• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[COVID-19] General Discussion

Scotland is at 1 in 20 infected, the trailblazer again. It's hard to gauge the impact since they decided to stop reporting death figures mid pandemic but the ICU figures, from a very very low base, are enough to keep me interested in next weeks figures. Hospitalisation still only a third of the peak in April and my very risk averse work hasnt told everyone to go back to working from home yet.

My personal comfort zone at the moment is not being fearful of a passing infection caught in a shop, but avoiding circumstances where you can breath in infected air for sustained period (e.g. unventilated pub, gigs, long trip on public transport without windows open). There is loads you can do in summer limiting exposure to unventilated areas.

Scotland is at 1 in 20 infected, the trailblazer again. It's hard to gauge the impact since they decided to stop reporting death figures mid pandemic but the ICU figures, from a very very low base, are enough to keep me interested in next weeks figures. Hospitalisation still only a third of the peak in April and my very risk averse work hasnt told everyone to go back to working from home yet.

My personal comfort zone at the moment is not being fearful of a passing infection caught in a shop, but avoiding circumstances where you can breath in infected air for sustained period (e.g. unventilated pub, gigs, long trip on public transport without windows open). There is loads you can do in summer limiting exposure to unventilated areas.
Yeh I am still wearing my FFP2 mask 😷when I am indoors. Still, managed to get ill, most likely as walking in the rain, but did a test this morning which turned out negative. Will do another test in a couple of days.

Well finally tested positive. ☹️ Worst symptom is the burning sensation in the back of the throat. Feels like I am swallowing glass - painful swallowing. High temp, chills. Runny nose.

Fingers crossed. Not the worst time to get it.
Yeh racking my brain where I caught it, as been working from home mostly. And when indoors wore a mask, apart from when eating and drinking. Went for a long walk on Wednesday and tried out one of those Beryl rental bikes in the next town. I wonder if I picked it up from that. I gelled up before I rode it. But not after IIRC.

Tested negative Friday, but tested again this morning as the parents are coming around and it came back positive.

Thankfully, I feel a hell of a lot better today compared to the weekend - symptoms passed including the burning throat and hopefully no Long covid. I now think that I got it on Father's Day when I took the old man out for Brunch. So many peeps out eating and drinking in the restaurant and obviously not wearing masks.

Keep safe, as it's (thinking it may be the Omicron BA4/5 variant I got) not pleasant to get, but hopefully boosted my antibodies, since the ones I got from my booster are now gone.

Last edited:
Day 6 since Symptoms first came on. Surprisingly, not as big an improvement from day 4 to yesterday. Remnants of cough remain, but thankfully for the burning or difficulties swallowing. Coughing up mucus, head feels like it has a head cold/woolly - difficulty concentrating and sticking to tasks, nose is a little runny and sneezing. Woke up during the night and t-shirt was drenched in sweat. Little bit of brain fog. Hoping things improve as going away at the weekend.

My Covid is slowly getting better. Still get the night sweats, the remnants of the cough are still there.

Was at a course this weekend and one of the speakers went down with Covid. An apparent reinfection/rebound after she caught it a few weeks ago.

Apparently Fauci also got a rebound after taking medication for his Covid. https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2022/06/30/health/covid-paxlovid-fauci-rebound/index.html

Officially, they've only been gone for a month.
Of course, out in the real world, no-one was giving a **** for a lot longer than that.
Yep, was down in Brighton over the weekend. Inside the conference I was at around 10% wore masks. One of the speakers tested positive after the first day.

Plus Brighton is a holiday destination . Peeps relaxed - stag and hen dos. No-one wearing masks inside or outside of hotels, restaurants, cafes and pubs.

It's pretty much impossible to wear a mask when eating indoors, so reliant on how good the place's ventilation is. That is how I think I caught mine.

I think until Peeps catch it and then get the unpleasant effects of Covid they may realise then how serious it can be. But as soon as they recover it's like - "I survived it" it wasn't that bad and go back to normal mentality.

But as soon as they recover it's like - "I survived it" it wasn't that bad and go back to normal mentality.
I think that's a bigger thing with it - everyone I know that's caught COVID has had very mild symptoms so it's very much a "That was nothing to worry about, back to life as normal" mentality

I think that's a bigger thing with it - everyone I know that's caught COVID has had very mild symptoms so it's very much a "That was nothing to worry about, back to life as normal" mentality
That's so true....I had a very good friend pass away from it. Guy was born on the same day as me, and we grew up together.... paints a different picture. Young people think they are bulletproof.... and older people think they know everything.

PS: He was 49 years old....

When you say "mild" what do you mean?

My symptoms were:
Fever/temperature/night sweats
Body aches and chills,
Fatigue - wiped me out for 2-3 days. Luckily I had the time to sleep it off.
Runny nose/sneezing
Throat - started as a cough and then by Saturday it started to burn, and found it difficult swallowing. By Sunday felt like I swallowing a piece of glass - it hurt. So I would definitely say it was "unpleasant" rather than mild. And not keen on getting it again, if the same symptoms.

Housemate had the same but she lost her sense of smell and taste for 2 days, which I didn't.

Felt like it would last a long time, but then the burning of the throat just improved dramatically by Monday. No burning or difficulties swallowing, but still coughing.

Luckily no difficulties breathing, which I figure would then put it in the serious symptom list and if O2 levels drop then need to go to hospital. Few peeps would know unless they had access to equipment to measure it.

Still, I guess that is what the vaccines are for - to stop the serious symptoms and reduce patient numbers in hospital.

The other thing is the spread - I personally self isolated for only 3 days completely. Only went for walks after outside and when popped into Tescos - wore my FFP2 mask fairly tight to my face. But didn't meet anyone outside my household for 8 days after my symptoms came on.

After a week, when I first got symptoms, I tested again and thankfully tested negative. I didn't want to test again in case it turned positive again. I wanted to go away and it is the disruption that got to me - the selfish side of me, but I also figured wearing the FFP2 mask would be sufficient to stop any residual spreading.

When you say "mild" what do you mean?
I had a day and half (Saturday evening until Monday morning) feeling like a cold (i.e. fever, tiredness, aches) two or three days where it could've been mistaken for hayfever then two days testing positive with no symptoms,
Think "bad cold" is the extent that anyone I know has had it

I had a day and half (Saturday evening until Monday morning) feeling like a cold (i.e. fever, tiredness, aches) two or three days where it could've been mistaken for hayfever then two days testing positive with no symptoms,
Think "bad cold" is the extent that anyone I know has had it
And presumably you and those known were fully vaxxed (2 plus booster).

My booster was end of November. So I wonder with the timing of when I caught it and the "unpleasantness" of my symptoms were linked.

It looks like the latest Covid wave in Scotland is past its peak and will contribute to less hospitalisations than the last wave in April. Basically, the rest of the UK shouldn't have to change public health policy at all as it presumably follows the same pattern.

The thought of working in the health service when there is an Omicron wave every 2.5 months doesn't bare thinking about. Completely unrelenting.

Latest posts