• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Cricket for dummies

D

DonBilly

I don't know cricket. The countries I've lived in do not play cricket. I live currently in France and the French Federation of cricket is actually based in Périgord region where 20% of the population must be British.

So what is cricket? How many players? How long is a match? Hox the points are counted? What is the objective?

How is it related to Baseball?

Do you have heard about a very old game played in France "la tèque" wich has a bat very similar to that of cricket and whose rules rae similar to that of Baseball?

Is there any cricket website which provide the kind of information I am after?

Thanks a lot

Originally posted by DonBilly@Sep 8 2004, 01:49 AM
I don't know cricket. The countries I've lived in do not play cricket. I live currently in France and the French Federation of cricket is actually based in Périgord region where 20% of the population must be British.

So what is cricket? How many players? How long is a match? Hox the points are counted? What is the objective?

Do you have heard about a very old game played in France "la tèque" wich has a bat very similar to that of cricket and whose rules rae similar to that of Baseball?

Thanks a lot
It's nothing like baseball.

At all.

In any shape or form.

But it does take ages to explain, so go and look at All_Blacks posted website.

Its not baseball though.

Does "la tèque" feature the batsman with the bat between his legs? We call that French cricket here but I doubt it has any actuall relation to France.

Originally posted by DonBilly@Sep 8 2004, 01:49 AM

Thanks a lot
To be honest i knew very few about cricket bfore, because im italian and here nobody knows what this sport is...but with this big immigration of singha ppl in my city i ve seen many guys playin it and havin a great fun.so i started to try to understand rules and stuff like that...and finally i ve played it in London this summer..believe me great experience. my humble opinion

Originally posted by Wally@Sep 11 2004, 05:04 PM
Does "la tèque" feature the batsman with the bat between his legs? We call that French cricket here but I doubt it has any actuall relation to France.
In la tèque the bat, which is flat like that of cricket, is held horizontaly to hit the ball with strength.

There are bases like in Baseball and you have to run through the bases where you can stop. The difference is that the ball is sent to the guy who sent the ball toward the bat. This must be done as quickly as possible to prevent the running guy to reach a base or to complete the tour.

The rules are quite simple and this game, iwhich is not really considered a Sport in France, is very old and played by many youngster in summertime when weather favours the outdoor activities.

Originally posted by wigan_rlfc@Oct 13 2004, 03:14 PM
Baseball is a blatent copy of Rounders.
Definately. Then Softball is at the bottom of the pile having copied both.

I'm a kiwi and still dont understand cricket. all i know is that my mates team all have theme music wen they come into bat for my school.

Do not diss baseball it is a great sport. Nothing beats baseball as far as mental strain is concerned.

I find every sport that is foreign seems to get dissed on this board. Especially by Englanders
<

Not everyone has to play cricket, rugby, soccer

other places have different sporting events etc and these should not be condoned to the trash.

Originally posted by Canadian_Rugger@Oct 27 2004, 02:44 PM
Do not diss baseball it is a great sport. Nothing beats baseball as far as mental strain is concerned.

I find every sport that is foreign seems to get dissed on this board. Especially by Englanders
<

other places have different sporting events etc and these should not be condoned to the trash.
Yes this is true, but you have to understand that Yanks are always so opinionated when it comes to talking about 'their' sports compared to those around the world and most of the time they never make ANY attempt to understand or appreciate those sports (regarding them as inferior etc)... therefore we in the rest of the world tend to be a tad dismissive in return, if you can understand where I'm coming from.

Also, I'd argue that plenty of sports beat baseball "as far as mental strain is concerned"... think about it, in cricket a test match goes for five days, FIVE DAYS! The amount of mental indurance and concentration required for those players, often in blistering heat, is unbelievable!

Originally posted by sanzar+Oct 27 2004, 11:09 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (sanzar @ Oct 27 2004, 11:09 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-Canadian_Rugger
@Oct 27 2004, 02:44 PM
Do not diss baseball it is a great sport.  Nothing beats baseball as far as mental strain is concerned. 

I find every sport that is foreign seems to get dissed on this board.  Especially by Englanders 
<

Yes this is true, but you have to understand that Yanks are always so opinionated when it comes to talking about 'their' sports compared to those around the world and most of the time they never make ANY attempt to understand or appreciate those sports (regarding them as inferior etc)... therefore we in the rest of the world tend to be a tad dismissive in return, if you can understand where I'm coming from.

Also, I'd argue that plenty of sports beat baseball "as far as mental strain is concerned"... think about it, in cricket a test match goes for five days, FIVE DAYS! The amount of mental indurance and concentration required for those players, often in blistering heat, is unbelievable! [/b]
i totalli agree with you sanzar

Originally posted by sanzar+Oct 27 2004, 11:09 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (sanzar @ Oct 27 2004, 11:09 PM)</div>
Do not diss baseball it is a great sport.  Nothing beats baseball as far as mental strain is concerned. 

I find every sport that is foreign seems to get dissed on this board.  Especially by Englanders 
<

Also, I'd argue that plenty of sports beat baseball "as far as mental strain is concerned"... think about it, in cricket a test match goes for five days, FIVE DAYS! The amount of mental indurance and concentration required for those players, often in blistering heat, is unbelievable! [/b]
and what do they do all day?

Block
Block
Block
Block
Block
Block

End Over
*Swap Ends*

Block
Block
Block
Single/4 Runs
Block
Block

Originally posted by Ripper+Nov 19 2004, 08:26 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ripper @ Nov 19 2004, 08:26 PM)</div>
Originally posted by sanzar@Oct 27 2004, 11:09 PM

<

Also, I'd argue that plenty of sports beat baseball "as far as mental strain is concerned"... think about it, in cricket a test match goes for five days, FIVE DAYS! The amount of mental indurance and concentration required for those players, often in blistering heat, is unbelievable!

Block
Block
Block
Block
Block
Block

End Over
*Swap Ends*

Block
Block
Block
Single/4 Runs
Block
Block [/b]
Yeah? thats why its called test cricket...

Originally posted by Ripper+Nov 19 2004, 09:26 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ripper @ Nov 19 2004, 09:26 AM)</div>
Originally posted by sanzar@Oct 27 2004, 11:09 PM

<

Block
Block
Block
Block
Block
Block

End Over
*Swap Ends*

Block
Block
Block
Single/4 Runs
Block
Block [/b]
Never seen Andy Flintoff bat then have you Ripper?

Originally posted by neh@Nov 21 2004, 08:53 AM
ripper wouldnt have the mind span to watch cricket would he?
Looks like he's watched 2 overs in his time, which went like this

Block
Block
Block
Block
Block
Block

End Over
*Swap Ends*

Block
Block
Block