• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[COVID-19] General Discussion

I'm still in work in a massive office. With a consultant firm that can't afford to take us out of the clients offices and risk losing contracts.

The client is a joke though, the canteen is running as normal, including self service sections and cutlery laying out for everyone to pick up. They're asking for a break out and massive criticism.

I'm still in work in a massive office. With a consultant firm that can't afford to take us out of the clients offices and risk losing contracts.

'Cos whenever half their staff are at home sick and a few perhaps dead, they'll be in much better shape to retain those contracts.

Yet another win for the corporate boardroom winnovators. Fuckwits.

'Cos whenever half their staff are at home sick and a few perhaps dead, they'll be in much better shape to retain those contracts.

Yet another win for the corporate boardroom winnovators. Fuckwits.
I think far more blame has to go on the client to be fair, we essentially work off an employment contract with them with our company as the agent.
It's a huge company that haven't the remote access capabilities required and provide my company with at least a quarter of their income I'd imagine, we're trying and my colleagues with kids or elderly family living with them have been given preference, no one would really be at risk in my team though.

UK schools are shutting from Friday afternoon. One person at work has said there are armed forces on the street and M25 because London is spreading it quicker.

My team is having a trial work from home day, I'll be plugging my laptop into the tv, HDMI cable was easier to find than a monitor (they're all mounted on brackets so a bit hard to take home

It's a huge company that haven't the remote access capabilities required

They more or less need to suck up and buy teamviewer and upgrade their internet pipe.

[Bit more to it than that, but it gets the ball rolling]

Established enough that the government has been drawn to deny it, I see.

Established enough that the government has been drawn to deny it, I see.

This is how behavioural science works.

Leak potentially harsh measure
Monitor social media response to see if it will fly
Deny harsh measure will be employed
Deploy less harsh but still massively restrictive measures
Plebs cheer because they think they've "won"

The practicalities of "locking down" London are beyond the capabilities that the U.K Government can realistically deploy. The measures they need to work need to be taken consensually. The Government has decided to achieve that via nudging. Time will tell if it works. London is going to be ground zero in the U.K. Millions upon millions in close proximity and several million that can't / won't just wfh.

Yay!
Our Prime Minister has finally decided that knowledge may be better than ignorance after all, so we're going to ramp up testing.
About f***ing time!
That pealing back was by far the biggest mis-stwp of this whole thing.
When you have the data, you can I reduce measures at the right time. With testing, you can send people back to work knowing they're healthy, or send them back in knowing that they've had it, and should now be immune.

Last edited:
They've been saying they are going to ramp up testing for 3 days since the press conference on Monday.

I like Mike a lot for work on anti-Brexit but I think he's just been itching to have a pop at the government on this one, as evidenced how deep he plunged once he got a sniff.

They've been saying they are going to ramp up testing for 3 days since the press conference on Monday.

I like Mike a lot for work on anti-Brexit but I think he's just been itching to have a pop at the government on this one, as evidenced how deep he plunged once he got a sniff.

Quite. I wonder whether Mike would like to step into the big shoes and actually run public policy on this one?

The U.K. government is dealing with more than science at this point. Releasing testing / death rates may make people feel like we're doing "something" but in reality without capacity or strategy it's close to pointless.

Finally on a sober note. Immunity to other Corona viruses after initial infection isn't guaranteed to be long term. We don't know where we're at with this one. The "If you've had it, get back on the front line" idea may not be workable long term.

But he's done previous videos where he pointed out that the government had said it was limiting testing and he didn't think this would last and they would reverse it, so he was right. Now while I know they can't openly admit a mistake in a situation like this, it's clear they made the wrong choice and are again now playing catch up to get to where they should. Yes they want to increase testing, but as he pointed out there are logistical problems that will need to be addressed before it gets there. This further delays getting that information that the government needs.

For me it depends on if the government privately is admitting their mistakes, but learning from them or if they putting more focus on putting a positive spin on the mistake in order to not look bad in the public eye. If it's the latter then they are playing a stupid game of politics in a national crisis and deserve to be called out. If it's the former then people reminding them that simply altering a decision does not fix the problem and that you need to follow through is important as they can't make many mistakes in how this is handled. It's going to be bad anyway, but mistakes will make it worse and I hope they aren't made to try and avoid negative political moments.

To be honest I do see a lot of sense in the tac they are going for, the fact that they are going to be testing people for immunity now suggests there is more weight behind the herd immunity theory than many think.
I dunno, but I get the vibe from friends and on this board that some are trying to use this as point scoring against Bojo and the government rather than actaully looking at the theory behind the approach. If we come out of this and in 6 months time the rest of the world falls back into chaos and we're in a much better position than them (as the thoery suggests) then I garuntee many of those same people won't turn around and admit they were wrong.
At least question time tonight seemed to be productive conversation and debate and a clear understanding that the government are doing their best, just as everyone else is, rather than political **** stirring and point scoring (think gov of national unity but instead of relying on the politicians to do it we just pull together ourselves). Maybe this **** could bring back a bit more of that.

Just my twocents...

I usually stay away from threads like this, but this morning I've seen a video of a critical care nurse sobbing after she did a 14 hr shift going to the supermarket and finding nothing on the shelves no fresh fruit, veg or other items she needs to feed her kids, it was quite difficult for me to see someone in such distress and I'm not at all squeamish. there are probably people on here who have gone out and helped strip the shelves, I find it incredible that this is allowed to go on and it will go on until something drastic is done and conversing with supermarkets is obviously not working, Italy who are in a far worst stage than we are, but there is no panic buying there, here I'm afraid its I'm all right **** you.
I was in the Parachute regiment so have seen some very disturbing things but not in my country, I feel ashamed and disgusted on the behaviour of some.

I usually stay away from threads like this, but this morning I've seen a video of a critical care nurse sobbing after she did a 14 hr shift going to the supermarket and finding nothing on the shelves no fresh fruit, veg or other items she needs to feed her kids, it was quite difficult for me to see someone in such distress and I'm not at all squeamish. there are probably people on here who have gone out and helped strip the shelves, I find it incredible that this is allowed to go on and it will go on until something drastic is done and conversing with supermarkets is obviously not working, Italy who are in a far worst stage than we are, but there is no panic buying there, here I'm afraid its I'm all right **** you.
I was in the Parachute regiment so have seen some very disturbing things but not in my country, I feel ashamed and disgusted on the behaviour of some.
This
M&S are setting aside times protected times for NHS workers starting Monday I believe.
Mrsduncanb has had email as she is NHS staff at a walk in minor injuries unit you can imagine what this full of at present at least temperature screening at door and sending away anyone who is not taking advice re temp cough etc.

Latest posts