• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Doing the Haka

C

cranemovieco

On our page for the rugby movie thats coming out in a few months we have a scene of the players doing the Haka. I've gotten so many comments about how its disrespectful to do the Haka and have had others feel its no big thing and just as much as a part of rugby as getting bloody. I just want to know what your opinion is! Some people are very very intense about the Haka and just think we should put the argument to bed.

All Blacks
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/9Zvs4T4RU30&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/9Zvs4T4RU30&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

In Edmond (Oklahoma), where my university is based, there is a new High School Club formed by a couple of Kiwis. I've had the fortunate opportunity to help out some and get to know the coaches and the players. They perform the Haka. There are two kiwis (not the coaches) on the team of some Maori descent that lead. It's well done, and has really motivated and captured the attention of the kids and their parents. From that aspect I think it's great.
On the other hand I notice that the other teams don't take it that seriously and sort of laugh a bit. So, it's sort of a 50/50 thing in my opinion.
Having said all this, I'm not from NZ or Maori. However I feel it's ingrained in Rugby lore, and wherever you find a Kiwi, you more likely than not will find a Haka.

You will never, though, see me introducing it to my team. We're almost all of Western European heritage with at least 5 of us being Irish-Americans.

So, if we ever do face the haka, I'll march up on it like Ireland do at the end of this youtube clip:
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/tlSXmVLHGSA&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/tlSXmVLHGSA&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

its just disrespectful - surely there must be intellectual property relating to it?

It is a bit disrespectful but I like the fact that they would even consider wanting to do Haka. So for me it's alright because something that my ancestor created is now world famous.

Yeah your suppose to ask permission but for me personally I think the more people that spread it the better for our culture.

What I find rather lame is that the guy on your link (rugbymovie.com) has maori tattoos on his arms.

Yeah everyones getting those moko on their arms its like a trend to get them now instead of something that was earned.

Yeah everyones getting those moko on their arms its like a trend to get them now instead of something that was earned. [/b]
How do you earn them? Do I have to kill someone?

<div class='quotemain'> Yeah everyones getting those moko on their arms its like a trend to get them now instead of something that was earned. [/b]
How do you earn them? Do I have to kill someone?
[/b][/quote] Yep that's how some of our ancestors had to earn them back in the days but nowadays you obviously can't do that. I kinda hate it even how Maori themselves just go to a shop or a mate who uses electric needles to get theirs done I think it should be done properly using traditional ways like how the islanders do it.

Yeah but everything moves on. Electric needles instead of bone, widescreen for the haka instead of just the crowd.

It used to be a more personal thing but now is more staged and theatrical, that said I still love it and never miss the start of an AB's game.

I always saw the Haka as a bit of an Unfair advantage, its all a part of this lore surrounding the All Blacks, they are something special. Its kind of plastered in your face from day one, if every team did a crazy dance before the start it would make no difference, how come only 4 of them are allowed.

Like it gets the crowd going, I don't think it scares the opposition but it gets your team a little psyched up, it gives you the last laugh before the match. You make the other team stand there and watch. In my opinion any way to make the other team stand silent for 30-40 seconds before a game is an advantage because....

A: In a practical sense they aren't moving they are getting cold, don't underestimate that.
B: Psychologically everyone who has played a match know that if your nervous all you want to do is get started, not sit watching your opponent dance.

Don't get me wrong it's a part of rugby now and the crowd love it, but it is a little bit unfair. I think it would be awesome if Ireland did some sort of celtic war dance, but if they tried to introduce it now it wouldn't be taken seriously.

it gives you the last laugh before the match. [/b]

Aye, you tell that to Chabal then after he stared down the Haka during the World-Cup quarter-final and see what he thinks. ;)

<div class='quotemain'>
it gives you the last laugh before the match. [/b]

Aye, you tell that to Chabal then after he stared down the Haka during the World-Cup quarter-final and see what he thinks. ;)
[/b][/quote]

Yeah he stared it down, and yeah New Zealand lost, but tbh I think it gives the Kiwi's a further Psychological boost. Tbh against the haka I would prefer to have a haka..

See, there's a smart man!

I agree 100%! Why should the All Blacks get an advantage before a game, whereas almost all of the other teams don't?

See, there's a smart man!

I agree 100%! Why should the All Blacks get an advantage before a game, whereas almost all of the other teams don't?
[/b]

Its not just the All Blacks, alot of the NZ national teams are doing it now, some of them are better at doing it than others. Thats why the AB's developed their new one, to remain unique. I think that the All Blacks should do it for home test matches and leave it at that. Although I don't believe that it gives them an unfair advantage, it depends how the other team responds. See the way that some of them link arms and advance on the haka, to me it hardens thier resolve. Taking on the All Blacks is not easy and facing the haka is part of it.

Jesus, HTFU, it's a bloody dance before the game, do you own little dance if you want, or maybe play rugby and beat them in a game...whinging about the Haka is just trying to cover for your own teams ineptitude when you constantly get beaten by the All Blacks....the Wallabies, the Springboks and more recently the French didn't have a problem with the Haka because they know if they play good rugby they can beat the All Blacks, perhaps the other teams just don't have it in them in playing skill?

Jesus, HTFU, it's a bloody dance before the game, do you own little dance if you want, or maybe play rugby and beat them in a game...whinging about the Haka is just trying to cover for your own teams ineptitude when you constantly get beaten by the All Blacks....the Wallabies, the Springboks and more recently the French didn't have a problem with the Haka because they know if they play good rugby they can beat the All Blacks, perhaps the other teams just don't have it in them in playing skill?
[/b]

I was discussing for the sake of it, am I to feel now though, that you believe the Haka does nothing at all and is just a formality before a match similar to a national anthem. You see I would disagree whole heartily. Your Kiwi and obviously don't like to think of it as an unfair advantage, but surely you believe yourself it does something. Are you actually telling me that if you started for New Zealand and went out and did the Haka for the first time, you would just do a bit of a dance and get down to business. The Haka undeniably does something for the mental strength of the players.

I would go further btw, I would say a team that takes there national anthem seriously and sings with a bit of passion gets an edge. Italy boomed out there anthem against Scotland in 2007 and scored 3 tries in 7 minutes away from home. Scotland on the other hand barely raised their voices, now its not there fault, heroic lyrics aside "Flower of Scotland" doesn't sound great, but I would say it helped the Italians. In the 2008 6n match Ireland v France in Stade, instead of a band the French employed singers to sing the athems instead of play them. With no music the anthems sounded appalling, everyone was out of time, both teams went out and played shocking for the first 20.

These pre-match formalities do mean something, there are others too. In 2002 England were playing Ireland in Dublin. As the teams go out traditionally Ireland stand on the right and the away team on the left. Well England ran out first lead by Johnson, who decided he was standing on the right, maybe he didn't know. Ireland ran out and decided instead of standing on the left they would stand further to the right, off centre. Now before an Ireland game the President of our country (that is the equivalent of the queen for all you English, Scottish, Welsh, Australians, New Zealanders, Canadians or indeed two million Irish that live in the North on this forum) shakes all the players hands, and the red carpet is laid out in order to allow her to do this, Ireland were obviously not on this carpet and that was the controversy. Still Johnson refused to move. In a way he took a stand right at the start and set out his stall, he was doing things his way. England won that Grandslam decider, the last time they beat Ireland for 5 years.

If you disagree fair enough, but I would say most don't.

I'm Maori and I know that Haka gets your adrenaline pumping, so in a way I guess it could be an unfair anvantage. The thing is thou, it's not like it'll last the whole 80min. I know when I perform Haka I get really amped up and feel like I could do anything.

It depends thou because with the All Blacks you can see some get really pumped while others are just there for the formalities. So once the game starts some players adrenalines going crazy while others have probably calmed down by then.

Haka takes alot out of you if your doing it from within and not just there for the joyride. I reckon it gets the blood pumping but also takes alot of energy to perform so in a way isn't an advantage depending on how you look at it.

Latest posts