• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[COVID-19] General Discussion

"The case numbers are so high at the moment that it's much better to prevent new infections," says Gupta. "In other words, we shouldn't be wandering around in crowded places, in buildings without masks on, even though it's hard to do. If you look at the variants we've had, they have all emerged in countries with very high, uncontrolled transmission – India, the UK, Brazil. There's a reason why we haven't heard of a Singaporean or South Korean variant."

It is a philosophy many of his colleagues agree with. "You want to limit the number of opportunities that the virus gets to roll the dice," says Hanage. "With natural selection, you're basically talking about the most creative force that we know of when it comes to solving problems. It's amazing. And so this is why you'd never bet against it. We expect the virus to keep evolving."

FElk18uXIAYIh1r

Last edited:
Yep, first two were the Oxford AZ jabs. Second one was 7 months ago though, so got my booster as soon as I was eligible.
yes, we're eligible for booster on xmas day...will prob wait for the new years though, all Pfizer

yes, we're eligible for booster on xmas day...will prob wait for the new years though, all Pfizer
Yeh it's Pfizer or Moderna over here in the UK, for the booster. Did try to get Pfizer today, but one of the walk in centres wouldn't give me one, so ended up getting Moderna at another one. Same tech used in both - mRNA, and both with over 90% efficacy.

But like with all the vaccines they wane. Hence why the need to get a booster. How long these boosters last for (enough to get though winter here) maybe 6 months? Looks like here only a matter of time before they offer boosters to all over 18s here , as long as 6 months post second jab.

I find this a bit ridiculous because as I've said before Britain has just accepted a higher number of average deaths. Yes the countries have more cases and deaths now, but for months we've had higher cases and deaths and has been pretty consistent. It's misleading because Britain's situation is completely different to Europe, making this article pretty pointless.

I find this a bit ridiculous because as I've said before Britain has just accepted a higher number of average deaths. Yes the countries have more cases and deaths now, but for months we've had higher cases and deaths and has been pretty consistent. It's misleading because Britain's situation is completely different to Europe, making this article pretty pointless.

Yes, our high infection rate of 40,000 plus daily cases not translating into higher hospitalisations and deaths is probably due to the high immunity from vaccination and natural infection. And we opened earlier. But we've just accepted these figures.

But no reason to pat ourselves on the back yet. Especially if Uncontrolled High number of cases/transmission eventually leads mutation of the virus. And we know the vaccine do wane after 4/5 months. But still effective against serious illness leading to ending up on a ventilator.

Feeling the effects of the booster from yesterday. Arm and body aches, but nothing major. Should kick in fully within the next couple of weeks.

Big surge in cases reported in France. 30,000 new cases of infection reported in last 24 hours according to Reuters. Up from 5k yesterday.

That's a pretty crazy leap - any reason as to why?
Got to be because they did more tests, for some reason, surely? Like everyone in school got a test etc.
It's too big of a jump

Pretty depressing seeing cases increasing massively pretty much worldwide, as we rapidly close in on two years since it all kicked off

Yes, our high infection rate of 40,000 plus daily cases not translating into higher hospitalisations and deaths is probably due to the high immunity from vaccination and natural infection. And we opened earlier. But we've just accepted these figures.

But no reason to pat ourselves on the back yet. Especially if Uncontrolled High number of cases/transmission eventually leads mutation of the virus. And we know the vaccine do wane after 4/5 months. But still effective against serious illness leading to ending up on a ventilator.

Feeling the effects of the booster from yesterday. Arm and body aches, but nothing major. Should kick in fully within the next couple of weeks.

Hospitalisations and deaths are normally about 2 weeks behind cases. They will catch up

Latest posts