes a lot out of the players and it evened the game out for a while till the fresh players came on.

kenya did ok, they went through the pool unbeaten i think. They did better than their recent form suggests.

I thought england would have done better, they did beat Australia at the end of day one. NZ were just too much for them though.

I think the final was made to look a lot closer than it was because of the yellow card Messam got. Both the cards he got were pretty weak - high tackle penalty yes, yellow card no a ref shouldn't give a card out like that in the final unless they it's for something bad like a punch or dangerous play - it ruins the contest. But it's not just the time being down a man but also the extra work the players have to do to try and make up for it, takes a lot out of the players and it evened the game out for a while till the fresh players came on.

i disagree - it made one :p

yeah i thought they changed the way they hand out yellow cards.

even worse in the kenya vs australia quarter final, one of the kenyan players was yellow carded for knocking the ball on lmao. i mean sure knocking the ball on on purpose is a professional foul but i don't think that warrants a yellow card and that ruined that contest too

great game, I always knew NZ would win they had so much more firepower on the bench and those players were also very experienced

As for bakers gloating, great stuff! Aussies have been piping NZ at the post all the way through these games so it's good to get one up on them. And what else do you expect from a skinny mullet head white kid from the naki? :)

He is from Palmy, went to Palmy Boys and played for Manawatu before the threat of the turbos being relegated forced his and Andre Taylor's hands into signing for taranaki, only to find the turbos stayed up anyway. Boy would we love to have those two back.

I loved watching PNG... they probably had more money spent on their uniforms and tickets to Delhi than they've had spent on training all season! Great to see the little guys do so well. (although they weren't very little)
Kenya also played very well.

PNG were really good. Their game against Tonga surprised me alot...
They were coached by a former All Black after all.

Probably PNG's most amazing show of talent.
The pace of some of those guys, looked like some of the quickest I've evern seen on a rugby field.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been away for the last few days, paying people to burn my eyeballs with a high powered laser beam, so haven't had a chance to comment so far...

Overall I'm happy with the result for New Zealand. I thought DJ Forbes played well for NZ considering the limited rugby he had in the build up, while I was a bit disappointed in Messem, but I was probably expecting too much from him given he hadn't played sevens at the top level for a number of years. Baker and Smith were solid, as was Hosea Gear, while Stowers was impressive when he came on - the tactic of bringing on Stowers later in the game against a tiring defense worked really well. I was impressed with the quality of the Australian side - their loss to England on the first day actually put them on the easier side of the draw, but they certainly deserved their spot in the final.

On PNG: Before the professional era PNG used to have quite a reasonable sevens team - they frequently featured strongly at the Hong Kong sevens during the 90's. They weren't generally in top tier of teams, but frequently featured strongly in the plate or bowl competitions. I think money is their major obstacle, as they clearly possess a number of talented sevens players.

On PNG: Before the professional era PNG used to have quite a reasonable sevens team - they frequently featured strongly at the Hong Kong sevens during the 90's. They weren't generally in top tier of teams, but frequently featured strongly in the plate or bowl competitions. I think money is their major obstacle, as they clearly possess a number of talented sevens players.

Yeah thats right, PNG has impressed me long ago. Everytime I see them I expect men in great physical condition, speed and raw attacking ability, they always meet my expectations. No doubt they can't afford (all due respect) to field a team as regularly as we'd like.

Im surprised the Aussie Rugby clubs havent harboured the promising youth of PNG 'cos maybe some can be persuaded to play for the Wallabies. Bound to get a superstar from PNG, no doubt.

Yeah thats right, PNG has impressed me long ago. Everytime I see them I expect men in great physical condition, speed and raw attacking ability, they always meet my expectations. No doubt they can't afford (all due respect) to field a team as regularly as we'd like.

Im surprised the Aussie Rugby clubs havent harboured the promising youth of PNG 'cos maybe some can be persuaded to play for the Wallabies. Bound to get a superstar from PNG, no doubt.
Umm, does Will Genia count? He played youth rugby in Australia though.

Umm, does Will Genia count? He played youth rugby in Australia though.

Oh yes I forgot Genia is PNGuinean, with his strong Aussie accent and rather lighter skin than his fellow countryman, its quite easy to forget. Yep he does count for ONE but as we've seen on this threads videos there are others that I think would've been interesting had they played premier Rugby in Australia.

Still funny though that they've (AUS) have only got Will and here we are looking at clips of other PNGs, in this years CG 7s, who could have been snapped up earlier. It would've been good for these guys to make a living out of playing Rugby and to see the world of Rugby more and vice versa.

I didn't know will will from PNG i though he was Aborigine or and Islander.

Latest posts