• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

dc. english file

L

Lochsta22

Whenever I try to edit the English file such as changing the text from REPRESENTATIVE to my competition AIC it results in the game crashing at the first Rugby 08 loading screen. Does anyone know how to fix this?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Lochsta22 @ Feb 11 2010, 02:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Whenever I try to edit the English file such as changing the text from REPRESENTATIVE to my competition AIC it results in the game crashing at the first Rugby 08 loading screen. Does anyone know how to fix this?[/b]

Which program do you edit the .english file with?

I get this too. I can change ALL other text, but the text for International, Representative, Super 14 and Euro. I assume that i'm not editing the same text to match in the be29.xml?

Though i have never tried.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Intercept King JdV @ Feb 12 2010, 12:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Lochsta22 @ Feb 11 2010, 02:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Whenever I try to edit the English file such as changing the text from REPRESENTATIVE to my competition AIC it results in the game crashing at the first Rugby 08 loading screen. Does anyone know how to fix this?[/b]

Which program do you edit the .english file with?
[/b][/quote]

Just notepad for now.

Don't worry, I figured it out. Is it possible to change who is in the competitions. For example put let's say England in the Tri-Nations instead of Australia?

dc.english just alters text. Though, you will notice, like the numpties they are they double-linked some text, so team names double as stadium names. If you want to change team names, then forget dc.english and use the xml instead.

Simply put, in the xml file for the team coding, the text is linked specifically to a stringID (where a specific text is) and that's what you changed in dc.english. However, where you see the teamname in the xml, you just delete the stringID coding, and the text you put in the " " marks will appear in-game. Makes everything 120% easier.

To assign teams in a competition, you need the list of .rsg and .xml files from rugbygob. Make a note of the ID numbers in these files for specific teams/stadia and then just input as you wish.

So if the home team was England, u'd use their code, then the code for the away team. And the same for the stadia. If you don't match the codes properly, the game will crash.. but it's basic common sense, you will find after a few attempts.

Good luck.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Fa'atau82 @ Feb 13 2010, 06:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
dc.english just alters text. Though, you will notice, like the numpties they are they double-linked some text, so team names double as stadium names. If you want to change team names, then forget dc.english and use the xml instead.

Simply put, in the xml file for the team coding, the text is linked specifically to a stringID (where a specific text is) and that's what you changed in dc.english. However, where you see the teamname in the xml, you just delete the stringID coding, and the text you put in the " " marks will appear in-game. Makes everything 120% easier.

To assign teams in a competition, you need the list of .rsg and .xml files from rugbygob. Make a note of the ID numbers in these files for specific teams/stadia and then just input as you wish.

So if the home team was England, u'd use their code, then the code for the away team. And the same for the stadia. If you don't match the codes properly, the game will crash.. but it's basic common sense, you will find after a few attempts.

Good luck.[/b]

Thanks a lot. Seems a little bit beyond my abilities but I'll give it a go.

Just my 2 pennies worth!!

when you try and edit the dc371d84ed78d4cf88a641a8d8abc38a.english file with notepad it comes up all scrambled to make it a editable file you need to open it up with bigGUI.

1, Right mouse on the dc371d84ed78d4cf88a641a8d8abc38a.english file then scroll down to {Open With} now locate bigGUI.exe

2, Once you have done that bigGUI will open up but nothing will be displayed in there, dont worry this is fine. You will now notice in the folder where you have the dc371d84ed78d4cf88a641a8d8abc38a.english there is now another file ~dc371d84ed78d4cf88a641a8d8abc38a.english

3 You can now close bigGUI and now open ~dc371d84ed78d4cf88a641a8d8abc38a.english with notepad or any hex editor!!

Hope this helps. . . .

Thanks for all the help guys. I found it easier then I thought it would be to edit it in xvi32.

Lochsta, silly question, but did you manage to change the text for team categories (super14, european, international, representative) in xvi32 without the game crashing?

I tried it, it's easy to find if you search for '14' but either no changes happen in the game, or it crashes.

I did get it working. Except I think it crashes if I go into Squad Management. That doesn't really bother me though. For me it crashed when their were no teams in the "repepresentative spot" in the teams list notepad file. I moved all the teams i was going to put in into international. For a while it worked with it with nothing where it says like StringTeam "representative" or whatever it is. I had it as "" that. Your crashing might have something do with that, or your editing the wrong text in XVI. You need to edit the catogries (terrible spelling) where they are all in caps (SUPER 14, REPRESENTATIVE etc.) below where it says Centre the display. It took me a while to get it to work. Let me know how you go

Thanks. The only bit i can't figure out. I'd assume the be29.xml text must match what you alter in dc.english. Did you do that

I think if you leave it as Representative or International or whatever in the be29.xml then it should just go to what it replaced.