• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Defence and difficulty ***SPOILER

J

jimmy44

Can anyone who has played it help on this - on loads of the videos and from comments from a few other people, there is regulary a gap up the middle. Makes the play look a bit repetitive. i.e pass the ball to number 12 then run!

I just wanted to know if this is still the case on the hardest difficulty, or does the defence spread across better?

Cheers
<

Originally posted by Gay-Guy@Mar 7 2005, 12:21 PM
The answer to this has been answered many times over the last month.
No it hasn't - only Locksley has played the game on hard difficulty and he didn't answer the question, which is why I started a new thread!!

Anyway, Shane helped me
<

I would like to know the answer to this as well, I have the demo and have not only noticed the gap in the middle, but that if you sprint any of your backs diagonaly at the defence, there is a sweet spot between any two players that will have them not tackle you at all, as long as you are sprinting between them diagonaly. Needless to say i am winng every game 70-0, and this is also due to the lack of attacking from the other team. When they decide to run, they actually put together some decent moves, but they just seem to kick, kick and then kick some more, giving me the ball straight back for another bulls**t try. Even inside my 22 they still just grubber and chip, and this was the english team, who recycle and crash it up relentlessly in real life. Dont get me wrong, It was intense fun while it lasted, and is way better than 2004 but these are potentially game killing flaws if the harder difficulty levels dont fix these problems, so could anyone who knows the answer please put me out of my misery.

I thought we covered this about the defensive formations you can choose with the d-pad.

Do the formations (standard, wide, tight, kick) make no difference no matter what you select?

Edit* 70 - 0 in the demo? Thank god it's on Easy diff.

choosing formations does work, but your players cant get set in time so you end up gettig caught short, sometimes when you choose it they all just run around like headless chickens. Im just gonna leave it alone. 70-0, heres how I do it.

1. get the ball and spread it wide.

2. sprint diagonly between any backline defenders(you will ghost straight through every time)

3. Once you have broken the line run stright at the full back, do not try to beat him, take the hit and recycle the ball.

4. Repeat step 1 and 2, there will be no fullback as he is still at the nottom of the last ruck, trie!!!

Its crazy Ive scored huge 70m tries, its fun but a bit of a worry!!

Originally posted by CeeJay@Mar 8 2005, 09:53 AM
choosing formations does work, but your players cant get set in time so you end up gettig caught short, sometimes when you choose it they all just run around like headless chickens. Im just gonna leave it alone. 70-0, heres how I do it.

2. sprint diagonly between any backline defenders(you will ghost straight through every time)

3. Once you have broken the line run stright at the full back, do not try to beat him, take the hit and recycle the ball.

4. Repeat step 1 and 2, there will be no fullback as he is still at the nottom of the last ruck, trie!!!

yea this is a worry - Locks,Shane any thoughts??

Cheers

Originally posted by captainamerica@Mar 8 2005, 10:12 AM
Because the demo is automatically on the easy difficulty.
thanks Shane, or are you Locksley?

This difficulty should be called free try mode, honestly, even on easy the opposition should at least be able to stop you sometimes and atleast score 3 points.

Originally posted by jimmy44+Mar 8 2005, 10:22 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jimmy44 @ Mar 8 2005, 10:22 AM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-captainamerica
@Mar 8 2005, 10:12 AM
thanks Shane, or are you Locksley? [/b]
Neither, swampcrotch.

But after hearing that the demo was on Easy mode -- I think we were told that back in 1978 -- I thought I'd save the hastle and assure you that yeah, the demo is on easy which would explain the high try count after prolonged play.

No, I'll continue.

Do you remember watching any of the demo vids Locks posted up (now we're getting into Jan/Feb 1979) where Locks was breaking the line all the time, on every phase of the ball, running past defenders at will only to to press the Garryowen button as he approached the try line?

I'm sure Locks would be more than happy to come on here and say, "Yeah, easy difficulty is very easy."

But why should he, he said it 16 years ago. That's all I'm saying, mate.

There is, however, a significant increase in the difficulty levels as you go up. You do have to work for tries . . . but how would I know, I'm just going on everything that's ever been posted in the Rugby 2005 section.

<

Apologies if this post has a ******** like tone, it was not intended.

Originally posted by captainamerica+Mar 8 2005, 12:15 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (captainamerica @ Mar 8 2005, 12:15 PM)</div>
Originally posted by jimmy44@Mar 8 2005, 10:22 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-captainamerica
@Mar 8 2005, 10:12 AM

thanks Shane, or are you Locksley?
Neither, swampcrotch.

But after hearing that the demo was on Easy mode -- I think we were told that back in 1978 -- I thought I'd save the hastle and assure you that yeah, the demo is on easy which would explain the high try count after prolonged play.

No, I'll continue.

Do you remember watching any of the demo vids Locks posted up (now we're getting into Jan/Feb 1979) where Locks was breaking the line all the time, on every phase of the ball, running past defenders at will only to to press the Garryowen button as he approached the try line?

I'm sure Locks would be more than happy to come on here and say, "Yeah, easy difficulty is very easy."

But why should he, he said it 16 years ago. That's all I'm saying, mate.

There is, however, a significant increase in the difficulty levels as you go up. You do have to work for tries . . . but how would I know, I'm just going on everything that's ever been posted in the Rugby 2005 section.

<

Apologies if this post has a ******** like tone, it was not intended. [/b]
Gold caps...gold.

<

<<only to press the gary owen button>> recalling this, I laughed for about half a minute.

classic.

on easy all ya have to do is pass to ur fastest player and he makes bits of the cpu defence! but on hard its damn hard but a good challenge! jus look at my gameplay footage!

Originally posted by jimmy44+Mar 8 2005, 10:09 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jimmy44 @ Mar 8 2005, 10:09 AM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-CeeJay
@Mar 8 2005, 09:53 AM

yea this is a worry - Locks,Shane any thoughts??

Cheers [/b]
Well it had to come out sometime, that's the "Tactic" I mentioned in my review!

That's why my mate hates Rugby 2005 so much! He tries to play the game without doing it, but can't help himself, so he hates it! He was regularly winning matches, 70-80 odd nil on Medium mode! Hard mode does stop it to an extent, but it can still be done!

To be honest, I can't do it! But then again, I'm not really trying because it totally ruins the game!

Oh, and by the way, the demo is on MEDIUM difficulty!

Is it possible to put a warning or some kind of SPOILER alert on this thread?

I know 240 some people have seen it, but still, they might not have realized it when they did. I didn't until you said this was it
<
I just figured it was easy and no one got back to cover fullback . . .

folk could try to be a little more inventive and vary their strategy as opposed to use a "tactic" to win all the time... you don't actually have to use the tactic...

try tactical kicking (it can be done, I've done & do it), playing plenty of crash ball, sniping runs from the SH or from the back row from scrums/mauls... play as a weak team (good job I'm from Ulster then!) as the lack of pace from your centre's/wing's should make it that bit more difficult too run in those 70m scores
the point I'm trying to make is, if you know that you are gonna score an easy try every time you spin the ball out wide, just don't do it each time, there are other elements to the sport

when you know something that will spoil the game for you and then persist to use that... you've got urself to blame

It had to come out sometime I suppose..........

I've noticed this ability to go diagonally through the defense more on the side camera vids, rather then the end on cameras.....

Even PES4 has an "easy score" flaw (running past the keeper on an away angle, and then shooting back towards goal - the keeper would always leave a gap for an easy goal).

It's just a case of not exploiting the problem (I'm sure people should be able to restrain themselves). I personally can not see the fun of intentionally playing a certain way each time I have the ball in order to get soft tries. Even if you do go through the line using the diagonal running method surely you can refrain from deliberately running straight at the fullback??........or even if you do get tackled by the fullback ensuring that you do not then again use the diagonal running cheat until the fullback is back in position??
<

True.

But what sucks is that now this is officially out before the majority of people even have the game.

Originally posted by captainamerica@Mar 8 2005, 02:53 PM
True.

But what sucks is that now this is officially out before the majority of people even have the game.
I agree, but I'm sure most people would have sussed out the problem pretty quickly..........

I for one will now be more intent on NOT using this method now that I know the flaw.......

Latest posts