• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Bath face prolonged wait for Donald

Ja not sure why Donald is getting grilled here? He's a great provincial/club flyhalf for sure, and probably the one of quickest in the world.

I think our NH posters have only been exposed to him at international level and understandable have been put off him.

But then again that's why he got grilled in NZ. He'd have a great S14 and then a shocker of a Test right afterwards. It kind of became a trend really.

In terms of speed, he's very quick. I'd have been happy if he tried a move to fullback.

Like Steve-o has said, while everyone in New Zealand didn't want him in the All Blacks frame, that doesn't mean we don't think he's a good player. He's just not a pressure player at international level, and didn't work well for the All Blacks.

I honestly wouldn't be suprised if he is hailed as a great 1st 5/8th in a few years of the premiership.

The problem with Steven Donald over the last few years is that his kicking game has been garbage, he always does aimless or pointless kicks

I'm just happy for Stephen, he's moving to another stage of his career with Bath ... and, he's moved on from being "that guy" (the Hong Kong test), to "that guy" (scoring the points in the RWC final) ... good luck, I say

The problem with Steven Donald over the last few years is that his kicking game has been garbage, he always does aimless or pointless kicks

Nah i wouldn't say that.. His goal kicking is great, and his tactical kicking is pretty damn good, its just a bit slow from hand to foot. He struggles in the all blacks environment with decision making as i will go over in a second, but his actual kicking game (as in the ability to execute the right option if he chooses it) is more than adequate for the top echelons of Super 14 or the premiership.

As far as raw skills and athleticism go he is one of the finest specimens in world rugby. His real problem is that he doesn't think fast enough and doesn't act fast enough. The All Blacks are all about spotting a hint of an opportunity and then everyone free-styling it and reading each other in an instant to capitalise, Donald just simply cant read and make plays at the capacity needed to play 10 for the All Blacks. You can see him realising and trying to keep up with the tempo set by instinctive players like Jane, Dagg, Weepu etc, but he tends to just panic when thinking and acting at that pace and that leads to the aimless kicks, poor pass timing and lost opportunities we see him make.

When he is able to set his own tempo, to control the game himself and execute a pre-decided game plan, he is very good. In the premiership, the style of play will be catered more towards his slower, more tactical style. He will also be able to bosh his way through the defensive line if he runs out of options like he does in provincial/club rugby, but cant at internationals. The presence of that bail out option that guarantees he passes the advantage line seems to calm him down and allow him to play with more confidence.

Just to clarify, its not a case of the premiership being a lower quality competition, its just that it suits Donald more. Its the same as how Cipriani was a better fit in Super rugby than up there.

But to be fair, the whole game over the last few years, going right back to 2007 RWC, has been infested with aimless kicking; what we used to call "aerial ping-pong". You can't hang that on Donald.

It didn't really change until last Super 14 season when the SANZAR referees took the initiative and decided they were going to make tacklers release before requiring the tackled player to place, pass, push or release the ball. Then the NH refs followed suit, and the game changed for the better.

Last edited:
I've always said that Donald would perform far better with another fly half outside him - like when he had Hill and Bruce/Lavea.

He'd probably suit being a second five more, to be honest. He played well in that position for the Chiefs.

Donald will be nowhere near the fastest flyhalf in the prem
What is with the assumption by SH (NZ...) members that Nick Evans is the only other bloody flyhalf in the Prem.?
Evans isn't even that quick.

I've always said that Donald would perform far better with another fly half outside him - like when he had Hill and Bruce/Lavea.
Should do well at Bath with Barkley outside him then - James did

Donald will be nowhere near the fastest flyhalf in the prem
What is with the assumption by SH (NZ...) members that Nick Evans is the only other bloody flyhalf in the Prem.?
Evans isn't even that quick.

Should do well at Bath with Barkley outside him then - James did

Evans was that quick, i guess he must have lost some pace. He played arguably his best football as a counter-attacking fullback for the Highlanders and came out onto the wing for the All Blacks quite often. Acceleration, pace and that AFL punt were his calling cards.

I think you may be suprised by Donald too if you don't think he will be 'anywhere near' the top of the league in terms of speed. He sure as hell was in New Zealand. Acceleration is a different matter, but for top end pace there are very few legitimate rivals.

Who do you think will prove faster from the premiership if you dont mind me asking? Flood? Lamb? Bowden? Goode..

Freddie Burns is up there, so is Rob Miller (he burnt Evans with ease a few rounds ago) and perhaps Rory Clegg
Toby Flood is no slouch, same with George Ford

Pace is naff all without the torque to get up there in the Premiership, e.g. HMS Banahan is actually quick but has the nickname for a reason.

Alex Goode is probably the fastest (probably why he's gone back to playing fullback). Burns, Clegg, Flood, Evans, Lamb, Myler, Ford, Bowden & Robinson are very quick. Andy Goode is surprisingly fast considering he's a fat knacker.

Pace is naff all without the torque to get up there in the Premiership, e.g. HMS Banahan is actually quick but has the nickname for a reason.

Alex Goode is probably the fastest (probably why he's gone back to playing fullback). Burns, Clegg, Flood, Evans, Lamb, Myler, Ford, Bowden & Robinson are very quick. Andy Goode is surprisingly fast considering he's a fat knacker.

Sharks thought he was quick enough for Super 14 last year.

In any case, he's definitely the fastest comb-over in world rugby!!
4.gif

This made me laugh. He's probably faster than any other fly-half in the Premiership, bar Evans.

...I should have explained it differently, I didn't mean up to speed in terms of pace but in terms of knowing how we play. This'll be very difficult since not even Bath know how to play in the winter, and something he needs to get used to is the miserable british weather (I know it can be miserable in NZ as well) day in day out - no running rugby here.

Once we've got Barkley fired up as well things should start coming good, as Olyy said when OB1 and Butch worked together it was truly excellent - tha said it was the result of a stupid manoeuvre by Butch that broke OB1s leg. Lets just hope Steveo can provide some of the magic of Butch with proper tackles and be mmore reliablle.

Latest posts