• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[COVID-19] General Discussion

R.a22e56000640e9bdfe4fc9a14dc4f38b

I still cannot get my head round why people make such a fuss about wearing a mask. It's only a chuffing mask, surgeons perform brain surgery wearing one so how is walking round Morrisons with one such a ******* problem
This, but also loads of tradies have to wear full breathing apparatus for many hours a day so not even just fancy lar dee dar surgeons

This, but also loads of tradies have to wear full breathing apparatus for many hours a day so not even just fancy lar dee dar surgeons

Wore my mask at the office on Thursday all day - I wore a FFP2 grade mask with band to make it fit tighter. I was the only one; apart from a workman I came across. My Office is still not yet back to full capacity though, but we have no windows and told there is more fresh air being pumped into the building. But no communication of how much (certainly not the recommended 10 litres of fresh air per person per second). Only issues were getting slight fatigue around the nose where the wire part sit and when it comes to drinking and having to take it off to do so.

But yesterday with the tube strikes, there were so few in the office and the only other person in my area is also fully vaccinated, plus booster, I decided not to wear it. It's context and deciding when and where to wear it indoors and also for how long. With vaccines waning and each of us probably at different stage of when we had the second jab, we need all the effective measures to slow spread. Messaging on masks and how/when to wear them is not getting through in my experience of everyday life.

UK recorded 50,000 cases yesterday. Probably more and this is likely before this new Omicron variant eventually reaches these shores. Whether it displaces Delta as the dominant variant remains to be seen.

First 2 cases found in the UK. It's already here!!! Oh my Cron:eek:
With almost zero restrictions in place what are the chances of it not spreading further? It definitely seems to be far more infectious than other variants. I don't remember delta spreading this quickly between countries, but then I guess there were still more restrictions then.

With almost zero restrictions in place what are the chances of it not spreading further? It definitely seems to be far more infectious than other variants. I don't remember delta spreading this quickly between countries, but then I guess there were still more restrictions then.

Chelmsford and Nottingham and both cases linked apparently. Both households self isolating.

Chances are that this variant has simply been circulating undiscovered for a few weeks before being picked up - and is now being found all over the place as it's being looked for

Chances are that this variant has simply been circulating undiscovered for a few weeks before being picked up - and is now being found all over the place as it's being looked for
True, I am curious as to how often samples are tested to see if it's a different variant. They are connected and there is a link to South Africa, but that to me doesn't suggest the people have travelled directly from South Africa, in which case someone has spread it to them and likely others.

Per BBC:

Key points announced in presser
The PM has announced a number of new measures to be introduced in England, following the announcement of the new variant of concern.

All travellers to the UK will have to take a PCR test by the end of day 2 of their arrival; travellers must self-isolate until they receive a negative test result

All contacts of suspected Omicron
cases must self-isolate for 10 days, regardless of their vaccination status.

They will be contacted by NHS Test and Trace

Face coverings will become compulsory on public transport and in shops - not including hospitality

The JCVI (Joint Committee on Vaccination and Immunisation) will consider giving boosters to a wider age group, as well as reducing the gap between the second dose and booster.

I can't speak for other poorer countries and then also of course not for all South Africans but I can tell you a huge percentage of our poor and not so poor at all are unvaxed precisely because they don't intend to be and not at all due to availability/accessibility. Even in my own family and certainly amongst others I have had dealings with who would be considered poor.

My point being that in SA if you WANTED to get vaccinated you probably have both your shots already apart from obvious exceptions like for instance I appreciate the uncertainty for pregnant women and people in.. not sure if this si the best word but.. exceptional circumstances. I remember we were clambering to get vaccinated even if just as a means to help curb spread and thus mutations but now you just don't see the regular vax spots even remotely as busy.

I'm all for choice but feel it should be informed choice and I just don't believe the general SA public is anything close to informed and we have a very real distrust for government and public institutions across most of our population and not for no reason sadly. But I'm rambling now, sorry.

I think that is the issue really how to get the vaccines into the arms of the poor in African countries. If in Europe we are hitting the buffers of being double jabbed at between 60-70% due to vaccine hesitancy and in the UK the under 12s not yet eligible for a first dose, the percentage in poorer African countries is going to be a lot worse, with vaccine hesitancy.

But richer western countries are not helping but not delivering on their promises.

Just found out that someone I knew passed away with a chronic illness and covid. He was only 40. I don't know if he had this variant or even if he was fully vaccinated, had an underlying condition. But just a reminder not to take this virus for granted.

The fraud who claimed the MMR vaccine caused Autism and directly led to a massive drop off in all vaccination rates has a LOT to ******* answer for.

Looks like Xi was skipped to avoid offending the Chinese...

Last edited:

Latest posts