• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Customisable controls

Which of these control systems do you think should be implemented?

• Pass Left X(Square) - Pass Right B(Circle) - Xbox '06

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • Pass Left L1 - Pass Right R1 - PS2 '08

Votes: 72 59.5%
  • Both available as options

Votes: 40 33.1%
  • Another option

Votes: 8 6.6%

• Total voters
i get you CA , not a bad idea. ime not sure but when you hold the 360 contoller i think your fingers are in a better place for the R1/L1, i think with xbox it should be RT pass right LT pass left and one of R/ with an option for a&b passing.but the ps3 well i hate the contooller so ime not going to go into that. sorry this only kinda makes sense

No, it makes sense to me. I like the PS3, love it in fact, but the controller hasn't moved on from the old PS2 Dual Shock 2 Controller. The Dual Shock 3 is actually worse in one way. They've made L2 and R2 actually go all the way to the bottom where your grip fingers are, it's very easy to set them off without meaning to. This isn't a problem with the old Dual Shock 2, as it has a small plastic guard there to stop that.

The Xbox controllers we're always a little bigger and more comfortable for me, I haven't used a 360, but I sure hope they areas good as the old Xbox ones, but slightly more evolved.

No, it makes sense to me. I like the PS3, love it in fact, but the controller hasn't moved on from the old PS2 Dual Shock 2 Controller. The Dual Shock 3 is actually worse in one way. They've made L2 and R2 actually go all the way to the bottom where your grip fingers are, it's very easy to set them off without meaning to. This isn't a problem with the old Dual Shock 2, as it has a small plastic guard there to stop that.

The Xbox controllers we're always a little bigger and more comfortable for me, I haven't used a 360, but I sure hope they areas good as the old Xbox ones, but slightly more evolved.

I've actually just picked up my PS3 dualshock and I realise what you mean. With both index and middle finger of your right hand needing to hover over R1 and R2 it does feel wierd with the progressive R2 button because slight pressure will set it off. Maybe it could work if you go used to it but im now certainly open to suggestion of using the face buttons/costumising the controls on next gen as a main improvement area.

i don't know what i do when i play it just lke happens. the thing i don't like about the ps3 contoler is the R2 and L2 thing to it just gets on my nevors

I actually like the PS3 L2/R2 buttons, once you get used to them they can be way better than the old PS2 controllers, they just need to use the pressure sensitive buttons better in games.

I actually like the PS3 L2/R2 buttons, once you get used to them they can be way better than the old PS2 controllers, they just need to use the pressure sensitive buttons better in games.

It doesn't matter who you are or how used to them you get, they are so pressure sensitive that you will have had them inadvertently send and R2 or L2 command at a time you didn't want it. You may be used to them to an extent where it doesn't happen as much, but it's a widespread (yet minor) problem for a good proportion of games that frequently use those buttons. They rest on your hands instead of a piece of the controllers casing, so hand movements will invariably set them off from time to time.

It's not a constant issue, but it's there.

Well I have just played my first game of '08 for quite some time. I usually play '06 on the Xbox and I have to say where most of my grief on the control scheme comes from.

I don't actually mind passing left with L1 and right with R1, not at all. I still prefer the X & B from Rugby '06 on Xbox any day of the week, but L1 R1 is functional. Although that is not where the problem is.

The problem is with R2. R2 is great for sprinting, and L1 and R1 are decent for passing, BUT they do not work well together.

The problem is this, when you hold the Playstation controller in your hands to play this, your left hand can place it's index finger on the L1 and rest the middle finger under the base of the controller for stability. When you place your right hand in the same position the controller feels stable in your hands and is ready for action, but you can't do this. You need your middle finger on your right hand for applying to R2 for sprint.

The crucial time where things go wrong and feel extra unbalanced are when you are sprinting on attack which is during most of the attack and trying to pass to the right at the same time.

When you try to (with your right hand again) hover your index finger over R1 and your middle finger over R2, the right side of the controller feels loose. You only have your remaining two fingers securing the base of the controller. This makes the controller move about in your hands a little and feels very awkward and slightly unbalanced because you have three fingers under the left side of the controller. If you try and make them both symmetrical and have your left index over L1 and left middle over L2, this all feels even looser in the hands.

If it absolutely must be L1/R1 passing only (which it shouldn't - the two options should be there), then sprint should be relocated to Triangle (where it was with Jonah Lomu's). This would push grubber to R2 (or drop goal if you wanted to swap those two around). The benefit of that, is that grubbers and drop goals should be awkward and a momentary unbalance in your hands would be the price you pay for having a stab at these more skilled moves.

Please tell me someone understands what I'm talking about? :)

glad to see im not the only one still playing xbox:p

is jonah lomu rugby made by ea? because the control scheme seems similar to "rugby" for the ps2, with triangle as sprint.
triangle as sprint is good, but i guess the problem is kicking while sprinting. but could be fixed with
grubber to R2 (or drop goal if you wanted to swap those two around
. of course, x/b or square/ circle for passing would be better IMO.;)

glad to see im not the only one still playing xbox:p

is jonah lomu rugby made by ea? because the control scheme seems similar to "rugby" for the ps2, with triangle as sprint.
triangle as sprint is good, but i guess the problem is kicking while sprinting. but could be fixed with . of course, x/b or square/ circle for passing would be better IMO.;)

Yeah I still like '06. :) '08 had it's improvements and it's steps backwards (drop goals for one), but in general it's not the smooth playing experience of '06.

Jonah Lomu wasn't made by EA, it's just the first PS2 rugby game wasn't developed by HB Studios, but another development team which perhaps shared some of the ideals of the Codemasters Jonah Lomu team.

I see what you mean with my L1/R1 passing and triangle sprint. It then becomes difficult to kick whilst sprinting true, but which international players can sprint full tilt and punt kick at the same time? Unless it was maybe shifted to R2 in that configuration. That way your not having to pass L1/R1 when your kicking anyhow, so would be manageable. Personally if there was a kick that you could do whilst sprinting, I'd prefer it to be the grubber, as that is often dropped onto the toe at full sprint.

With my favourite (and yours apparently :) ) X & B, (or square/circle for ps2), you could easily have R2 sprint, and A (X on PS2) kicking.

They should just have the default controls and then the ability to customise them if you wish

I much prefer using X/B to pass left/right
L2 to sprint (although this should be touch sensitive... if you hold the trigger right down you really sprint but if you only half hold it you run not quite as fast but use less stamina.)
L1 to Drop goal (cause you probably wont need to sprint and drop goal)

There needs to be greater options for the 'cut out pass' being able to throw a long pass from you no. 10 to one of the wingers would be pretty sweet.
Everyone seems so defensive that their way is 'RIGHT' it's just like 'End-on-view' vs 'Side-on-view' neither one is wrong it just comes down to personal preference.

Anyhow, they should just be made fully customisable that way there will be no complaints.

As HB are hoping to be more involved in the near future, I'm necroing this in the hope of hearing something about the controls.

Latest posts