TRF_Ezequiel

Kanko Krazy!!!
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Netherlands
Club or Nation
Sharks
Currie Cup Logo.png

Round 6 of this years Currie Cup is the start of the second half of the season. With the teams all having played each other, the log is very exiting. 3 teams are topping the log with 15 points, being WP, Golden Lions and Natal Sharks. The latter was the only team losing last weekend neglecting to stay clear of the pack. After winning against the Sharks, this time the Griquas team will take on the Blue Bulls who are bottom of the log and the only team without a bonus point this season. With Griquas winning and losing to the Golden Lions themselves, they are now bottom of the log. The men from Pretoria need to win this one if they want to keep their play-off hopes alive and prevent a promotion/relegation match at the end of the season.

The second match of the day is played in Bloemfontein where the Cheetahs now face the Lions after losing to WP the previous round. The Free State team is in 4th place on the log, trailing by 4 points. The Cheetahs also need a win to stay close to the log leaders. The Golden Lions will try to build on the win at Loftus and not losing a lot of players to Bok duty is really helping them this year. Can they go on to win the Cup again? It's too early but not missing vital players does give them a certain edge again.

The final match of week 6 is played in Durban where the Sharks meet Western Province. The Sharks, after winning in Cape Town twice in 2 weeks, should be full of confidence heading towards this top of the table-clash. Both teams, as mentioned earlier, are tied at 15 points. The winner will take a huge step at home advantage in the semi-final. After scoring 4 tries against both the Bulls and Cheetahs in consecutive matches, failed to score even one against the Griquas. WP however come off a strong 2 weeks where they thrashed the Blue Bulls 42-6 at Newlands before beating the Cheetahs in their own home 22-29.

The vBookie event for this round will be Free State Cheetahs - Golden Lions

Round 6 Fixtures

GWK Griquas.png
Versus%20Currie%20Cup.png
Blue Bulls.png

GWK Park, Kimberley (14:00 GMT)

Free State Cheetahs.png
Golden Lions.png

Free State Stadium, Bloemfontein (16:05 GMT)

Natal Sharks.png
Western Province.png

Kings Park, Durban (18:10 GMT)

Jordaan out but Whitehead in.
On current form I'd pick Whitehead over Steyn for us. I hope Tim is able to get back to the level he was at before his injury.

Well, maybe we can now finally move Bosman to fly-half, have Whitehead-Ludik as our centers and shift Viljoen to his best position, full back.

Well, maybe we can now finally move Bosman to fly-half, have Whitehead-Ludik as our centers and shift Viljoen to his best position, full back.

Little Cobus to scrumhalf and we have a deal.
That backline... Oh yes!

I realised that there could be a possibility of a Serfontein/Jordaan midfield in a few years, Springboks need a backline coach by then. Reinach/Some other SH, Lambie/Goosen, Pietersen, Serfontein, Jordaan, Rhule, Taute/Ludik.

Based on Sharksworld, you already have heard the rumours about Steven Sykes. Need I even ask your opinion?
If Plum moves Alberts to second row, however...

Last edited:
Sykes has been the least consistent lock in recent years, maybe even the least consistent player. What does bother me is the lack of player retention in Durban. After going through 20 fly-halves in 5 years we now have had a shitload of locks in the last 3 years. Van den Berg, Ackermann, Muller, Sykes, Mostert, Skeate, Hargreaves, Steenkamp, Bresler, du Toit (2x), Alberts, Deysel all played lock for us recently.

GWK Griquas:
15. Willie le Roux, 14. Jannie Boshoff, 13. Jean Stemmet, 12. Walter Venter, 11. Rocco Jansen, 10. Francois Brummer, 9. Marnus Hugo, 8. Leon Karemaker, 7. Wesley Wilkins ©, 6. Marnus Schoeman, 5. Martin Muller, 4. Ligtoring Landman, 3. Lourens Adriaanse, 2. Matthew Dobson, 1. Steph Roberts.

Reserves:
16. Simon Westraadt, 17. Ivann Espag, 18. Edwin Hewitt, 19. Justin Downey, 20. Jacques Coetzee, 21. Marnitz Boshoff, 22. Richard Lawson.

Blue Bulls:
15. Jürgen Visser, 14. Akona Ndungane, 13. Ulrich Beyers, 12. Francois Venter, 11. JJ Engelbrecht, 10. Louis Fouchè, 9. Rudy Paige, 8. Dewald Potgieter ©, 7. CJ Stander, 6. Warwick Tecklenburg, 5. Grant Hattingh, 4. Wilhelm Steenkamp, 3. Werner Kruger, 2. Willie Wepener, 1. Dawie Steyn.

Reserves:
16. Bongi Mbonambi, 17. Frik Kirsten, 18. Cornell Hess, 19. Jean Cook, 20. Ruan Snyman, 21. Lionel Cronjè, 22. Jan Serfontein.

Natal Sharks:
15. Louis Ludik, 14. Odwa Ndungane, 13. Tim Whitehead, 12. Meyer Bosman, 11. Rosco Speckman, 10. Riaan Viljoen, 9. Cobus Reinach, 8. Keegan Daniel ©, 7. Jean Deysel, 6. Jacques Botes, 5. Anton Bresler, 4. Jandre Marais, 3. Wiehahn Herbst, 2. Pieter Dixon, 1. Dale Chadwick

Reserves:
16. Monde Hadebe, 17. Julian Redelinghuys, 18. Peet Marais, 19. Brynard Stander, 20. Charl McLeod, 21. Marius Joubert, 22. S'bura Sithole

Western Province:
15. Gio Aplon, 14. Gerhard van den Heever, 13. JP du Plessis, 12. Marcel Brache, 11. Damian de Allende, 10. Demetri Catrakilis, 9. Nic Groom, 8. Jebb Sinclair, 7. Tyrone Holmes, 6. Deon Fourie ©, 5. De Kock Steenkamp, 4. Don Armand, 3. Brok Harris, 2. Siyabonga Ntubeni, 1. Deon Carstens

Reserves:
16. Steven Kitshoff, 17. Tom Botha, 18. Wilhelm van der Sluys, 19. Helmut Lehmann, 20. Louis Schreuder, 21. Kurt Coleman, 22. Joe Pietersen

Free Sate Cheetahs:
15. Hennie Daniller, 14. Nico Scheepers, 13. Robert Ebersohn ©, 12. Andries Strauss, 11. Raymond Rhule, 10. Tewis du Bruyn, 9. Sarel Pretorius, 8. Hendro Scholtz, 7. Lappies Labuschagne, 6. Heinrich Brüssow, 5. Izak van der Westhuizen, 4. Francois Uys, 3. Marcel van der Merwe, 2. Hercu Liebenberg, 1. Schalk van der Merwe.

Reserves:
16. Elandré Huggett, 17. Ross Geldenhuys, 18. Carl Wegner, 19. Davon Raubenheimer, 20. Sias Ebersohn, 21. Phillip Snyman, 22. Rayno Benjamin.

Golden Lions:
15. Andries Coetzee, 14. Deon Helberg, 13. Lionel Mapoe, 12. Alwyn Hollenbach, 11. Ruan Combrinck, 10. Elton Jantjies, 9. Michael Bondesio, 8. Warren Whiteley, 7. Willie Britz, 6. Cobus Grobbelaar, 5. Franco Van der Merwe, 4. Hendrik Roodt, 3. Jacobie Adriaanse, 2. Callie Visagie, 1. JC Janse van Rensburg ©.

Reserves:
16. Bandise Maku, 17. Ruan Dreyer, 18. Etienne Oosthuizen, 19. Michael Rhodes, 20. Ross Cronje, 21. Butch James, 22. Jaco Taute.

Natal Sharks:
15. Louis Ludik, 14. Odwa Ndungane, 13. Tim Whitehead, 12. Meyer Bosman, 11. Rosco Speckman, 10. Riaan Viljoen, 9. Cobus Reinach, 8. Keegan Daniel ©, 7. Jean Deysel, 6. Jacques Botes, 5. Anton Bresler, 4. Jandre Marais, 3. Wiehahn Herbst, 2. Pieter Dixon, 1. Dale Chadwick

Reserves:
16. Monde Hadebe, 17. Julian Redelinghuys, 18. Peet Marais, 19. Brynard Stander, 20. Charl McLeod, 21. Marius Joubert, 22. S'bura Sithole

Western Province:
15. Gio Aplon, 14. Gerhard van den Heever, 13. JP du Plessis, 12. Marcel Brache, 11. Damian de Allende, 10. Demetri Catrakilis, 9. Nic Groom, 8. Jebb Sinclair, 7. Tyrone Holmes, 6. Deon Fourie ©, 5. De Kock Steenkamp, 4. Don Armand, 3. Brok Harris, 2. Siyabonga Ntubeni, 1. Deon Carstens

Reserves:
16. Steven Kitshoff, 17. Tom Botha, 18. Wilhelm van der Sluys, 19. Helmut Lehmann, 20. Louis Schreuder, 21. Kurt Coleman, 22. Joe Pietersen

Thanks Plum!

Things are not yet final on the Sharks line-up. Deysel is facing a late fitness test. If he fails, Brynard Stander (Yes!!!) will take his place and Kleinhans will come on the bench.

If Reinach and Stander start, we are pretty much set, right bru?
It's like us demanding Gouws Prinsloo to start last year.

Well, Reinach was your guy, Stander my dark horse. I am pretty happy he is with the squad, given the fact he is a loose forward where we already have so many players. If he is to make the Super Rugby squad, he has to really prove himself to compete with Botes, Daniel, Coetzee, Alberts, Deysel and Kankowski.

Well, Reinach was your guy, Stander my dark horse. I am pretty happy he is with the squad, given the fact he is a loose forward where we already have so many players. If he is to make the Super Rugby squad, he has to really prove himself to compete with Botes, Daniel, Coetzee, Alberts, Deysel and Kankowski.

Well, Kanko and Botes won't be a problem (Japan and Ireland respectively if I remember correctly).

Kanko will be back in February. He is only in Japan for 6 months and Botes' move to England has not yet been confirmed.

Sykes to Kings appears to be a done deal.
Have you been in SA lately, Eze? ;)

Didn't realise it but WP signed Ruan Botha a few weeks back. I would have taken him at the Sharks, but we have a pretty good pool of young second row talent.
PSdT has been tipped by some as blindside cover. I see it as unlikely, with Coetzee, Deysel, Kleinhans, Stander, Alberts all capable of covering in the back row. Du Toit has some pace, apparently.

Shhhh, don't tell but I am trying to get Stemmet to Newport and McLeod to the Kings as well.

You can have Chadwick, Botes, Hoffmann, Ndungane and Joubert. Just stay away from Marais (both!), PSdT, Bresler, Coetzee, Lambie, JPP, Ludik, Beast, Bismarck, Kanko, Reinach, Ludik, Sithole and especialy Brynard Stander!!!

Latest posts