• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[COVID-19] General Discussion

I also think conspiracy theories have spread even faster in our day and age what with social media.
This has definitely played a huge part. I've mentioned it before, but if you haven't watched the social dilemma, then go and watch it. Social media has completely automated systems designed to keep you scrolling or coming back for more. There is zero regulation. You don't even have to click on a link, they will analyse how long you stop scrolling to look at something and that feeds into the data. The algorithms then provide you with content it thinks will get you to click. So if you click a conspiracy video on YouTube, YouTube will just send you more links that are similar. It's so easy with social media to get into the conspiracy black hole because they social media sites are actually sending you more and more links regardless of if they are appropriate or false. There is no human element in the process to question whether it is the right thing to do. It is simply an algorithm getting you to keep on clicking, regardless of the damage it does.

The easy answers offered by conspiracy theories and the attraction of being part of a special group in the know.

This is the one i think is causing the most trouble because people do it both consciously and unconsciously. There are people out there that KNOW what they're saying it untrue.....but they like feeling special, they like people thinking they're special because they "knew" something others didn't....and they attract those more susceptible to being manipulated or those that hate being average, because they can be "in the know" too....and then they get even more stubborn the more the general population opposes them because their special group is even more exclusive or persecuted....and it just becomes self fulfilling

This has definitely played a huge part. I've mentioned it before, but if you haven't watched the social dilemma, then go and watch it. Social media has completely automated systems designed to keep you scrolling or coming back for more. There is zero regulation. You don't even have to click on a link, they will analyse how long you stop scrolling to look at something and that feeds into the data. The algorithms then provide you with content it thinks will get you to click. So if you click a conspiracy video on YouTube, YouTube will just send you more links that are similar. It's so easy with social media to get into the conspiracy black hole because they social media sites are actually sending you more and more links regardless of if they are appropriate or false. There is no human element in the process to question whether it is the right thing to do. It is simply an algorithm getting you to keep on clicking, regardless of the damage it does.

Have added that to my list to watch.

Social media has definitely accelerated the spread of conspiracy theories re: Covid, but the appeal has always been there.

I have also said on here before about the JFK assassination. A book industry flourished from it, film (JFK with Kevin Costner, Tommy Lee Jones). Theories debunked expertly by Gerald Posner in "Case Closed" and also Vincent Bugliosi's even more detailed book.

Reading some of the theories that appealed them and still now, show it's not a new phenomena. But also how crazy it can get (mix of a POTUS getting killed with the threat of WW3 starting) and how people can go down a rabbit holes even without social media and algorithms.

And here Furlough is ending leaving 1 million in limbo. Has to end eventually. But it's a cliff edge and many falling off it with how this Govt has handled it, together with cut to UC.

cpwotozynql7KYapvgQkVP6CW54QpfvQ3nDlDCOJMCs.jpg

Lol if you only go into the office on Tues, Wednesday and Thursday you're labelled a "TWAT."

Last edited:

Last edited:

Latest posts