• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Cricket Thread

What the hell!

Just turned on the telly and saw that England was bowled out! At home, with this being their lowest score in tests in England.

I guess we will know how many demons this pitch have after Ireland's first innings...
Not very many by the look of it....

is Ireland not an "official" test national? thats why they can have a four day test? I know test and ODI are different but thats some strong evidence Ireland should have been at the world cup

is Ireland not an "official" test national? thats why they can have a four day test? I know test and ODI are different but thats some strong evidence Ireland should have been at the world cup

This is their first test as they have now been approved to be an official test playing nation. Probably a good thing since the ICC suspended Zimbabwe for government interference.

Rory Burns might not be long for the side. Out for 6 twice while the nightwatchman is sitting on 60. I can see what people mean about his technique being poor, he plays the ball so late and most of the time it looks like the balls passed his bat when he tries to hit it. This is also with bowlers who are a lot slower than the Aussie ones.

Maybe Stone and Broad can put on another 30 and get England over 200 ahead. Maybe they can last at least 6 overs...

Nope.

So 182, is that likely or not? Gonna throw this on in the background while I study.
It would be the top 5 run chases at Lord's ever in a test match.

However its also the beginning of day 3 not mid-way through day 4. Few teams would have a better chance.

I'd put money on Ireland winning but if Broad hits one of his spells where he rips through a side then it won't happen. Also if the ball turns for the spinners Leech will be completely unplayable.

It would be the top 5 run chases at Lord's ever in a test match.

However its also the beginning of day 3 not mid-way through day 4. Few teams would have a better chance.

I'd put money on Ireland winning but if Broad hits one of his spells where he rips through a side then it won't happen. Also if the ball turns for the spinners Leech will be completely unplayable.
Right, I won't bother asking what that means... I don't see myself ever getting into the intricacies of this sport haha, I'll pop in every now and then when Ireland might do something decent!

Ah who could forget England's best players to get them out a jam from the 90's, the rain!

What's the deal with the day length?
If it gets the end of day 4 and there's still balls to play do they just call it off and hard luck to whoever was batting?

Same for if it ends early - if all the Irish batsmen get out today, the people with tickets to day 4 are they just screwed?

So 182, is that likely or not? Gonna throw this on in the background while I study.

It's quite doable, but damp conditions with clouds makes it harder to bat. Do not ask me why, I've never quite got my head around why the ball moves more in these conditions. Ireland definitely have a good chance, but they need to be patient and not try to rush and get out.

What's the deal with the day length?
If it gets the end of day 4 and there's still balls to play do they just call it off and hard luck to whoever was batting?

Same for if it ends early - if all the Irish batsmen get out today, the people with tickets to day 4 are they just screwed?

It's a four day test match rather than five, so game ends at the end of tomorrow. If Ireland by some huge insane **** up haven't got 182 or England haven't bowled them out then it's a draw. In test cricket you have to bowl the other side out at least twice to win and have more runs.

If it ends early it does slightly depend on where the game is played, but generally you get a refund. If there is rain in the day in England you get a full refund if less than 15 overs have been bowled and 50% if 15-29.5 overs have been bowled.

It's quite doable, but damp conditions with clouds makes it harder to bat. Do not ask me why, I've never quite got my head around why the ball moves more in these conditions. Ireland definitely have a good chance, but they need to be patient and not try to rush and get out.
Has your mind changed in the last hour and a half?

Ridiculous match.

STATS

The lowest ever score at Lord's is 42 by India in 1974.
This will be the fifth-lowest first innings score to then win a Test and the lowest since 1907.

Sorry Alpha Bro, Test Match Cricket is brilliant but sometimes its a very cruel mistress.

This is the seventh lowest Test score of all time and the lowest since 1955.

STATS

The lowest ever score at Lord's is 42 by India in 1974.
This will be the fifth-lowest first innings score to then win a Test and the lowest since 1907.

Sorry Alpha Bro, Test Match Cricket is brilliant but sometimes its a very cruel mistress.
Ahh, I hardly enjoyed it when we were winning, not for me! I struggle to follow any sports I haven't played though in fairness.

Latest posts