• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[COVID-19] General Discussion

Made for all not for under 65s however you have right to believe so if you wish a conspiracy theory doing the FB rounds that ignores science however.
Sorry should read made OK for under 65s. Germany and France have both questioned it's effectiveness to those over 65 despite what WHO have said.

Sorry should read made OK for under 65s. Germany and France have both questioned it's effectiveness to those over 65 despite what WHO have said.
Yeah, that's not the same thing at all.
What happened is that, during the trial phase, there were too few volunteers amongst the over 65s; which meant that, by the end of the trial, there wasn't "good science" to support vaccinating the over 65s (95% confidence interval of efficacy).
France and Germany weren't questioning its effectiveness in the over 65s, they were questioning whether than effectiveness had been proven in the original trials. They were right, it hadn't been proven. It was relying on valid assumptions to think that it would be effective.

We now have the evidence that it is effective in the over 65s via the UK vaccination program - although as it's not a scientifically conducted trial, there is still room for doubt.

There is a huge difference between "made for under 65s" or "made OK for the under 65s" as opposed to "made for everyone, but initially only proven for the under 65s due to sample sizes"
If you want a well-known lesson on the import of sample sizes; look no further than the fable of the tortoise and the hare.

Last edited:
Just had the Astra jab this morning. All very quick and so far arm feels fine. We rocked up early and got it done at 9.30am even though appointment was at 12.10. As long as we were on the list then it wasn't a problem.

Next jab in 3 months. May?

Just had the Astra jab this morning. All very quick and so far arm feels fine. We rocked up early and got it done at 9.30am even though appointment was at 12.10. As long as we were on the list then it wasn't a problem.

Next jab in 3 months. May?
Nice one I'm hoping for mine soon only 59 , but having a genetic heart feel a tad sad as not called yet but happy others having it.

Nice one I'm hoping for mine soon only 59 , but having a genetic heart feel a tad sad as not called yet but happy others having it.

Hang in there. I am sure you'll get the call very soon.

They had 800 plus on the list at the vaccination centre I got mine and the're supposedly doing it 7 days a week.

Just read today they reached the 17 million mark.

Hang in there. I am sure you'll get the call very soon.

They had 800 plus on the list at the vaccination centre I got mine and the're supposedly doing it 7 days a week.

Just read today they reached the 17 million mark.
Yep mate just to add my SIL is clinical nurse lead for my area ( Northants) wife is co-ordinator for 30k at her surgery which is mine also.
I haven't been added as favour dam.
But other half is chasing as in theory as my heart is basically funked I should have had it a few weeks ago.
Me I'm not a cripple and happy to wait my turn.

Every adult to be offered one by the end of July. Very positive news but I wouldn't go on Twitter as it seems full of mental anti vacciers
Personal bugbear here; just on language repeatedly being used by HMG - "offered", "invited".

I'm a frontline medical staff (independent sector). As of 7th January (I think it was) I have been "invited" to have my vaccination.
What that meant in the real world was that no-body invited me, I had to find out for myself that I was now eligible, and then I contact the vaccine centres, who refused to vaccinate me because I was in the independent sector (they were wrong, but they still refused).
This was clarified on 21st January (I think) and they were ordered not to refuse me.

So my "invite" was now that I had to find out for myself that I was eligible, find out for myself that the earlier refusal was wrong, contact the vaccination centres myself and merely argue my case - strongly, and not accept the answers given, and demand to be handed further up the chain until someone agreed that I could be vaccinated. So my "invite" meant that I had to know the rules better than the people applying them, and had to fight my way up the chain - for me that was still county level, I have colleagues that had to provide an email from the SouthWest co-ordinator before they were allowed to book.
But not at my local vaccination centre - the one 1km away, where I'm a registered patient, and which I walk past every day on my way to work. There are 4 centres in Gloucestershire that I'm allowed to book myself in for a vaccine. The nearest is 11km away (realistically 13km due to flooding).
Now I don't have a car, and I refuse to take a bus during a pandemic (local taxi companies aren't running); which meant that, in sub-zero temperatures and flooding of minor roads, I have to either walk a 5-6 hour round trip, or a 2 hour round trip by bike (with however long sat in a sub-zero car park waiting for my appointment, after working up a sweat). I've spoken to my GP - who thinks that Chiropractors don't count as frontline medical staff, even when shown the January clarification that we do - doesn't think there's much risk in spending 30 minutes touching someone because "you don't see many in a day and can leave the door open" (subzero temperatures). CCG can't over-rule him, and I happen to know the massage therapist who rents a room in the practice was automatically offered vaccination in January because she was "essentially one of us" even though she's not allowed to work at the moment.

For me, "invited" or "offered" implies that someone contacted me and invited or offered me to be vaccinated, not 6 weeks of fighting to be given an unrealistic option.

Now the weather has improved, I'm now booked in for Wednesday - 11km away. I've been told that I need to provide proof of employment - despite being self-employed, I won't find out how that goes until I'm already there.

Sorry, it's been... frustrating, and it's not a reflection of the overall roll-out [/rant]

Every adult to be offered one by the end of July. Very positive news but I wouldn't go on Twitter as it seems full of mental anti vacciers
Just doing some basic Maths on this, just to see how feasible that is

Adult UK population is about 51.03 million
UK assumes a rough 75% uptake rate (1 in 4 are complete nutters) 38.27. I could not find a precise figure just one broken down to different groups.
We have vaccinated about 17.5 million leaving 20 to go.

We are currently at 390k a day (including second vaccine so that's our current 'capacity') so that's 53 days. So end mid April giving them 2.5 months to give everyone a vaccine.

Brains melting now by end of July everyone who has already been vaccinated needs their second so that adds 42 days.

We are at 95 days,

We also need to 2nd dose everyone who gets a vaccination now until 8th May. Let's be fair a ratio that number guessing that rough 1st doses per day from will be the % of adult population not to yet be vaccinated. And the rest will be 2nd doses. So about 52% of out capacity between now and 8th May needs a 2 jabs not just one. This number is pure guesswork but seams relatively sane. So 76 days, but it's another 40 days of jabs added.

That's puts us 135 days which is......*drum roll* I've been typing this as working it out so this as much news to me

6th July

Looks like as long supply keeps up and extra complication of 2nd doses doesn't cause a slow down in terms vaccinations per day it's an entire feasible goal.

Sorry, it's been... frustrating, and it's not a reflection of the overall roll-out [/rant]
And now my appointment has been cancelled...
Although it looks like, of the 4 centres in Gloucestershire (that I'm allowed to use) 2 have no appointments at all for the 3 months ahead their online diary goes - so presumably they've hit supply issues (I booked on Thursday, and had several options for this coming week - didn't look further ahead than that)

My dad had his vaccine and had no response. I'm not sure how this works as with the Meningitis(?) jab if you have no response that is actually a bad thing. Others I know who have had it were miserable for about 2 days and felt drained and sore but otherwise ok.

Last edited:
Arm feels bruised still post vaccine and slept whole of yesterday afternoon and evening before as I was pretty wiped. But today not so fatigued.

Good news on data front of stopping serious illness.

My dad had his vaccine and had no response. I'm not sure how this works as with the Meningitis(?) jab if you have no response that is actually a bad thing. Others I know who have had it were miserable for about 2 days and felt drained and sore but otherwise ok.
Typically with vaccines, is not so much that "no response" is bad; but that "strong response" shows that it's getting the immune system fired up, and doing what it's supposed to be.

In the same way that being symptom free doesn't mean you don't have Covid, but having symptoms means that you do - if that makes sense?

With the covid vaccine, it seems that the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines have minimal side effects (or fairly severe and rapid); whilst the AZ vaccine basically gives you symptoms of mildish Covid, starting within 6-24 hours, and typically lasting 24-48

Arm feels bruised still post vaccine and slept whole of yesterday afternoon and evening before as I was pretty wiped. But today not so fatigued.
Me too, I wonder if this means that a hangover and a pasty for lunch prevents covid too! Glad you've over the worst of it. My mother had hers a few Fridays ago and didn't want to do much with the weekend, she was back on form by the following Monday.

Looking at posts here and elsewhere, there seems to be a bit of a postcode lottery determining how well you're treated. I'm booked for my first jab on Thursday (40 and prone to blood clots) despite living in an area with a higher average age than most.

Latest posts