• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Connacht Vs Ospreys

F

feicarsinn

<div align='center'>
connachtiw6.png
ospreysmf2.png
</div>
Well seeing as Tarbh isn't around much at the mo I thought I'd start the ML match threads( If He shows Up hes welcome to them but, you know, trying to fill the void.)
Anyway, Ospreys start their season off with a trip to the sportsground knowing that every game is vital if they are to reach the newly introduced playoff semi finals. While the O's are sure to be short of their Lions contingent (if theres any sence in the world) they still should be aiming for the full five points against the League's perennial minnows. Hopefully we'll se Jerry Collins strut his stuff for the first time in the black and gold and maybe recapture some of his form of old, which eluded him at Toulon.

Connacht on the other hand will be looking to improve on last season's 3-16 loss. Despite not having added any real quality, they've cut out alot of the dead wood from the squad while hanging on to crucial players such as Ian Keatley, Fionn Carr and Sean Cronin.

Should be Ospreys by at least ten but I don't see them getting the try-scroing bonus point. Squads to be announced during the week.

No way are the Ospreys going to play their strongest squad against Connacht on a wet and windy first game, all the way over in Ireland. Still, if they play the team they did in the two friendlies, they're almost guarrenteed a win. Biggar, Walker and Davis may not be Hook, Bowe and Byrne, but they're still a pretty strong squad.

well plenty of the Lions will be rested so a good chance for the fringe Ospreys players to put a marker down before the HEC begins.

Ospreys squad:

Forwards
Duncan Jones, Paul James, Cai Griffiths, Craig Mitchell, Richard Hibbard, Huw Bennett, Andy Lloyd, Ian Gough, Tom Smith, Jerry Collins, Marty Holah, Filo Tiatia, Ryan Jones

Backs
Barry Davies, Gareth Owen, Jonny Vaughton, Nikki Walker, Sonny Parker, Jonathan Spratt, Andrew Bishop, Dan Biggar, James Hook, Tom Isaacs, Mike Phillips

Hook and Phillips are back, (Alongside Ryan Jones, who has been re-established as captain) with Byrne, Bow and AW Jones back in the next few weeks. Shane Williams is out for just under a month, whilst Adam is out for a good four.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DuncTheDoodle @ Sep 1 2009, 04:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Ospreys squad:

Forwards
Duncan Jones, Paul James, Cai Griffiths, Craig Mitchell, Richard Hibbard, Huw Bennett, Andy Lloyd, Ian Gough, Tom Smith, Jerry Collins, Marty Holah, Filo Tiatia, Ryan Jones

Backs
Barry Davies, Gareth Owen, Jonny Vaughton, Nikki Walker, Sonny Parker, Jonathan Spratt, Andrew Bishop, Dan Biggar, James Hook, Tom Isaacs, Mike Phillips

Hook and Phillips are back, (Alongside Ryan Jones, who has been re-established as captain) with Byrne, Bow and AW Jones back in the next few weeks. Shane Williams is out for just under a month, whilst Adam is out for a good four.[/b]

Hi Dunc

Looking at your squad there only seems to be 2 locks named. Do you think this could be a problem if one of them gets injured early in the game?

I was thinking this myself, and Andy Lloyd isn't even a lock!!! I would have thought seeing as he played in both pre-season games that Richard Kelly would be named, with Tom Smith dropping out of the squad as we have sufficient back-row cover.
As it is, if one does get crocked, Filo will step in as he has played in the second row for us on a number of occasions in the past. :)
Us by 15.

Before I forget:
Connacht: G Duffy; B Tuohy, N Ta'auso, K Matthews, F Carr; I Keatley, F Murphy; B Wilkinson, S Cronin, R Morris; A Browne, B Upton; J Muldoon (capt), R Ofisa, M McComish.
Replacements: A Flavin, J Hagan, M Swift, J O'Connor, C O'Loughlin, M Nikora, T Nathan.

Ospreys: Barry Davies; Jonny Vaughton, Sonny Parker, Andrew Bishop, Nikki Walker; Dan Biggar, Mike Phillips; Duncan Jones, Richard Hibbard, Cai Griffiths, Ian Gough, Andy Lloyd, Jerry Collins, Marty Holah, Ryan Jones (capt).
Replacements: Huw Bennett, Paul James, Tom Smith, Filo Tiatia, Tom Isaacs, James Hook, Jonathan Spratt.

Th Ospreys starting XV:

15 Barry Davies
14 Jonny Vaughton
13 Sonny Parker
12 Andrew Bishop
11 Nikki Walker
10 Dan Biggar
9 Mike Phillips

1 Duncan Jones
2 Richard Hibbard
3 Cai Griffiths
4 Ian Gough
5 Andy Lloyd
6 Jerry Collins
7 Marty Holah
8 Ryan Jones ©

Replacements:

16 Huw Bennett
17 Paul James
18 Tom Smith
19 Filo Tiatia
20 Tom Isaacs
21 James Hook
22 Jonathan Spratt

EDIT: Oh, it's above, so, erm, I'll offer a comment on it as well.

Good to see Ryan Jones back at No. 8, always was his best position, so seeing him always shifted around was a pain. Hopefully the Ospreys shall contuine to play him there.

As mentioned, we've got three players able to cover centre on the bench, but the one lock is usually a No. 8. No cover for the wings at all, as well. Still, it's a strong squad. Mike Phillips should casue a few punch ups, and Barry Davis should prove why people are sayign he'll genuinly push lee Byrne for a starting spot.

Connacht's Backline (to my complete surprise) is pretty much on par with the Osprey's, but the Hairsray pack will eat Connacht's poor boys alive. If the Ospreys play proper rugby they could win by 15 points or more, if they throw it around without a gameplan like they did a few times last season Connacht could well win.

I'll be interested to see how Tuohy gets on. I seem to remember him carving it up in the AIL last year. Big step up though.

Was he not playing in the English ND1 last year? Anyway, he looked good in the '08 Churchill cup.

I like Niva Ta'auso too, he reminds me of Tipoki. 100% commitment, quick feet, not afraid to "put his body on the line". I felt his fitness let him down a bit last season though, hopefully he has sorted himself out.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MunsterMan @ Sep 4 2009, 05:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Was he not playing in the English ND1 last year? Anyway, he looked good in the '08 Churchill cup.

I like Niva Ta'auso too, he reminds me of Tipoki. 100% commitment, quick feet, not afraid to "put his body on the line". I felt his fitness let him down a bit last season though, hopefully he has sorted himself out.[/b]
Yeah, Touhy was playing in England for the last two seasons. When he was with Shannon he was scoring tries for fun though.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MunsterMan @ Sep 4 2009, 05:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Connacht's Backline (to my complete surprise) is pretty much on par with the Osprey's, but the Hairsray pack will eat Connacht's poor boys alive. If the Ospreys play proper rugby they could win by 15 points or more, if they throw it around without a gameplan like they did a few times last season Connacht could well win.[/b]
I'd say the only real weakness in the Ospreys backline is Vaugaton. Besides that, Biggar is my biggest concern, and even then they've got James Hook on the bench.

Either the game is going to be really close, or Connacht are going to get a hammering.

12-19 final score. Huw Bennet scored the only try of the game, Hook and Biggar sharing kicks for the Ospreys, and Keatley kicknig all of Connacht's points.

Latest posts