• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Ditch the knock on rule?!!

I know there is an unwritten rule of 'referee what matters' going on sometimes. IE something that is technically against the laws, but it would be detrimental to the game to punish. But, even a little knock on is still a knock on, and if there can be no advantage to the non-offending team the a scrum must be ordered.

Hi all

Can I ask what we all think about the knock on rule? Why do we have one? I'm sure there will be purists who will argue it shows a lack of skill?

So, ask yourself; do you prefer a stop start game with millions of scrums, that themselves need resetting? Or do we keep the continuity and pace going?

For me, for instance, if the scrum half happens to accidentally drop the ball an inch forward whilst getting it out of a messy ruck it isn't worth stopping the game for. The result, a multiple reset slow scrum, dull! For that matter, even if a centre happens to knock it forward when catching it off his boot straps, why stop? You may have to create a rule saying you can't score whilst knocking on.

Let's get on with it!!!

What do we think? :D
I just started a different thread about this issue but your suggestion doesnt work, the suggestion on my thread was if the ball is knocked on then the team has to leave the ball and allow the other team to take possession. If they dont its a penalty. Stops a player knocking on and dropping on it to kill play. So we wait for a scrum.

Forward passes are still a scrum.

I just started a different thread about this issue but your suggestion doesnt work, the suggestion on my thread was if the ball is knocked on then the team has to leave the ball and allow the other team to take possession. If they dont its a penalty. Stops a player knocking on and dropping on it to kill play. So we wait for a scrum.

Forward passes are still a scrum.
....seeing as the OP only post 4 times nearly a decade ago....im not sure you're going to get a reply....

....seeing as the OP only post 4 times nearly a decade ago....im not sure you're going to get a reply....
Didnt even realise this haha. It just popped up on similar threads tab at the bottom and i assumed it was new as well, maybe heard it on the same podcast i did....oh well

I'm not surprised the person on the OP didn't stick around … I mean the first few responses they got were not exactly welcoming …

I'm not surprised the person on the OP didn't stick around … I mean the first few responses they got were not exactly welcoming …
not sure what they were hoping for, coming on a rugby forum and one of the first things is to critique rugby

Fair … the first response was pretty brutal mind you …

Latest posts