• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[COVID-19] General Discussion

Yeah he said "looks like meats back on the menu boys" and ******* devoured Simon Harris, it was a very charismatic note to end on!

Definitely the most appropriate one to use.

It was actually:
It's only a passing thing, this shadow. Even darkness must pass. A new day will come.

That's like asking if the sky is blue. The question is whether more lives 'should' have been saved. Should the government have made better decisions with the information they had and the advice they were given.

Well of course more lives should have been saved. It's crystal clear that this Government was not prepared properly and significant delays led to more deaths than were necessary. I wouldn't be surprised if they kept delaying a public enquiry because they want to delay blame as long as possible. Brexit trade negotiations by the end of the year will be pushed to the front to try and distract and that's not taking into account should a second wave coincide with flu season.

That's like asking if the sky is blue. The question is whether more lives 'should' have been saved. Should the government have made better decisions with the information they had and the advice they were given.
Which is equally like asking if the sky is blue.
Yes, yes they should.
They didn't, because of ideology, nothing more.

I think its more complex than just saying government bad (okay they've been bad there no denying that, the only thing they got right was the messaging when we went into hard lockdown, hell my life is still essentially at that stage).

But as for the death toll would it of been so bad if people paid attention in the week before the strict lock down where we essentially had soft lock down? Lets remember pictures of people on beeches and visiting grannies on mothering Sunday weekend right before this all happened. And the guidelines for the hard lockdown were no real different to the soft one just government were going to enforcing them to happen that lost week likely cost a lot of lives due to exponential growth rates. Now the government rightly deserves to shirk a lot of blame for that they should of gone in hard to begin with but that also has some level of collective responsibility of people as a whole and owners of businesses.

Part of the problem now is also people making really poor decisions about what they can and can't do. Going to places known to be crowded and because of that R is staying deliberately high and government had torpedo'd most of its own messaging in that process making it far harder to control. But I do think a proportion of the blame had to go to people who enforced employee to turn up to work in unsafe environments and those who mad really poor decisions about what to do in their social life.

The worst thing is if the Government and us as a nation don't learn from the mistakes from going into the lockdown earlier. I am thankful to my firm that they sent us home 2 weeks before Bojo announced it. But I just do not trust the Government to do justice to this in any public enquiry, which I think they will just push further down the road because of brexit trade deal. Or bury the findings, which blames them for their slow response, but also their absolute catastrophic treatment of care homes and care home workers, where most of the deaths could have been avoided.

This is not really about playing the blame game, which has been exacerbated by the polarisation of our politics, but learning from our mistakes for a future second wave, if it happens and any future viruses. For not learning from the mistakes from Covid-19 really would be unforgiveable.

Yep. Strong, decisive and competent leadership. Even one of those 3 would be nice.

I'm no scientist but suspect that population density must play a big part. Even so well done NZ and great that fans are going to be able to pile into stadia to watch live rugby.

The worst thing is if the Government and us as a nation don't learn from the mistakes from going into the lockdown earlier. I am thankful to my firm that they sent us home 2 weeks before Bojo announced it. But I just do not trust the Government to do justice to this in any public enquiry, which I think they will just push further down the road because of brexit trade deal. Or bury the findings, which blames them for their slow response, but also their absolute catastrophic treatment of care homes and care home workers, where most of the deaths could have been avoided.

This is not really about playing the blame game, which has been exacerbated by the polarisation of our politics, but learning from our mistakes for a future second wave, if it happens and any future viruses. For not learning from the mistakes from Covid-19 really would be unforgiveable.

The first priority is learning from the mistakes as you say.

But there will also be a complete **** storm coming at some point, this has just been far too serious. The public is in no mood to forgive, Labour is in a much better place, there are many journalists who hate Johnson and the Tories will do what they do best and turn on one of their own.

As well as boycotting GMB, it looks like the government has also boycotted C4 who haven't had any ministers on its programmes for weeks or been allowed to ask Qs at daily briefings. Johnson of course ran away from Andrew Neil during the last election too. Draw your own conclusions.

Yep. Strong, decisive and competent leadership. Even one of those 3 would be nice.

I'm no scientist but suspect that population density must play a big part. Even so well done NZ and great that fans are going to be able to pile into stadia to watch live rugby.

Yeah, huge advantages for NZ with population, population density and being a fairly remote island far away from anyone, they also had a bit more time to review what was going on elsewhere and act. But still, a strong plan well executed so fair play, very jealous.

I'm somewhat hopeful that we're not long behind here (6 weeks or so I'd guess), average number of new cases has been less than 30 a day in the past week and I'd expect to see new deaths trending downward this week as a result. I'll be interested to see what happens if we do get virus free, we have similar advantages to NZ but we can't restrict travel from the occupied six so there's always the risk that if we open up people from the North will carry it down on weekends away and such. (although their numbers are small too)

Yeah, huge advantages for NZ with population, population density and being a fairly remote island far away from anyone, they also had a bit more time to review what was going on elsewhere and act. But still, a strong plan well executed so fair play, very jealous.

I'm somewhat hopeful that we're not long behind here (6 weeks or so I'd guess), average number of new cases has been less than 30 a day in the past week and I'd expect to see new deaths trending downward this week as a result. I'll be interested to see what happens if we do get virus free, we have similar advantages to NZ but we can't restrict travel from the occupied six so there's always the risk that if we open up people from the North will carry it down on weekends away and such. (although their numbers are small too)
"Occupied 6" was close to me withdrawing me like lol haha ;)

Luckily the Nordies seem to be on the right path as well. Obviously much smaller population but good signs.

NZ have done brilliantly but definitely a unique case. Believe the shortest flight to Australia is still five and a half hours.

NZ definitely have a unique set of circumstances that mean they always on a further front foot than other countries with higher population and not integrated international transport election.

However they must applauded for taking a front foot approach, clear guidance to their citizens and not easing off until it was clearly under control.

Luckily the Nordies seem to be on the right path as well. Obviously much smaller population but good signs.

NZ have done brilliantly but definitely a unique case. Believe the shortest flight to Australia is still five and a half hours.

2.5hrs one way and 3.5hrs the other...still not very close

Problem will be Arlene and her "precious union".

She'll want to remove any blockages to movement very quickly - far quicker than would be rational.

How legit is she?
I've never heard of her but a quick google shows she's part of an alt-right party and mucks around with anti-vaxxers?

They also tout her as a leading immunologist but that's not her field of expertise/work?

Demonstrably not true, and a paper came out a few days ago saying it's outright dangerous:
https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(20)31180-6/fulltext

That study was flagged with an Expression of Concern and has now been officially retracted from the journal as the data was junk.

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(20)31324-6/fulltext