• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[COVID-19] General Discussion

Gyms April 12th

I'll believe it when I see it, but at least it gives me something to look forward to (before the traditional u-turn)

Gyms April 12th

I'll believe it when I see it, but at least it gives me something to look forward to (before the traditional u-turn)
I have a Half Marathon on May 23rd with 14.5k runners (supposedly). I've always thought it was big ask so will be interesting to see how it goes.

Still training for it mind, got nothing else to aim for race wise.

Johnson thinks all limits gone by 21st June that feels very optimistic.....I was hoping he wouldn't put dates on things but he couldn't help himself.

Yes, what happened to restrictions being lifted based on data rather than dates?

Too be honest I'm quite pleased with this. Schools have been given priority which is good and the other time scales seem reasonable as long there isn't a spike in numbers or a new varient etc etc and if there is the government reacts accordingly.

My parents 2nd jab is in April and they have booked a caravan holiday in May which fits in to this plan which I'm really pleased about because they have been stuck at home for covid and other things for 2 years now.

Fingers crossed me and the kids will be camping in Devon come August and I am hoping that the local might open its beer garden in April..

As a teacher I think all kids back in one go is ridiculous. Simple fact is that currently most transmissions still happening are based around schools. Last half term 1 class was off twice in 6 weeks and that's just key worker children. Also there will only be 3 weeks before Easter. Why not have a staggered approach with half classes alternating and see if it has an impact first. This could well see the virus spread around before Easter and then when people move about during Easter as they will, it will just spread further again.

That's pretty much my attitude to it where the data, where are the target figures? I'd feel a lot more relaxed if we knew what they were.

The traffic light system proposed by Blair's think tank made more sense to me than all restrictions lifted by 21 June.

I just think Bojo is falling into the same trap as before and trying to please his backbenchers/desperate to get the economy up and running again by providing this road map.

Although I am glad he's done away with the tier system, at least the traffic light system also reflected the infection rate at a local level. That Combined with the current vaccination program, test and trace and clear financial support for those who test positive to self isolate was the way to go for the rest of the year IMO.

The traffic light system proposed by Blair's think tank made more sense to me than all restrictions lifted by 21 June.

I just think Bojo is falling into the same trap as before and trying to please his backbenchers/desperate to get the economy up and running again by providing this road map.

Although I am glad he's done away with the tier system, at least the traffic light system also reflected the infection rate at a local level. That Combined with the current vaccination program, test and trace and clear financial support for those who test positive to self isolate was the way to go for the rest of the year IMO.
He's repeatedly saying "not before" on each date

Yeah he said that last year when he put dates forth last year even though numbers didn't back him up he continued with reducing lockdown anyway. After that screw up he waited until it was completely out of control to do anything. That costs 10's of thousands of deaths.

So yeah I'd rather it was linked to numbers than dates otherwise holding him to account become hard.

Yeah he said that last year when he put dates forth last year even though numbers didn't back him up he continued with reducing lockdown anyway. After that screw up he waited until it was completely out of control to do anything. That costs 10's of thousands of deaths.

So yeah I'd rather it was linked to numbers than dates otherwise holding him to account become hard.
Have you just heard Chris Whittys explanation? 5 weeks between each step, if the data is correct then the step gets lifted

Have you just heard Chris Whittys explanation? 5 weeks between each step, if the data is correct then the step gets lifted
He can explain all he likes, last time the data didn't back it up, they still rigidly stuck to the date and people died. I have zero trust in this government not to do exactly same thing.

It's about holding them to account and we can't do that if they don't tell us the exact criteria.

He can explain all he likes, last time the data didn't back it up, they still rigidly stuck to the date and people died. I have zero trust in this government not to do exactly same thing.

It's about holding them to account and we can't do that if they don't tell us the exact criteria.
Then it's kind of pointless you listening to it then

Then it's kind of pointless you listening to it then
Yeah it's called a breakdown of trust, they ****** it a year ago and they won't give us enough information to reassure us they won't **** it again. It's the same platitudes with the same reassurances and only a damn fool goes ah but maybe this time they are telling us the truth.

I would have thought that rather than providing dates for things it should be related to factors like level of vaccine distribution, R value, level of hospitalisation etc etc whatever metric they felt was best. They can then always say "at the current rate we would be looking at the first half of March", that gives plenty of leeway. At this stage I don't think anyone would be annoyed at timescales with a fair bit of uncertainty built in but would be pretty ****** off if there are set dates that are either pushed back if things don't improve as quickly as expected, or are followed regardless of circumstance and lead to things spiking again.

I would have thought that rather than providing dates for things it should be related to factors like level of vaccine distribution, R value, level of hospitalisation etc etc whatever metric they felt was best. They can then always say "at the current rate we would be looking at the first half of March", that gives plenty of leeway. At this stage I don't think anyone would be annoyed at timescales with a fair bit of uncertainty built in but would be pretty ****** off if there are set dates that are either pushed back if things don't improve as quickly as expected, or are followed regardless of circumstance and lead to things spiking again.
Yup I have no issue with dates based on where they believe the data will go. I have no particular issue with the timetable as set out. But I absolutely want to know what numbers they are looking into that is driving those dates. And then of things go not as well as expected to slam the breaks on. Equally I see no issue if we are ahead by a couple of weeks of bringing some dates forward.

My problem is I can't make any reasonable judgement other than this is what we've been told will be the dates and if the mystery never don't add up we will follow it this time honest guv.

Last edited:

But as we have seen better to under promise and over deliver, rather than set specific milestones. This virus doesn't have a schedule. This roadmap is until June 21, mainly as transmission falls naturally in summer. What then come September and rest of the year as we head into Winter again?

Latest posts