• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

David Wallace.

Squigley

Academy Player
Country Flag
Ireland
Club or Nation
Munster
As an Irish man it is only natural that I am slightly biased towards players from this God forsaken rock, in particular one man who has always stood out for me is David Wallace. Although not the flashiest 7 in world rugby there is no denying that Wallace, or Wally, is to put it simply, a class act. And though he will not be remembered in the same vane as McCaw, I believe he has been without a doubt one of the best openside flankers in the world for the past 10 years. At 34 you would think he would be slowing down but recent form suggests otherwise as he has put in some barnstorming displays for Munster and Ireland over the course of the season. So basically, I was just curious to know how you Welsh, English, Scottish, French, Bok, Aussie and Kiwi fans rate him.

Last edited:
Far too effective by far/wish he was English (or an Ulsterman, I'd accept that)

I love Wally , gives it his all , extremely fast off the mark and I don't ever remember seeing him stopped behind the gainline pure animal , not a stereotypical 7 but was the first big hard runner I saw in the 7 position ,set the trend for SOB , I also feel that the reason he is so powerful is the fact he has spent his life babysitting ROG from opposition strike runners fantastic player who who never got the credit he deserved I feel

Didn't even know who he was before the Lions Tour 2009. Good player, but he's been crap this season.

Remember the England match this season ? he was the best player on the pitch

And I will concede that Henson looks rather fetching in your sig...

He appears to be trying to kidnap a struggling Matthew Tait...

David Wallace has been a class act for Ireland and Munster and as LN7 pointed out he's spent a large proportion of his career babysitting O'Gara.
I agree with Log that he's not really a classic number 7. More of a 6 or 8. But our whole backrow has a tendency to chip in even amounts of the ground work, with Heaslip probably doing the most of it (although did anyone see Sean O'Pocock's serious 7 performance against Leicester?)
However, regardless of his performances of late I still think his best place for Ireland is on the bench with Ferris at 6, SOB at 7 and Heaslip at 8

Last edited:
I'm not sure Ireland should drop Wallace actually. He's been getting a slagging because he's been doing the nitty-gritty close in stuff rather than his usual charges out wide, so he looks less conspicuous, but is actually doing vital things. I remember Ferris getting accused of not doing enough because he was doing the same role. They swapped prior to the 6N, and Wallace has stayed in that role and does it better than anyone in Ireland could save a fit Ferris, and a fit Ferris is really someone you want hitting space. Not sure who should drop out as and when Ferris returns.

He's never been a conventional 7 though, but its all about balance.

He appears to be trying to kidnap a struggling Matthew Tait...

Given when that was taken, it makes him look like a paedophile.

Dont think anyone could seriously consider dropping Wallace given the tournament hes had.

Ferris has to play his way back in.

Lads Ferris hasn't played enough consistently and needs to play his way back in to team. I think Ireland have great competition and depht at backrow though and it's our strongest area of team

Latest posts