• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Currie Cup discussion

H

Huckleberry

It's almost time for the Currie cup and I thik we must get this thread started!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well 1st Boland beat Pumas to be in the main division of the Currie Cup!!!!!!!!

well one cats fan, to be honest i think the cats and stormers are not going to be beaten that easely this year. im a bulls supporter from birth and there is no other team, but still after a year that we had, dont write us off

I'm quite happy at the fact Boland made it into the Currie cup, the pumas are just shite, and considering all the trouble arround the Boland side, the reults are even more spectacular.

Hopefully this should create a few upsets in the same way Griquas has done, I've allways been a /undercover/ griquas supporter to tell you the truth, should be the same for Boland. They'll be my underdog teams.

My loyalty obviously still and will allways lie with WP, and when we play Boland and Griquas I hope we crush them into oblivion, but there's something wonderfull about seeing a side like Griquas beating the sharks or some other teams ;)

Is Fester still the coach untill the end of this currie cup, or has he been dealt with yet ?

Good to see another Mountain Goat on board. We need all the help we can get right now........

Anyway, Boggle I`m not sure if old Fester`s been given the axe yet. But time is running out in order to get a decent coach installed at Newlands before the CC starts, so I reckon he`s still in. So I`ll just be banging my head against the wall. Repeatedly.

Right gents, here`s an interesting question- how will the makeup of the RWC Bok squad affect the chances of the top CC contenders?

Good to see another Mountain Goat on board. We need all the help we can get right now........

Anyway, Boggle I`m not sure if old Fester`s been given the axe yet. But time is running out in order to get a decent coach installed at Newlands before the CC starts, so I reckon he`s still in. So I`ll just be banging my head against the wall. Repeatedly.

Right gents, here`s an interesting question- how will the makeup of the RWC Bok squad affect the chances of the top CC contenders?
[/b]

You would think it's gonna hit the sharks and the blue bulls the hardsest I suppose.

Obviously that doesn't matter since RWC is obviously first priority, but they are quality sides and should probably have good depth.

I'm wondering who WP are going to use now actually, I think Luke, Schalk, Jean, and maybe Joe will be out for a while, I'm not sure who will be the captain, probably Barry.

I was watching the under 21 WP side pretty closely last year and there was a brilliant young player (*hoffman I think*)at flyhalf (*it was flyhalf right ?*) I wonder if he'll get a run on for the currie cup side.

Well, I reckon that Province will lose Burger, JDV, and possibly Watson , Paulse and Van Niekerk to the final 30. Small price to pay for the quest of RWC glory, which is the obvious no1 priority.

So here`s what I think that WP could possibly field this season in the CC, leaving out the 5 possibles:

15- Conrad Jantjies/Gio Aplon/Brent Russell
14/11- Tonderai Chavanga- hopefully gets an extended run. I really rate him very highly. More gas than any other winger in SA, including Habana, and awesome step too. Also possibly Egon Seconds, or any of the back 3 mentioned earlier. Also look out for Shandre Frolick, u21 Bok and rather rapid too. And of course the blonde Matie Pietersen.
12/13- Barry`ll be there. But what I`d like to see is Peter Grant at 12, with Dylan Des Fountain at 13, his actual natural position. And then the Pocket Rocket at 10. Other options include Corne Uys.
10- Russell/Grant/Naas Olivier
9- Bolla Conradie/Ashiq Wise- very promising, played for the Vodacom Cup side this year/JP Joubert. Not too sure what happened with Paul Delport, u19 and u21 RWC-winning captain, haven`t seen him in the Vodacom Cup. Any help, where`s the guy?
6/7/8- Robbie Diack- give this guy another season and he`ll be the WP answer to Pierre Spies IMO/Justin Melck/Gerrie Britz/Selborne Boome/Pietie Ferreira
4/5- Plenty of depth here. I`d like Francois vd Merwe as the enforcer at 4 and Andries Bekker at 5. All of a sudden it`s not a light 5 anymore. Other options are Ross Skeate/Selborne Boome and Gerrie Britz.
1/3- Bit light here. JD Moller and Brok Harris as 1st choice, and then who? Eddie Andrews?
2- Schalk Brits`ll start, and possibly skipper too. But I like the look of our Free State import.

So that`s about the WP squad this season I reckon. I think that the Sharks will be particularly hard hit, as they`ll be losing their entire tight 5, and there`s not much depth except possibly Ali Hargraves at lock, once Muller and Ackers are gone. The Bulls will also miss their 2nd row, but they`ve got Adriaan Fondse, a virtual Bakkies Botha younger clone, and Francois v Schouwenberg to call upon. And they`ll still have Anton Leonard, Pedrie Wannenburg, Derick Kuun and Hilton Lobberts to call on in their back row, with Rayno Gerber and Jaco Engels to prop the scrum. Still possibly favourites.

And watch out for the Lions tight 5 too- Heinke at 1, Reinecke at 2, Mujati at 3, and Varkhond and Geo Cronje as the locks. Add Baywatch, Jacque Cronje, Willem Alberts and the captain as a backrow, and they`re looking pretty solid up front.

What about Zahier Rylands on the wing for WP that man has got some speed.

Paul Delport got a stoumach virus near the start of the S14 and ended up losing like 15 or so Kilos in teh process.

I think he might still be recovering.

Isn't Schalk Brits going to be captain for the upcoming boks side or something like that ?
Also, Pedrie just got Bok colours again so I'm not too sure if he;ll be available for the bulls.

Forgot all about Ryland Huck, yeah he`s got some gas and might just get a game or 2.

Bad news about Delport Boggle. Was he maybe in contact with the England touring squad? And yes, Brits is currently captaining the emerging Boks on tour in Romania. It`s a 6-team tourney, featuring Romania, Namibia, Argies "A", Italy "A", Georgia and the Emerging Boks. The emerging Bokke had their 1st game against Romania on Tuesday, but I`ve got no idea how that went actually. Not a very long tourney, so the emerging Bokke will play for the bulk of the Currie Cup.

OK just google`d the result for emerging Bokke vs Romania- emerging Bokke won 61-7. Tries by Schalk Brits(2), Kabamba Floors(2), Tonderai Chavanga-great to hear he`s back in action, Ernst Joubert, Jano Vermaak, Ross Skeate. Peter Grant contributed 3 penalties and 6 conversions.

OK just google`d the result for emerging Bokke vs Romania- emerging Bokke won 61-7. Tries by Schalk Brits(2), Kabamba Floors(2), Tonderai Chavanga-great to hear he`s back in action, Ernst Joubert, Jano Vermaak, Ross Skeate. Peter Grant contributed 3 penalties and 6 conversions.
[/b]

Here's a little more news about the match from rugby365.com:

Emerging Springboks 61 Romania 7

In the final match of the day The Emerging Spingboks, outplayed an out of sorts Romania 61-7.

The Emerging Springboks were simply too good for their hosts, Romania, on the opening day of the tournament.

After opening the scoring with a penalty in the second minute, the South Africans pinned the "Oaks" on their try-line for about 10 minutes, before the proverbial dam-wall broke and the Boks scored four unanswered tries.

Romanian fly-half Ionut Tofan admitted the South Africans were simply too strong.

"They are just too hard to tackle or to stop," Tofan said.

"They play like a typical South African team."

The Boks' best players were wing Odwa Ndungane, fly-half Peter Grant, scrum-half Heini Adams and captain Schalk Brits at hooker.

The Bok hooker managed to score two of his team's tries as he led from the front, while loose forward Kabamba Floors also scored a brace as the visitors outplayed the Romanians to take a 33-0 lead at the half-time break.

The second half began a little better for Romania, who managed to keep the Boks scoreless for 20 minutes - before the visitors scored tries in 60th and 70th minutes to take the score out to made it 47-0.

The Romanians, to their credit, did not give up and hooker Marius Tincu came close to scoring. From a resulting penalty Vlaicu's shot at goal drifted wide.

However, they were soon rewarded when second row forward Bogdan Balan busted through before off-loading to Cristi Petre for their sole try.

In the final two minutes the South Africans scored another two tries for a very impressive victory and a good start to the tournament - leaving them as favourites for the overall ***le.

Romania must now beat Italy 'A' and Namibia to reach the play-offs.

The game was not without casualties, with Floors (ankle) and Adams (thigh) sustaining minor injuries. They are likely to be rested for the second encounter, against Georgia on Sunday.

Team Manager Peter Maimane described as a "perfect start" to the tournament.

"The team spirit is fantastic and the players all played their part to ensure the team delivered a very good performance against Romania," Maimane said.

Scorers:

For Romania:
Try: Petre
Con: Vlaicu

For South Africa:
Tries: Brits 2, Floors 2, Chavhanga, Skeate, Vermaak, Joubert
Cons: Grant 6
Pens: Grant 3

Teams:

Emerging Springboks: 15 Bevin Fortuin, 14 Odwa Ndungane, 13 Jaco Pretorius, 12 Bradley Barritt, 11 Tonderai Chavhanga, 10 Peter Grant, 9 Heini Adams, 8 Jonathan Mokuena, 7 Solly Tyibilika, 6 Kabamba Floors, 5 Ross Skeate, 4 Wilhelm Steenkamp, 3 Eddie Andrews, 2 Schalk Brits (captain), 1 Heine van der Merwe.
Replacements: 16 Ashton Constant, 17 Mxoli Songoni, 18 Bandise Maku, 19 Nikolai Blignaut, 20 Ernst Joubert, 21 Jano Vermaak, 22 Howard Noble, 23 Marius Delport, 24 Louis Ludik, 25 Meyer Bosman, 26 Hilton Lobberts.

Romania: 15 Iulian Dumitras, 14 Catalin Fercu, 13 Gabriel Brezoianu, 12 Catalin Dascalu, 11 Ioan Teodorescu, 10 Ionut Tofan, 9 Valentin Calafeteanu, 8 Florin Corodeanu, 7 Cosmin Ratiu, 6 Alex Tudori, 5 Cristian Petre, 4 Valentin Ursache, 3 Paulica Ion, 2 Marius Tincu (captain), 1 Petrisor Toderasc.
Replacements: 16 Razvan Mavrodin, 17 Cezar Popescu, 18 Bogdan Balan, 19 Augustin Petrichei, 20 Stelian Burcea, 21 Lucian Sirbu, 22 Ionut Dimofte, 23 Florin Vlaicu, 24 Csaba Gal, 25 Dan Vlad, 26 Valentin Poparlan.

[/b]

I wonder how Heinke v d Merwe had scrumed in that match.He is a future Springbok.

I wonder how Heinke v d Merwe had scrumed in that match.He is a future Springbok.
[/b]

I would think really good, I mean not to be too harsh, but I'm pretty sure eddie andrews would have scrummed romania off the park so heinke probably murderred someone.
:)

@Bokmagic
This was written by Paul hmself at arround March, havn't seen anything else really, so I'm not sure what he's up to at teh moment.

http://www.iamastormer.com/posts/default.php?post_id=128

well that tournament sounds pretty damn interesting, I didn't know all of those players were playing, I had though it would be mostly no names.

I wonder if Supersport will be showing these matches.

Anyway, back on the topic of currie cup, why havn't I seen any more from the sharks and bulls supporters ?

Come on then, tell us what you think is gonna happen this year.

In WP news, the good man Cobus Visagie has been signed as a temporary scrummaging coach. Great news indeed. There is plenty of talent available in the Cape at prop, but for some or other reason they just don`t develop over here. Look at Guthro Steenkamp, Paarl Boys Higher and onetime teammate of JD Moller at Boys High. Guthro left for greener pastures, and became a Bok. JD didn`t. So I`m really excited by this news.

Also, it seems as if Nick Mallet has been in talks with Pat Barnard, who`s dead keen to return to the Province and Stormers set-up. Contractual obligations might prevent his move back, but apparently he`s dead keen to return. Also heard it rumoured that Mallet was talking to Cheetahs tighthead Jannie Du Plessis, in order to entice him southwards, towards the coast where we all know the real civilization starts.

De Wet Barry is also rumoured to be considering a move up North- no not over the Jukskei, but way, way north, to the English Premiership, after this year`s Currie Cup. Yet another bit of good news!

Anyway, back on the topic of currie cup, why havn't I seen any more from the sharks and bulls supporters ?

Come on then, tell us what you think is gonna happen this year.
[/b]

Well Boggle my opinion is, now that the cup can't be shared anymore I obviously think the Bulls should take it without having to share this year. :p

The news today that Todd Louden, backline coach decided to quit due to personal reasons (mmm I think his brother Waratah is a bit ill) will defenitely be a big blow for the Bulls though. Rumour has it that Joost or Naas might be asked wheter they're interested. If that's good or bad would remain to be seen - At the end of the day it's always night.

LOL @ Bokmagic - Very subtle!
towards the coast where we all know the real civilization starts.[/b]

Cant wait for the Currie Cup, I surporting WP and cant wait to see how they will do this year
When does the Currie Cup starts ?

Latest posts