• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Currie Cup FINAL 2011: Golden Lions - Natal Sharks (29-10-2011, 17:30)

This is good, good, good.

Was hoping the Lions would make it to 50, to give Plum a little harder thoughts, but hopefully this will make Plum have a little introspective look over the close season.

Terblanche and Smit gone, the man out in the cold Jacque-Louis Potgeiter off the wage bill, Joubert to go and 'mentor' the youngsters in the Vodacom Cup next year. McLeod back to fitness,

Season's finished, now is when supporters are allowed to rip into the players and management properly.
Things that need to be done:

A) Either give Lindique a chance next year, or bring in a quality 13.

B) Decide now what is going to be done with Lambie. With Goosen, Jantjies and Ehbersohn, SA don't 'need' to have the Sharks play Lambie at 10. So decide now who is going to start the season as our first choice 10,12 and 15. Then change as form/ injury dictates.

C) Keegan Daniel cannot go on like this, conceded 4 penalties by himself, and should have been penalized on three other occasions. No f***ing way can he be our captain whilst being a walking penalty machine.

D) Either get, develop or convert Daniel into a proper fetcher, the last would be the hardest as he doesn't have the same frame as Pocock/ Brussouw/ McCaw. Again we must look at either getting a quality one, or we can look to Chris Cloete/ Klienhans.

E) Deysel must be managed properly so he gets back to his former self, not getting around much. Before his injury was a threat at the break-downs, now he is only a threat to our own players the way he dives in.

F) Get this bloody habit of diving into the rucks out of our teams mentality, it's bloody disgraceful. It gets said time and time again, do as the Kiwis and Aussies do, play the ball and not the man. Mitchell has hammered this into the Lions these last two years, and it is paying off big time.

G) As with 10, 12 and 15, sort out our locks. No switching mid-season, we played great with Jan-Andre Marais and Bresler. If you want an enforcer lock Plum, Deysel isn't any use if he can't get to the rucks/ when he gets the ball he goes alone without any support.

H) Kanko needs to be given the ball in space for him to do anything, Coetzee is a great prospect who has Kanko's speed (if not hands), great strength and can break tackles. As with Deysel just get him out of the schoolboy mentality of going alone and beating back the opposition. In senior rugby big players are tackled in twos and threes. Make a plan for Kanko.

I) Scrum-half- Hoffman has been given enough time, he hasn't quite got there but we know the talent is there. Put him aside and let him sort out his distribution in the Vodacom Cup. Ross is most likely off with his boet to the Lions and UJ, so get somone in to back up McLeod seeing as Michalak is intent on playing 20, or play hardball with Froggie.

J) Argh, one could type up a whole lot more, pretty much just fustrated and trying to sort my thought, you guys know more than me and can also plainly see where problems lie.

Well done the Lions, you deserved the cup this year, my happy thoughts to all the 5-6000 hardcore Lions support who have followed your team through thick and thin. To all the fair-weather glory hunters, GTF.

OMW!! the boks lost to the Lions!!

Lol... the Sharks were hit out the park today!

Sharks had too many ball carriers and not enough guys competing at the ruck! Only Bismarck and Daniel trying to win the ball vs. Birthday boy, Franco vd Merwe, Josh Strauss, Doppies La Grange and Jaco Taute...

Also, and this might sound strange, but the Lions had waaaaaaaaay more pace in the backline than the sharks... **** even CJ chased down Ndungane in the beginning...

Lions Deservedly won this game, the Margin is a bit of a exaggeration IMO, and Ref Lawrence had some bad calls, both ways, though, but still... And poor old Beast, he got penalised a lot for not doing anything wrong and got pinged by the touch-judges...

The IRB need to sort out the props jerseys. Why penalize a player for being unable to get a bind on a tight jersey that simply cannot be gripped when already being tugged the other way by the hooker/ locks?

Not the best of games for Lawrence, trying to live up to his name-sake?

Agree with Heineken and LH.
We were the worst side and looked it. Lions wanted to win, we didn't.

Plum needs to sort this out. Deysel is not working, blindside or lock. Bresler and Marais looked like two for the future this year and were suddenly dropped. Daniel is a liability. Coetzee has good pace and decent hands, worth a shot on the openside (so we can play Kanko and Alberts/Deysel as well)?
Lambie to 10 please, Viljoen at 15 and some young blood in midfield along with Bosman (who looked decent at times, and seemed to be getting more confidence).
Ludik to 13 if all else fails. Not enough pace for back three, good hand and good defence though.

wow I had a feeling the Lions was going to take it, but not like this. Shame Sharkies, we know that when you guys hit form and the right combinations/decision making/right players! you guys can beat anyone, and I really hope you guys can sort that out. Imagine the tight SA conference next year, hell if it was the Super 14...

Good times are ahead!

Well, well, well. Well done, Lions. You have made great strides these last two seasons of CC and deserved ly won this one; Sharks thought they were showing up to win while the lions knew they were showing up to make a game of it and boy did they make the step up. Yes, Lawrence (LOL) had an influence but it wasn't material to the outcome and he can't be blamed for the BS that is the current state of affairs in the breakdowns and scrums, that is for the IRB to sort out.

At the end of the day the Lions took all their chances (can't remember them wasting a single opportunity for points bar Taute's one missed penalty from 61m out) while the Sharks weren't playing as a unit and looked leaderless TBH; leader didn't lead through either example or communication (general and of a gameplan where everyone knew what their role was and what the team needed to get done). Same has happened to them in the S15 play-offs and same has happened to Wp/Stormers and the Bokke; we need to sort this out.

Life will go on, I am just a bit miffed that last year every Lions supporter I chatted to last year in the Currie Cup were so down about their team, thought I was being sarcastic when I said that in 3/4 years the Lions team could be the envy of the SA provinces should they retain the bulk of their players.

Same people are now bursting their lungs claiming to be loyal supporters. :mad: I know it happens by my word it annoys the ***s off me.

A ray of hope for the WP supporters, take note!

The Sharks took twelve years from 1996 to 2008 to win the Currie Cup.

The Lions took twelve years from 1999 to 2011 to win the Currie Cup.

So the winner in 2012 will be???

Oops, not Western Province. :lol:

Where Eze???

Is he still sitting in Holland swearing at the Sharks, and hiding in a dark corner?? I want to hear his thoughts on the game.

Can anyone please tell me when does the Transfer window end in SA??

I know a bunch of players' contracts ends tomorrow and so from Tuesday the hunting will begin, if it hasn't already... I'm very curious about player movements in SA for next year...

One thing this year has shown is that all 5 our big franchises has pro's and con's, and I have a strong feeling that the management has ironed out most of its faults... Now this makes me very excited for next year's super 15 tournament! only problem is, that it's only NEXT YEAR!!

I'm happy I started following the Lions when the S15 started this year. Their super rugby was poor but this is awesome.
I hope their shape continues next season during S15

I hope they get the chance to build on something for a change. Rumours are going around that Strauss is moving to the Bulls, Jantjies is targeted by WP and Jaco Taute is linked to the Bulls since a couple of days.

They have lost so many good players over the years and never got the chance to build. Mostert, Ludik, Alberts, Deysel, Vermaak, Jantjes, Fourie, van Zyl, Bobo, Jacques Cronje, Habana, Brits... Just some players the Lions failed to hang on to in order to compete for the silverware.

I hope they get the chance to build on something for a change. Rumours are going around that Strauss is moving to the Bulls, Jantjies is targeted by WP and Jaco Taute is linked to the Bulls since a couple of days.

They have lost so many good players over the years and never got the chance to build. Mostert, Ludik, Alberts, Deysel, Vermaak, Jantjes, Fourie, van Zyl, Bobo, Jacques Cronje, Habana, Brits... Just some players the Lions failed to hang on to in order to compete for the silverware.

WP are done buying for the season...Well, that's what Rassie Erasmus said...so looks like we will be running around with yet another light five for at least the 2012 season... :(

@Eze...you jinxed the Sharks!!! ;) lol

I'm happy I started following the Lions when the S15 started this year. Their super rugby was poor but this is awesome.
I hope their shape continues next season during S15

They showed some promise (but had many weaknesses still) in the CC in 2010 and although they didn't have good S15 at least they did manage some wins this ti8me round LOL. I also hope the upward trend (winning the CC this time round!!) continues (but only against the Sharks and Aus/NZ teams LOL!). Some rumors that they might lose more players still.

Don't forget Willie Wepener, Heinke van der Merwe and the BIG one IMO Ernst Joubert in recent years. Hope they get to keep the current crop; who seem to have 'clicked'.

Where Eze???

Is he still sitting in Holland swearing at the Sharks, and hiding in a dark corner?? I want to hear his thoughts on the game.

Can anyone please tell me when does the Transfer window end in SA??

I know a bunch of players' contracts ends tomorrow and so from Tuesday the hunting will begin, if it hasn't already... I'm very curious about player movements in SA for next year...

One thing this year has shown is that all 5 our big franchises has pro's and con's, and I have a strong feeling that the management has ironed out most of its faults... Now this makes me very excited for next year's super 15 tournament! only problem is, that it's only NEXT YEAR!!

I was thinking the exact same thing; that no SA team is actually in a good place right now;

Sharks; have this weird habit of going AWOL at times; can't string 3 good games together. Not convinced about the strength in the 2nd row (losing Sykes and Mostert must hurt and lost Muller as well though his pushing on in any case) and centres. Though they could and probably will play Lambie at 12 considering their back-up options at 15 (Viljoen, Ludik and Ndugane).
Bulls; team is coming on better than I expected but they are getting in young guys and havn't played together much; in a building phase and any team will have a bit of schock from losing the amount of KEY players they have although young blood might see them pushing for a spot towards the end (which I predict they'll miss this year.. just).
Stormers; still no tight 5 worthy of respect from 'bigger' teams and lost a whole host of depth and young players while retaining plaenty of underperforming "big names" in the backline. Also no replacement for our outbound openside in FLouw... I'll be glad if we end 2nd of the SA teams. Will need some luck getting there though IMO.
Cheetahs; lost the obligatory raft of players again and might lose more still. That will lead to needing more time to "gel" from scratch and bad communication leading to weak defense will cost them many tight games again IMO. An exciting team still but not "complete" or anything near it TBH.
Lions; on a high but the CC is the CC and Super rugby is a whole other ball game. If they can manage to maintain their players and momentum they'll push for top 3 in SA but that's won't be saying much IMO though sadly.

Last edited:
Well I everybody has said it already. Sharks hearts were just not in this game.
Not to cheapen the Lions victory though, they played a hell of a game. Their intensity was something else! I actually started hoping the Lions would take it during the game, they were just so hungry for this and Mitchell deserves this. He is an excellent coach.

On that note... The people who are saying he should be in the running for Bok coach are delusional. Not saying he's not fit to coach the Boks, but do they honestly think he even wants the job? He is FULLY committed to the Lions at the moment and as just started to reap the benefits of 2 years of hardwork. He will not take the job even if he was offered it. Guaranteed. Plus I don't think he buys the hype he is being given at the moment, he been around for too long to fall for that.

Not that SARU would hire a foreign coach, they're still to proud and arrogant to let any type of outside help in. Remember how ****** off they got with the whole Eddie Jones saga. God forbid an outsider ruining our potent Bok backline!

Anyway, Plum needs to sort out our backline out. Our weakness in the centres has been our Achilles heel ever since Trevor Halstead and Andre Snyman left! The way your centres play determines how your backline functions, and it seems like the coaches are clueless on what they want. We also need to decide in the upcoming S15 season where Lambie is gonna fit into our plans, and what Freddie is bringing to us long term. Is he there to mentor, or to fill in a preserved gap we have at flyhalf? Plum is not winning many fans by displacing Lambie from flyhalf, which where most of SA are waiting for him to get an extended run. Oh and get us some proper locks!

To be honest, I hope things will change and Plum shows some balls and makes some tough decisions. Terblanche is leaving (Thank god for that) and Jacobs should get a chance for once. I think he has the ability to give us the strength we need. With Lambie inside him, nice things can happen. What Michalak's long-term plans are, I don't know but I feel Lambie should be our fly-half, especially after the second-half performance against the Cheetahs last week.

You know what ****** me off... All of a sudden the Lions Supporters are again the most cocky, arrogant SOB's like they always were...

I still get daily mails by friends that shows how great the Lions are or stupid jokes that are as old as Noah's Ark. Here's a few:

It's not really raining outside, it's all the Sharks fans coming back to earth...
The Bulls bought 2 locks, one for the front gate, and one for the rear gate...
and then that one about SARU implementing new quota laws for individual teams for next year:
The Lions must play 5 disabled players
The Bulls must play 5 black players
The Cheetahs must play 5 english players
The Stormers must play 5 white players
The Sharks must play 5 rugby players...

While this is still a bit amusing, i find it sooo stupid as these were old jokes the other franchises always had about the lions... they just love to copy from the other teams...