TRF_Cymro

Cymro The White
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Wales
Club or Nation
Barbarians
4295.2.jpg

Stephen Donald's proposed move to Aviva Premiership side Bath has collapsed after the Kiwi playmaker failed to secure a work permit.

The 27-year-old All Blacks international had been expected to make the switch from the Chiefs to England later this year after agreeing terms with the West Country giants but after hitting a stumbling block he has committed to the Blues for next year's Super Rugby campaign.

http://www.espnscrum.com/super-rugby-2011/rugby/story/144092.html

Ay?
Didn't see that coming!
As if you have to have started an ABs test to get a work permit, I'm sure there's players that have neither of those conditions who have moved here :S

Wonder if Henson will end up at Bath now (though I reckon it'll be Wasps)

Last edited:
Hmmm not sure what to make of this...

We need to get someone in fast... I really hope it isn't Henson

Canes could have done with him. This does mean that Barrett would be a fool to go to the Blues.

The Sunday Star Times reports that work permits are granted to those New Zealand players who have UK ancestry or alternatively have started a Test for the All Blacks in the past 18 months. But none of Donald's grandparents were born in the UK and his three international appearances in the required timeframe have come off the bench.

WTF???

Riki Flutey has no UK ancestry whatsoever, and has never played for the All Blacks.

Sounds a bit strange to me, but great news for the Blues (as long as it is confirmed he is going there)!

I was hoping that Gareth Anscombe was gonna' lead the Blues ship next season.

Wonderful news for Bath. Reasonable news for Blues (at least an improvement on Brett).

Is he serious, he wants to leave as there is no chance he will wear the black jersey at all and now e moves to the Blues.
Playing for Auckland and Canterbury is something completely different than playing for he Chiefs. I hope he can adapt to their game play.

I was hoping that Gareth Anscombe was gonna' lead the Blues ship next season.

Anscombe is a good young player, but that doesn't mean he is capable of running a Super Rugby team. A number of young NZ first-fives have dominated at the Under 20 tournament, but few have been able to instantly step up to Super Rugby. I'm sure Anscombe will do a good job backing up Donald at the Blues next year.

Andy Dalton (Blues CEO) said today he hadn't heard about it, and I haven't seen a confirmation from either then Blues or Donald, so I'd take this with a grain of salt currently...

Andy Dalton (Blues CEO) said today he hadn't heard about it, and I haven't seen a confirmation from either then Blues or Donald, so I'd take this with a grain of salt currently...

Yep!

http://tvnz.co.nz/rugby-news/blues-deny-signing-stephen-donald-4307933

Soooo... where did the story come from?

First I heard about it was on RadioSport at about 7am today, and confirmed in this article....

http://www.rugbyweek.com/news/article.asp?id=31187

....an hour or so later.

This doesn't suprise me at all. It had been confirmed in the UK but not in NZ. Something wasn't right, the last game of the season wasn't a "fairewell" game for donald even though they had made a big deal about the fact Aled, Sivivatu and Sweeney were leaving there was no comment from Donald or the chiefs on where he would be next season.

I think even though a section of the NZ public hate Donald he still wants to play in NZ and he still has a lot to offer. But the apointment of Renee as Coach of the chiefs pretty much meant that Donald was going to have to find a new team.

As far as him going to the blues it makes sense. Gareth Anscombe is a great young tallent but it will be a big ask for him to run the ship of NZ's most important super franchise at ~20 years of age and no super rugby experience. Either way you need more than one 1st five in a game day 22. And I think it would be a very good fit, I think Donald and Nonu get along well in the all blacks.

At least the Blues will have a 10 that can tackle... Two in fact Anscombe's sholder looks ok.

have to wait and see if that becomes a reality but where there is smoke there is fire. And that's a lot of smoke.

We will see, maybe he will just stick around in Hamilton.

Shame to see Donald leave the chiefs but he has no place there with Renee & Cruden there. I wouldn't be suprised if like Aled (and maybe others too), Donald had been told he wasn't needed.

Last edited by a moderator:
This doesn't suprise me at all. It had been confirmed in the UK but not in NZ. Something wasn't right, the last game of the season wasn't a "fairewell" game for donald even though they had made a big deal about the fact Aled, Sivivatu and Sweeney were leaving there was no comment from Donald or the chiefs on where he would be next season.

I think even though a section of the NZ public hate Donald he still wants to play in NZ and he still has a lot to offer. But the apointment of Renee as Coach of the chiefs pretty much meant that Donald was going to have to find a new team.

As far as him going to the blues it makes sense. Gareth Anscombe is a great young tallent but it will be a big ask for him to run the ship of NZ's most important super franchise at ~20 years of age and no super rugby experience. Either way you need more than one 1st five in a game day 22. And I think it would be a very good fit, I think Donald and Nonu get along well in the all blacks.

At least the Blues will have a 10 that can tackle... Two in fact Anscombe's sholder looks ok.

have to wait and see if that becomes a reality but where there is smoke there is fire. And that's a lot of smoke.

Shame to see Donald leave the chiefs but he has no place there with Renee & Cruden there. I wouldn't be suprised if like Aled (and maybe others too), Donald had been told he wasn't needed.

I hope the New Zealand public don't hate Donald. He has always done his best for the jersey and it is not his fault that he is not good enough for international football. Anyone would love to achieve what he has in rugby.

I hope the New Zealand public don't hate Donald. He has always done his best for the jersey and it is not his fault that he is not good enough for international football. Anyone would love to achieve what he has in rugby.

I don't think there is a large section of the public that hate him, or at least no more than those who hate SBW, Nonu, Ali Williams etc.

However, there are a large section who think he is a very good player at ITM Cup level, average to good at the Super Rugby level and a screaming liability at test level, especially when he is under pressure.

Anyone who has played 5/8 will tell you that it is relatively easy to shine at ITM Cup because you have time to execute. The higher the level, the less time you have, because the other players at that level are quicker, fitter, faster, stronger and more skilful; the cream of the crop.