• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Cricket World Cup 2015

Finally!!! The Proteas have finally won a knockout game in a World Cup!!

When we don't choke, we choke the other team into submission. What a way to beat Sri Lanka.

Pity that this was the last time that we'll see Mahela Jayawardene and Kumar Sangakkarra play together for Sri Lanka.

So the top 4 teams in the ODI rankings, are the teams who will play in the Semis... I think it's fitting.

Tomorrow it's SA vs NZ and on Thursday it will be Australia vs. India

Come on Proteas!!

So it'll be a trans-tasman final. Going to be awesome! I reckon Australia ought to go in favourites being at home and with their attack and depth, but NZ look all but unstoppable at the moment. Will be an absolute cracker and a fitting end to what has been a record setting tournament on and off the field. So far we've had games that have drawn more viewers than either the Super Bowl and Soccer World Cup final, so here's hoping we continue the trend and all our friends in the sub-continent also tune in on Sunday :D .

Carn 'Straya!

We have to bowl first and knock them over cheaply, then chase down the mediocre total.
NZ will rely on Southee and Boult to keep out bats honest and we know they can chase down a total.

We'll definitely rely on Boult primarily, but Anderson has an amazing ability to knock over wickets when you least expect it, and I thought Henry's performance was decent against SA. So there are still some threats to be wary of.

I think guys like Taylor, Elliot and Williamson will enjoy the bigger gaps. Big talking point is that the MCG have bigger boundaries, but when Guptill was hitting them at 110 meters, surely that's a six on any ground. I think the NZ have the ability to go all the way, they've beaten Australia before, and they can do it again. But we can't allow Australia to hang around and make 350-400. Don't think we could get that against the likes of Starc bowling. If we restrict them to 300, or better yet, 200 and something then I'll be confident.

So it'll be a trans-tasman final. Going to be awesome! I reckon Australia ought to go in favourites being at home and with their attack and depth, but NZ look all but unstoppable at the moment. Will be an absolute cracker and a fitting end to what has been a record setting tournament on and off the field. So far we've had games that have drawn more viewers than either the Super Bowl and Soccer World Cup final, so here's hoping we continue the trend and all our friends in the sub-continent also tune in on Sunday :D .

Aussie are undoubtedly the favourites, hometown advantage etc, but NZ have a well balanced team, that's in form ... I have confidence in the NZ team for the first time in many years, and won't be surprised IF we win.

Carn 'Straya!

We have to bowl first and knock them over cheaply, then chase down the mediocre total.
NZ will rely on Southee and Boult to keep out bats honest and we know they can chase down a total.

I heard the MCG, and the conditions on Sunday, aren't likely to induce swing (is that right?) ... if so, I think Vittori will have more of an influence bowling wise.

Regardless of the result, I think NZ Cricket will be reaping the rewards as a result of the success of the Black Caps ... love what it seems to have done for NZ in terms of kids picking up the bat and ball, and for the whole country in terms of bringing families and people together ... a win on Sunday would be just the icing on the cake

Last edited:
It is awesome to see that not just during this World Cup, but for the past few years New Zealand sport has upped it's game and we've added more sports under our belt which we can be world-beaters in. Golf, rowing, league, a brilliant outing at the Commonwealth games, and now our best result at a cricket world cup on the back of series wins against Pakistan and Sri Lanka. It's great that our repertoire is expanding and we're not just "that nation who's good at rugby."

Australia will be favorites f'sure, and hopefully we've learned some lessons from their bowlers. We won last time, but there are a lot of things we could have improved on. At the end of the day though, I think we deserve to be in the final and haven't just fluked our way there, despite what the clueless morons on the Fox Sports facebook page say :p

Last edited:
Sunday is meant to be 23 and sunny. Sydney is far more conducive to swing than Melbourne, it's actually been cold this week (16-18 degrees). wore a jacket for the first time in a while!

Unfortunately i'm not going, wish I was but it relys on getting lucky with some tickets. either way I will enjoy the atmosphere around the city over the weekend.

I can't call this to be honest, NZ have always been competitive in the 50 over game, they are definitely not there by luck and they look dangerous right now.

the MCG so big thing is a moot point. the size of the ground wont influence the result whatsoever.

Sunday is meant to be 23 and sunny. Sydney is far more conducive to swing than Melbourne, it's actually been cold this week (16-18 degrees). wore a jacket for the first time in a while!

Geez that ain't too bad though. Temperature has dropped right back here in Christchurch since we came out of summer. We had a pretty good summer actually, but has gone back to overcast and 12-13 degrees sorta thing. Call me crazy but I enjoy it sometimes :p

Great to hear the weather will be solid. Have seen plenty of Kiwi Sports pages trying to rally fans to go to the stadium together. For anyone in the area, I hear Tony Veitch is organizing a pub get together at College Lawn Hotel. Meant to be a few All Blacks stopping by + Graham Henry and some (former?) Blackcaps. Hopefully we'll see a good Kiwi turn out, and I'm sure we'll have a couple of Indians rooting for us too haha.

Both Guptill's and De Villiers innings were immense, both in complete different circumstances and both merit the tag of best innings. Enjoyed watching both to be honest.

Latest posts