• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Do Scotland need an overhaul of coaches?

Highland Shaun

Academy Player
I am really worried about Scotland at the moment and really fear for them at World Cup and tbh, can't understand what has gone wrong since Autumn Tests when we showed a lot of promise.

Vern Cotter is only new to post so I say give him possibly another 6N and if things haven't improved drastically, question his position (now that doesn't mean sack him) but for the moment, maybe he should have a clearout of current coaches (Cuttita, Humphreys and Hodge) and bring in his own coaching staff.

Only question is, who would he replace these coaches with and would that make a difference?

I am not in favour of the give head coach 2yrs in job and sack them after 2nd yr because it doesn't work so Vern needs at least 3/4yrs in job.

Discuss?

The problem with Scotland is consistency throughout the game. They'll get point's in the first half and play well but in the second half start to switch off and give away the win. They could had have won all four games but not keeping it up in the second half costs them the game.

Vern Cotter can only deal with what he has. Frankly the Scottish youth development and club system is too limited and poorly set up. That isn't Cotters fault and he can only deal with what players he has. I think the problems with Scotland run deeper than the management, the entire development system from youth to senior and clubs needs an overhaul.

I only think that Vern should get some help with Gregor Townsend but thats about it

Sacking his coaches wont make the players at his disposal good enough to compete.

Sacking his coaches wont make the players at his disposal good enough to compete.

So what will then because I am getting sick fed up of all these poor performances/results!?

Being tagged "Brave/Valiant losers" is getting boring too and won't wash with me!

So what will then because I am getting sick fed up of all these poor performances/results!?

Being tagged "Brave/Valiant losers" is getting boring too and won't wash with me!

1) Get a **** tonne of money.
2) Plough it into coaching at schools and club level. Also give the regional sides enough funding so as to keep the best Scottish players within the country and attract a higher quality of import. Good pro sides = more interest = more players eventually.
3) Wait about 15 years.

That's what it's going to take.

Tbh, I am really worried about Ireland game and to see who is picked player wise, does Vern stick with players he has used or does he freshen things up.

Anyway, after that VC and co need to fathom out what has gone wrong and work on these before the World Cup because we have shown in glimpses that we CAN play good Rugby.

It is really, really worrying that we went from a very good Autumn series to this and SHOULD NOT settle or be happy with being tagged "valiant/brave losers"!!

Having two professional clubs in Scotland doesn't aid the national team. Scotland could do with another professional side to help allow develop talent. Scotland possess some good players but there are areas in the side where they don't have the quality. Patience will be the key, the players will come good but it will take time.

Latest posts