• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[COVID-19] General Discussion

The self-centredness of these people is staggering. Thousands and potentially millions around the world die all because N.Ireland allowed abortions? How does that fuckwit explain all the other countries that allowed abortions without sparking a global pandemic?

This DUP councillor is no better than conspiracy theorists who push their agenda. Take a World crisis and match it to their beliefs and spout it to appeal to like minded people. They should be challenged and their nonsense disproved like all other conspiracy theorists who can't back up their claim.

The fact that 'experts' think that not cancelling Cheltenham is a good idea doesn't inspire confidence that they know what they're doing IMO.
Andrew Parker-Bowles, Lee Mack and footballer Charlie Austin among others now saying they think they picked up the virus at Cheltenham.

As we all said on here it should never have gone ahead but didn't any of these think there might just be a teeny weeny chance that mixing with tens of thousands of others might not be a great idea. I mean, really?

Andrew Parker-Bowles, Lee Mack and footballer Charlie Austin among others now saying they think they picked up the virus at Cheltenham.

As we all said on here it should never have gone ahead but didn't any of these think there might just be a teeny weeny chance that mixing with tens of thousands of others might not be a great idea. I mean, really?
I'm only throwing this out there but how do they picked it up a at Cheltenham? It finished 3 weeks ago well beyond the incubation period. Either way little sympathy to those who went much like those who broke social distancing on Mothering Sunday weekend. It was clear to anyone with half a brain that maybe going to crowded events was possibly not the wisest move even without The Jockey Club or Government closing it down.

Unemployment numbers in the USA now up 6.6million.
Initial estimates were they'd top out at 2m.

6.6 is twice as high as the previous record (set last week) which was almost 5 times higher than the previous record.

Insane figures, and some are predicting this could triple as more service/retail jobs shut down

This is doing the rounds on facebook currently, thought I'd share on the whole testing front.

"I'm so angry at the coverage regarding testing.

Labs don't have spare space. As a service, we have been understaffed and underfunded FOR YEARS. We've been forced into consolidation of workload across 29 central sites as a result of a top-down re-organisation of pathology. There are dozens of small labs across the country that have been stripped of the ability to carry out all but the most urgent of tests, resulting in the loss of lab space, expertise, equipment and staff! Now take a stripped back pathology service and add a pandemic! ******* MAGIC!

Do you know why your COVID tests are taking ages? They're being put in a van and taken to the local "big lab". My local big lab is running the COVID tests for at least FIVE hospitals, and their attached local areas. What the **** do you think is happening in labs like that? I don't know the exact number of testing labs, but 15,000 tests across 29 sites is nearly five hundred a day, rising to nearly 1000 if we make good on the government's target. And these labs haven't randomly acquired extra analysers capable of testing for COVID, or randomly acquired enough experienced BMSs to run brand new, technically intricate tests, or that they're not having to self-isolate, or going down with COVID themselves from handling these things. The rest of the workload hasn't magically disappeared either!

I'm lucky. My small lab is in the process of being closed, so we have two analysers capable of testing. The government haven't taken them yet. But here's the thing - this is a brand new virus. There are many different suppliers of test kits out there. Your current analyser determines the test kits you can run. And everyone and his dog wants COVID testing at the moment, so there are supply issues. And even when you've sourced a kit for your analyser, you can't just run a test for a brand new virus without proving that it does what it says it does! In other words: false positives and false negatives! That process takes time and remember - we're stripped of staff, resources, time etc. etc. etc.

My little lab is in the process of validating one test from one supplier right now. But it might not work - after all, it's brand new! It might be better to send stuff up to the big lab for a better result. After all, what's the point in running a test that's going to call your COVID positive patient negative? So which is worse - have a **** result now, or a safe result in 24 hours?

Labs aren't lazy, or inefficient. We're just as ****** as the clinical areas - trying to do our jobs safely and efficiently, after years of being squeezed and squeezed and having to do more for less. I want to do my bit. I'm desperate to contribute to this. I didn't enter the NHS for the money or the glory. But for FUCKS sake - I don't have spare, validated kits, analysers or trained staff in my pocket, and neither do those poor ********, working flat out in the big labs. Put yourself in our shoes before you take a massive **** on us!"

This is doing the rounds on facebook currently, thought I'd share on the whole testing front.

Ach. Depressing.

I've said my piece on how ******** and the rest had to get the ball rolling start of Feb, not mid-March.

But we are where we are.

Are the skills for this unique to the field or can others from similar areas* be pulled in and retrained to at least spread the workload and reduce fatigue? [figuring its quicker to retrain from a higher baseline than from scratch]

*thinking of places that'd be regularly working with chemicals and chemical mixes - biochemical research institutes for instance.

I'm only throwing this out there but how do they picked it up a at Cheltenham? It finished 3 weeks ago well beyond the incubation period. Either way little sympathy to those who went much like those who broke social distancing on Mothering Sunday weekend. It was clear to anyone with half a brain that maybe going to crowded events was possibly not the wisest move even without The Jockey Club or Government closing it down.

Hold up. You had Patrick Vallance claiming that effectively it wasn't a priority. He's on record here:

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/the-case-for-the-herd-immunity-strategy

(forgive the source it's the best I could find)

He is the Chief Scientific Advisor to the Government. It's his job to advise the populace what was safe and what was not. So if he wasn't clear that it was a problem why is it reasonable to expect the public at large to do so?

Again this was predicated on "herd immunity" before their plan blew up due to IC doing math based on the real world experience in Italy.

I'm all for people taking personal responsibility but we can't on one hand say "the experts know what they are doing and people should listen" and on the other say "People should use their own judgement".....

Big time fingers crossed for this.

There are now no options left on the table that don't come with an even frightful cost than what's been done already.

Simply have to - if it was relaxed now, the second wave would come straight away and with virtually no ramp up warning it'd be like a Tsunami.
Yeah imagine the traffic to the coast Easter Friday with things are lifted
Ach. Depressing.

I've said my piece on how ******** and the rest had to get the ball rolling start of Feb, not mid-March.

But we are where we are.

Are the skills for this unique to the field or can others from similar areas* be pulled in and retrained to at least spread the workload and reduce fatigue? [figuring its quicker to retrain from a higher baseline than from scratch]

*thinking of places that'd be regularly working with chemicals and chemical mixes - biochemical research institutes for instance.
Boots head office in Nottingham has set up a testing drive through for NHS staff. Lots of pharmacy staff available

I don't really trust information coming out of the States these days - its so political now its hard to separate the wheat from the chaff...

but this would be alarming:

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/04/02/health/aerosol-coronavirus-spread-white-house-letter/index.html

A prestigious scientific panel told the White House Wednesday night that research shows coronavirus can be spread not just by sneezes or coughs, but also just by talking, or possibly even just breathing.

"While the current [coronavirus] specific research is limited, the results of available studies are consistent with aerosolization of virus from normal breathing," according to the letter, written by Dr. Harvey Fineberg, chairman of a committee with the National Academy of Sciences.

Fineberg told CNN that he will wear start wearing a mask when he goes to the grocery store.

It may also be why they are considering revising the position on masks.

It's absolutely a fair shout to call me out on that but equally at the time I think you'll find I was dubious. I think you read his comments then and impact we don't and really won't know the impact of Cheltenham running. All this is apocryphal from celebs three weeks after the event. So it may have none/little as the chappie said back then.

Ach. Depressing.

But we are where we are.

I think it's being done but along with Nightingale hospital 15,000 staff redeployed and all other things it's another cog in the wheel although a very politically charged one. Most NHS staff I know have been redeployed or on all hands in thier normal role.

It basically boils down to not having the resources to ramp than not having the political will to do so. That doesn't come from poor prep since January but from not having the money for a decade.

Every professional has probably been there at work at some point they are told to do a thing but that doesn't mean it can instantly happen or be done at speed the person doing the telling thinks.

Latest posts