• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[COVID-19] General Discussion

Did my first shop since "freedom day" today and was definitely in the minority for wearing a mask
Got some dirty looks from some people, as well
**** them
I went into a Tesco Local today. Only 3 out of 11 customers, including me, wore masks and only 1 out of 4 staff. Disappointed but unsurprised.

There are plans for Booster doses for over 50s in the Autumn only atm here. I am Not in that age range.

Some of us are. Don't think anyone's yet sure how long the COVID jabs will be effective so some form of booster program is inevitable, we'll have to see how widely that is rolled out. For the over 50s there was talk of getting boosters and flu jabs at the same time.

It's looking likely that boosters will be more to take care of variants than the original immunity.
Obviously we don't know how long a double-vaccinated immunity will last for yet, but as far as I can tell it's showing no signs of weakening yet for those with healthy immune systems.

Of course, Pfizer / Moserna are saying "booster every 6 months" but that's more to do with the absolutely insane profits they're making at the moment.

At the moment, its far far more urgent to be convincing / coercing the anti-vacx idiots, and vaccinating the poor countries who are relying on charity from the West, and try to reduce the available pool of hosts and slow the mutation rate.
Which is also why it's so important to reduce the pool of vaccinated people being infected - as having a high number of those is the absolute text-book perfect way of growing a vaccine-resistant mutation

Last edited:
It's looking likely that boosters will be more to take care of variants than the original immunity.
Obviously we don't know how long a double-vaccinated immunity will last for yet, but as far as I can tell it's showing no signs of weakening yet for those with healthy immune systems.

Of course, Pfizer / Moserna are saying "booster every 6 months" but that's more to do with the absolutely insane profits they're making at the moment.

At the moment, its far far more urgent to be convincing / coercing the anti-vacx idiots, and vaccinating the poor countries who are relying on charity from the West, and try to reduce the available pool of hosts and slow the mutation rate.
Which is also why it's so important to reduce the pool of vaccinated people being infected - as having a high number of those is the absolute text-book perfect way of growing a vaccine-resistant mutation

Do you know if the excess vaccine batches that were approaching expiry date will be re-distributed to poorer countries who are ready to roll out their vaccination programs or will they be sent back to the pharma companies to be destroyed? It would be an absolute waste if it's the latter.

Jim Wells, Northern Ireland MLA (elected representative), was on Radio Ulster today claiming he hasn't had any vaccine for ethical reasons.

Claims that the current vaccines available have links to cell walls taken from two aborted foetuses in the 1960s in America, and as a staunch Pro-Life advocate refuses them.

Claims he wants to be given a different vaccine which has a 50% rate of effectiveness.

Anyone else encountered mad religious zealots who have this argument against the current vaccines?

Jim Wells, Northern Ireland MLA (elected representative), was on Radio Ulster today claiming he hasn't had any vaccine for ethical reasons.

Claims that the current vaccines available have links to cell walls taken from two aborted foetuses in the 1960s in America, and as a staunch Pro-Life advocate refuses them.

Claims he wants to be given a different vaccine which has a 50% rate of effectiveness.

Anyone else encountered mad religious zealots who have this argument against the current vaccines?

Plenty of them in America.

And this one here in UK, although not religious:

Last edited:

The DUP portraying their strong cultural links to the mainland through good British values that any good Englishman would respect as per usual.

Daily cases below 25,000 which is good news but hospitalisations above 900 (creeping towards the 1000 daily), with deaths of 14 within 28 days of testing positive. But figures don't yet reflect 19 July reopening.

Would be good to see a breakdown of those in hospital in terms of age and whether double vaccinated.

Would be good to see a breakdown of those in hospital in terms of age and whether double vaccinated.
That was laid out by Patrick Valance a week or so ago (when he was correcting himself for wrongly saying that 60% in hospital were double jabbed).

From memory, the correct figures were 60% unvaccinated and 15% (i think) double jabbed. There was also something about age, with a big % of the double jabbed 80+.

Didn't realise he'd corrected himself. Yeh that was a major misspeak from him.

Had my first Pfizer jab a week ago. Have been having chronic headache since then, but must admit that's been part of my life for years. Feels as if it's getting better, and taking the fact that I'm diabetic into account, I'm not too ticked about the headache. Second jab booked for 1 August.

numbers dropping now , could be because the schools and colleges are closing , we will know where it really is by the end of September

Depressing polling time

200.gif

The Corbyn numbers are predictable, I don;t think the Labour left ever truly appreciated for whatever reasons how disliked he was by the general public.

The fact only Rishi Sunak would of done a better job is far more depressing. Anyone who thinks anyone on that list would of done a worse job than Johnson in clearly crackers.

numbers dropping now , could be because the schools and colleges are closing , we will know where it really is by the end of September

They were for like 7 days straight and then yesterday jumped up by 4,000 to 27,000 cases.

and cases now up to 31,000 plus cases with daily hospital admissions back above 900.

I think it's going to be a up and down until September.

Latest posts