• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[COVID-19] General Discussion

If big cats can get it, then I assume little cats can get it too. ;)

9718775.gif

I just heard a Doctor with the World Health Organization say that a vaccine for Covid 19 is 12-18 months away. Hearing that makes me doubt they'll be any rugby matches in 2020.

I just heard a Doctor with the World Health Organization say that a vaccine for Covid 19 is 12-18 months away. Hearing that makes me doubt they'll be any rugby matches in 2020.
12-18 months has been the suggestion from the start based on how long human trials take. You can't shut everything down for that amount of time though and I've seen the Bundesliga are looking at games behind closed doors so assume other sports will follow suit.

When the optics / public opinion become amenable to dealing with mass fatalities via Covid19 rather then dealing with infinite lockdown things will change. We're not that far off already. Some people lack the patience required for the long haul.

The immediate problem was mass casualties overwhelming health services due to exponentiality. Health services are elastic. It's possible to build more hospitals, train more staff and treat more people. The strategy will be to create sufficient capacity to deal with a staged relaxation of lockdowns. Life will not return to "normal" for a long while yet, but the idea you can lock humanity in their dwellings for 12 - 18 months is fantasy.

There are no human vaccines for other Coronavirus. That's not to say it's impossible, but there isn't an easy path to follow. More likely will be increasingly effectively therapeutic interventions increasing the chances of survival should one become critically ill.

At the moment elimination doesn't look viable to me. We're looking at a new endemic disease which will need to be managed along with the host of other things that kill human beings. Interestingly this virus seems to be significantly more risky for those suffering from other ailments. It may well affect how those are managed too.

I think sporting bodies should just ask South Korea how they think we can best get sport up and running again. They deserve some thug life shades for how they've managed things so far.

12-18 months has been the suggestion from the start based on how long human trials take. You can't shut everything down for that amount of time though and I've seen the Bundesliga are looking at games behind closed doors so assume other sports will follow suit.

Viewing figures would be astronomical even if sport was played behind closed doors. I can see this happening with a sh1tload of testing of players/support staff going on. UFC are planning to hold fight events on a private island with no crowd. I can sense there being a race between different sports to get things up and running asap and the ones who are first will be quids in.

I think the vaccine is far more important to the immunocompromised and elderly than anyone else right? By the time/if it comes out (especially as 18months is most likely) lockdown and the virus will be a memory to most of us but still very real to those at risk.

Will be hard to have a vaccine at anytime as Covid like all RNA viruses will Mutate into another Virus .
Even the flu virus the vaccine each year is an educated guess hence why we have some really bad flu years.
As most likely we have all had a coronavirus at one time or another we have to hope that it mutated in some less serious way, as expert opinion believed SARS did or we develop more effective ways to treat and stop spreads.
Virtually all countries sat on hands after SARS now we have another that is spreading.
Of course SARS was around when China was a less open country hence the smaller spread.
Don't wish to be pessimistic but I feel never will be a vaccine as Covid 19 will be something else by than.

Viewing figures would be astronomical even if sport was played behind closed doors. I can see this happening with a sh1tload of testing of players/support staff going on. UFC are planning to hold fight events on a private island with no crowd. I can sense there being a race between different sports to get things up and running asap and the ones who are first will be quids in.
Definitely initially but sport without the crowds loses a chunk of its appeal for both players and viewers alike. Better than nothing but the novelty would soon fade. If this was anything other than financially driven the season would just be abandoned.

Also, injuries regularly happen in sport, very regularly in rugby and other contact sports. I doubt ambulance crews / hospitals are going to be very impressed if they're having to treat avoidable sporting injuries for the foreseeable. And again for the foreseeable, no matter how careful people are, just being in a hospital increases risk for everyone concerned.

I just hope everyone takes some very deep breaths before thinking about restarting action.

It would be so irresponsible to have emt crews and ambulances at sporting events in the middle of an epidemic. I get that sports want to continue, but they shouldn't be able to take up resources that could be used to fight this virus.

Trump: "I don't believe you need 40,000 or 30,000 ventilators. You know, you go into major hospitals sometimes and they'll have two ventilators. Now all of a sudden they're saying, 'Can we order 30,000 ventilators?'"
He takes fuckwit to a whole new level.

There literally is a retard in the oval office. Calling trump a retard is descriptive, not disparaging.
Looks like the federal government was correct about NYC not needing those 40 000 ventilators. They seem to be doing okay with the 2 500 they currently have and hospitalisations are decreasing. So it looks like they only needed around 6-7% of what they were asking for.
How did they get it so wrong? Thank goodness Cuomo and de Blasio aren't running the country.

April 8

9:57 AM: De Blasio: Our calls for help have been answered. We have 2,500 ventilators in our hospital systems. We actually have enough to get through this week free and clear. We cannot accurately predict next week.

9:56 AM: De Blasio: We expected the number of ventilators needed to be 200, 300. That number is more like 100 that we will need each day. That is a striking difference. We thought we would need many more ventilators just to get through this week.

9:53 AM: De Blasio: Why are we telling you about the progress? First of all the ventilators. The question was will we have enough. We saw very clear patterns in the use of ventilators. In the last few days, we've seen fewer ventilators needed than projected.

https://www.fox5ny.com/news/the-latest-developments-on-the-coronavirus-pandemic-for-april-8-2020

It's also looking like ventilators aren't the ideal treatment method with some doctors pumping the brakes on their usage. Not good as it's one less way to fight this thing.

Some Doctors Moving Away From Ventilators for Virus Patients, Citing Death Rate

Generally speaking, 40% to 50% of patients with severe respiratory distress die while on ventilators, experts say

As health officials around the world push to get more ventilators to treat coronavirus patients, some doctors are moving away from using the breathing machines when they can.

The reason: Some hospitals have reported unusually high death rates for coronavirus patients on ventilators, and some doctors worry that the machines could be harming certain patients.

80% or more of coronavirus patients placed on the machines in New York City have died, state and city officials say.

Higher-than-normal death rates also have been reported elsewhere in the U.S., said Dr. Albert Rizzo, the American Lung Association's chief medical officer.

Similar reports have emerged from China and the United Kingdom. One U.K. report put the figure at 66%. A very small study in Wuhan, the Chinese city where the disease first emerged, said 86% died.

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/cor...virus-patients-citing-death-rate/2366184/?amp

Definitely initially but sport without the crowds loses a chunk of its appeal for both players and viewers alike. Better than nothing but the novelty would soon fade. If this was anything other than financially driven the season would just be abandoned.

Also, injuries regularly happen in sport, very regularly in rugby and other contact sports. I doubt ambulance crews / hospitals are going to be very impressed if they're having to treat avoidable sporting injuries for the foreseeable. And again for the foreseeable, no matter how careful people are, just being in a hospital increases risk for everyone concerned.

I just hope everyone takes some very deep breaths before thinking about restarting action.

Yeah that's the whole point. The heads of these sporting bodies/organisations aren't responsible for the health of the nation and the overall economy which is why they are not considering the wider implications. It is understandable that they are brainstorming at present and not surprising that ideas find their way into the media given the absence of any other sporting news. I'm sure any proposals to get things up and running again will be subject to Government scrutiny and approval which is how it should be.

Optics plays a huge part in sport. I mean sport in itself is dull enough to watch for the majority of people but when you add all the drama like big crowds, personalities, big egos, betting etc it gets people hooked. Sky sports are good at this.

No stadium audience might make it look very boring for the viewers.

Looks like the federal government was correct about NYC not needing those 40 000 ventilators. They seem to be doing okay with the 2 500 they currently have and hospitalisations are decreasing. So it looks like they only needed around 6-7% of what they were asking for.
How did they get it so wrong? Thank goodness Cuomo and de Blasio aren't running the country.

NYC now has 5,500 ventilators, not the initial 2,500. Their demand for this week is ~100, not ~200-300. That is this week and this week alone.

How do you extrapolate that to 6-7%?

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...s-distancing-is-easing-demand-for-ventilators

It's also looking like ventilators aren't the ideal treatment method with some doctors pumping the brakes on their usage. Not good as it's one less way to fight this thing.

Well, if there is some evidence they are doing more harm than good, expect demand for them to plummet - and that plummeting demand will have had nothing to do with clairvoyance from the orange clown in the white house.

Why are Fox News such a lying bunch of *****? When Sky news here isn't nearly as bad.

Why are Fox News such a lying bunch of *****? When Sky news here isn't nearly as bad.
No 1st amendment laws plus IPSO, Broadcasting Code and Communications Act 2003.

Basically broadcast news can have a tilt in this country but if they state baseless accusations or lies they can occur huge penalties.

Plus Sky News I don't think was fully owned by the Murdoch's and didn't have Roger Ailes in charge who arguably was more in charge of Fox's way of going about things than Murdoch was.

Latest posts