TRF_Cymro

Cymro The White
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Wales
Club or Nation
Barbarians
16127.2.jpg

Newport Gwent Dragons have announced the release of eight players from their squad for next season.
Martyn Thomas, Tom Riley, James Leadbeater, Rhys Buckley, Gethin Robinson, Royce Cadman, Rhys Jenkins and Hugo Ellis will not be offered new contracts. Thomas is the highest-profile depature - the 24-year-old fullback was on the fringes of the Wales squad a few years ago before suffering a shocking leg break.​

So he's definitely off to Leicester then?

Martyn was offered a contract but turned it down.
So much for loyalty after his injuries.

The rest aren't really first team losses, but I always thought Leadbeater was decent. Much better than Joe Bedford or Wayne Evans. Jonathan Evans is the future.
Riley has had his moments, but I think we are banking on Dixon coming through. Shingler would be a good signing now...
So we are looking at this now:
WilliamsN, BurnsL/ParryS, BuckN, JonesA, SidoliR, LydiateD, EvansL, FaletauT; EvansW/EvansJ, JonesS/RoblingL, ChavhangaT, SmithA/RoblingL, Hughes/LeachP, HarriesW, No bloody clue, possibly Steff or Hallam.

Shame about Martyn Thomas, big fan of his, although I think even the Dragons could take or leave the others.

And drags, surely go Hughes to wing and Harries to fullback? He's beginning to look sharp again, hopefully he can continue to gain form.

Harries isn't a fullback. He does lovely little runs from deep, but doesn't have the positioning or defence for a fullback. He could certainly develop it, but I still see him as the next Welsh 14. Improbable I know, but I can dream.
I was hoping that Geraint O'Driscoll would show a bit more at regional level, but he seems to be at his best in the prem.

Martyn was offered a contract but turned it down.
So much for loyalty after his injuries.

The rest aren't really first team losses, but I always thought Leadbeater was decent. Much better than Joe Bedford or Wayne Evans. Jonathan Evans is the future.
Riley has had his moments, but I think we are banking on Dixon coming through. Shingler would be a good signing now...
So we are looking at this now:
WilliamsN, BurnsL/ParryS, BuckN, JonesA, SidoliR, LydiateD, EvansL, FaletauT; EvansW/EvansJ, JonesS/RoblingL, ChavhangaT, SmithA/RoblingL, Hughes/LeachP, HarriesW, No bloody clue, possibly Steff or Hallam.

don't blame him leaving, the Dragons are going to be crap next year and they weren't good in the first place, lost several important players and I don't think they're going to replace them with anybody as good

apart from Thomas and also Riley, you could be forgiven for forgetting those players were even in the squad

I looked up Gethin Robinson, and found he is 29 and has started 13 matches in 8 years at the Dragons, why has the Dragons been paying him for so long when he has spent so much time in the stands? just one sub appearance in the last two seasons as well

also didn't Hugo Ellis talk about hoping to make the Wales squad when arriving from Wasps? he has been totally underwhelming and struggled to even make the matchday 22, even when Lydiate and Faletau are away, Tom Brown looks better to me

So he's definitely off to Leicester then?

looks like it, and Daniel Evans should be brought into replace him as well

Harries isn't a fullback. He does lovely little runs from deep, but doesn't have the positioning or defence for a fullback. He could certainly develop it, but I still see him as the next Welsh 14. Improbable I know, but I can dream.
I was hoping that Geraint O'Driscoll would show a bit more at regional level, but he seems to be at his best in the prem.

I agree about Harries, he's a winger, but Darren Edwards doesn't agree I'm afraid

Forgot about Daniel Evans. Very good in 2009/10.
Edwards is a weak coach, and the NGD board really need to do something. We need some financial backing, either get Hazell to give us more dosh or move on. I was hoping for a bit more from Brown and Matthews in all honesty.

Do you really think anyone is going to invest in Welsh rugby at the moment?...

This situation is appalling for the Dragons, and the other Welsh regions. I know these are not exactly high-profile departures, but its not the point. How do the regions expect to draw large crowds, when they are fielding semi-professional standard players, producing poor quality rugby. The supporters work hard for their money, and want to see good players and good rugby. I remember at the Blues in 03'ish, every game they played players who were firemen amateur players, Americans, and Namibians. No disrespect to the latters, but they are hardly great rugby nationalities as opposed to the Kiwi's, Aussies and Saffers and as expected we got pumped pretty much all the time. Of course the low being Biarritz, but im not sure if that was the year before.

Having said that despite being a Blues supporter, i respect, and like the Dragons very much for what they are doing in terms of developing Welsh talent. Out of all the regions they are more deserved of getting top players, and achieving success in the future.

Latest posts