• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[COVID-19] General Discussion

Interesting 11 minute documentary on the Spanish Flu 100 years ago.

Could you imagine if any politician in the Labour party were accused of saying that, it would be front page news.

For a leader of a country to joke about such a crass name is horrendous and demonstrates him contempt for the majority of society
No I don't imagine because it's a completely pointless and irrelevant topic.

Who gives a **** about party politics at a time like this

https://you.38degrees.org.uk/petitions/coronavirus-a-temporary-universal-basic-income-for-everyone?

To: Prime Minister Boris Johnson and Chancellor of the Exchequer Rishi Sunak
Coronavirus: A temporary universal basic income for everyone

shutterstock_1460748551_%282%29.jpg

In light of COVID-19 everyone should receive a temporary universal basic income, including freelancers and the self-employed.

Why is this important?
In light of Government advice to minimise the scale and spread of coronavirus many people, especially freelancers, self-employed people and people on lower incomes will be left with little to no money for the foreseeable future.

The Government must adopt emergency measures right now to support people across the country, by providing temporary universal basic income so we all have enough money to survive. Universal basic income is a sum of money given to everyone to help pay for essentials like food and bills. Already Labour and Conservative MPs are calling on the Government to do it, and politicians in the USA and other countries are also calling on their Governments to do the same.

There is a lot more that needs to be done to mitigate the impact of coronavirus - from helping people get support from their workplace when they are sick, to making sure tenants don't face eviction. But ensuring everyone across the country has a set sum to get by could save lives. If you think everyone should be guaranteed enough money to pay for basic essentials at a time like this, will you add your name to the petition now?

Last edited:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/51929628

Coronavirus and ibuprofen: Separating fact from fiction

Stories have been circulating online suggesting it's dangerous to take ibuprofen if you have coronavirus. Alongside genuine medical advice, false messages have been spreading, distorting the facts.

Both paracetamol and ibuprofen can bring a temperature down and help with flu-like symptoms.

But ibuprofen and other non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) are not suitable for everyone and can cause side-effects - especially for people with asthma, heart and circulatory problems.

Article continues

"4 young people in Cork" - false

"University of Vienna" - false

"Hospital in Toulouse" - false

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/51929628

Coronavirus and ibuprofen: Separating fact from fiction

Stories have been circulating online suggesting it's dangerous to take ibuprofen if you have coronavirus. Alongside genuine medical advice, false messages have been spreading, distorting the facts.

Both paracetamol and ibuprofen can bring a temperature down and help with flu-like symptoms.

But ibuprofen and other non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) are not suitable for everyone and can cause side-effects - especially for people with asthma, heart and circulatory problems.

Article continues

"4 young people in Cork" - false

"University of Vienna" - false

"Hospital in Toulouse" - false
Isn't it better to leave your temperature to rise anyway?

First trip to a UK supermarket:
People bulk buying fruit and veg as staff are trying to put it on the shelves (what you doing with a trolley full of bananas? They'll be rotten by the end of the weekend) and a woman arguing because they have a limit on two multipacks of toilet roll per person

Was down in Tesco on Monday to get a few things, and was mostly pleasantly surprised. They'd sold out of most of the disinfectant soap and other stuff, but there was bog roll and nobody was taking the **** with the shopping. Q's were long, but polite, although social distancing in q's wasn't really there and the lady at the checkout wasn't wearing gloves and after asking to see my ID grabbed the thing out of my hand for a closer look.
Hope that after the initial madness people will calm down when they see the supermarkets won't be empty. Think it's great the supermarkets (Lidl and Tesco I think) have put in priority shopping hours for the elderly. Same up north. Going a wee bit stir crazy now and not really up for this working from home stuff, but it will all be good. Trying to get out running every day. Went up the mountains the other day and it was so wedged getting in and out of car parking took ages.

Think it's great the supermarkets (Lidl and Tesco I think) have put in priority shopping hours for the elderly. Same up north. Going a wee bit stir crazy now and not really up for this working from home stuff, but it will all be good. Trying to get out running every day. Went up the mountains the other day and it was so wedged getting in and out of car parking took ages.
Sainsbury's are doing it as well think all will follow suit in time.

Got a 10k run in this morning to get out the house, although it been pretty disheartening to see all events until the end of April cancelled. Also events have started to be cancelled in September because of major events being moved into their slots.

Jeeze, trying to find a second monitor for my laptop - Amazon has a wait time of mid-April, every argos/currys etc. sold out within a reasonable drive (Argos said nearest store with any in was Llanelli)

Jeeze, trying to find a second monitor for my laptop - Amazon has a wait time of mid-April, every argos/currys etc. sold out within a reasonable drive (Argos said nearest store with any in was Llanelli)

We bought a cheap basic one for my girlfriend on Sunday which I was going to send you the link to as it arrived on Tuesday... However now I see it is 20 pounds more expensive and the delivery has been pushed out until the end of the month. Everyone is ordering screens for home apparently (not a surprise though).
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07GWQWNGV/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

We bought a cheap basic one for my girlfriend on Sunday which I was going to send you the link to as it arrived on Tuesday... However now I see it is 20 pounds more expensive and the delivery has been pushed out until the end of the month. Everyone is ordering screens for home apparently (not a surprise though).
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07GWQWNGV/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Managed to find one in a Currys 45mins drive away, yeesh

Was down in Tesco on Monday to get a few things, and was mostly pleasantly surprised. They'd sold out of most of the disinfectant soap and other stuff, but there was bog roll and nobody was taking the **** with the shopping. Q's were long, but polite, although social distancing in q's wasn't really there and the lady at the checkout wasn't wearing gloves and after asking to see my ID grabbed the thing out of my hand for a closer look.
Hope that after the initial madness people will calm down when they see the supermarkets won't be empty. Think it's great the supermarkets (Lidl and Tesco I think) have put in priority shopping hours for the elderly. Same up north. Going a wee bit stir crazy now and not really up for this working from home stuff, but it will all be good. Trying to get out running every day. Went up the mountains the other day and it was so wedged getting in and out of car parking took ages.
Iceland are opening an hour early on a Wednesday so the elderly can get their shopping which is brilliant.

Our Taoiseach's (PM's) address to the nation on Paddy's Day. I think he should be our leader (won't be when this is all over) but I'm still not exactly a massive fan, but there's no politician in the country who could deliver that as well as he did.

Edit: late to watch because I couldn't stomach it last night!

Last edited:
Talk that trump might be giving everyone over the age of 18 $1K each.
IMO something that our government should be looking into for people earning below a certain threshold.

Although reality is it will most likely be needed 3-4 times to really help any potential recession.

If you ask your boss would he let you take one out of the office temporarily?

Talk that trump might be giving everyone over the age of 18 $1K each.
IMO something that our government should be looking into for people earning below a certain threshold.

Although reality is it will most likely be needed 3-4 times to really help any potential recession.

Could you trust dumb fukkers not to waste it?

Food coupons and a rent/mortgage/rates payment holiday might be more appropriate.

If you ask your boss would he let you take one out of the office temporarily?
Nah, we work on iMacs in the office so I'd have to take the entire computer home - proper hassle (and I'm not sure on the insurance implications because it's worth more than my car).

I've been meaning to buy a 2nd screen for a while, and the petrol money I'm saving from not commuting for a couple of weeks covers the cost, I just really wasn't expecting monitors to be sold out everywhere.

Latest posts