• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[COVID-19] General Discussion

Via the app?

I've been wondering if this is still a thing - I'm in Birmingham everyday, I'd have thought I'd have been pinged at some point (other than the one time that someone in my office caught COVID)
Yeah, through the app. I was surprised too and am now confused as to why nobody else in the house was pinged when kid #1 was confirmed positive.

Back to my takeaways from my experience. It also highlights to me that the government still using the Alpha symptoms (anosmia, cough & temperature) as an indicator of the need to self isolate wilfully inadequate. Kid #2 hasn't had any of these symptoms, so by following government guidelines would have gone to college on Friday (PCR result didn't arrive until after 6pm) and exposed yet more people to unnessary risk.

Yeah, through the app. I was surprised too and am now confused as to why nobody else in the house was pinged when kid #1 was confirmed positive.

Back to my takeaways from my experience. It also highlights to me that the government still using the Alpha symptoms (anosmia, cough & temperature) as an indicator of the need to self isolate wilfully inadequate. Kid #2 hasn't had any of these symptoms, so by following government guidelines would have gone to college on Friday (PCR result didn't arrive until after 6pm) and exposed yet more people to unnessary risk.
Pretty much what Prof Tim Spector from the Zoe app has been saying since Delta variant became prevalent.

Pretty much what Prof Tim Spector from the Zoe app has been saying since Delta variant became prevalent.
I suspect that the Zoe app was influential in having anosmia added to the light of symptoms - originally it was just a cough and a temperature. I recently saw a letter sent to all employees of our local hospital that said that they need to test if they have any of a much longer list of symptoms and specifically said that if you think it's "just a cold", there's a good change it's not and you need to test. I don't remember the advice on isolation, but apparently the usual suspects are already using this guidance to swing the lead, so presumably the guidelines are stricter than government advice. Suffice it to say that the government are not following the science according to this particular trust.

On the cold thing, kid #1 described his sympotoms as feeling like "a nasty effing cold" (I blame the parents for the swearing).

Just reading in the ST that 11% of the country relates to under 12s who are not yet eligible for vaccination. So looking at 20% of the country who won't or can't get vaccinated if 69% are fully jabbed.

After suffering no side effects to my original AZ jabs I had a Moderna booster a couple of weeks ago and was completely wiped out for a day.

We're abroad at the moment - flying home on Thurs, so got caught by the new requirement for a recent test to enter the UK. Cost not too bad at c£20 each, but testing centres were few and far between so the £80 spent on cabs getting there and back stung a bit.

Anyway deemed fit to fly and looking forward to getting back to cold, dank Blighty and our warm beer.

After suffering no side effects to my original AZ jabs I had a Moderna booster a couple of weeks ago and was completely wiped out for a day.
Ditto on AZ jabs as my first two earlier this year (but had headaches after first shot which had me concerned at the time) followed by half dose of Moderna as booster two weeks ago. Bruised arm same as AZ, but only wiped me out fatigue wise day after jab. After that I was fine.

Even under 5s?
Article was talking about unvaccinated but eligible, so was I.
Though IMO there's enough to open up vaccinations for the 5-12 age group.
IMO JVCI are limiting themselves by only looking at the risk : benefit ratio to the individual, rather than the nation.

When it comes to vaccinating the... hesitant - I'm massively more in favour of coercion than mandation.

Require vaccines for entry to non-essential shops, pubs, restaurants, stadiums, theatres, conferences etc etc.
So normal life + masks for the vaccinated, partial lockdown for the anti-vaxx.

It's worked elsewhere, and I'm damned sure it'd work here. So many are hesitant for stupid reasons, they won't be convinced with argument, but really don't hold strong principalled objections. They just don't want a sore arm for a couple of days.

Last edited:
i dont have kids and so wont have done as much research as those that do, whats the problem with vaccinating kids? do we not vaccinate them for other things?

swear to god its an honest question, i know its a sensitive topic

i dont have kids and so wont have done as much research as those that do, whats the problem with vaccinating kids? do we not vaccinate them for other things?

swear to god its an honest question, i know its a sensitive topic
I think its because generally if young children get it they don't get as sick from it and not so serious that they end up in hospital. Plus, there's still the whole parental consent thing. But they can still catch it and spread it.

But there are countries who are vaccinating young children of 5-11: USA and Spain. I think it's only a matter of time here they will at least give one dose.

Latest posts