• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Wales Training Squad

Jbobo

Bench Player
Country Flag
Wales
Backs: Gareth Davies (Scarlets), Mike Phillips (Racing Metro), Rhys Webb (Ospreys), Lloyd Williams (Cardiff Blues), Gareth Anscombe (Cardiff Blues), Dan Biggar (Ospreys), James Hook (Gloucester Rugby), Matthew Morgan (Bristol Rugby), Rhys Patchell (Cardiff Blues), Rhys Priestland (Scarlets), Cory Allen (Cardiff Blues), Jack Dixon (Newport Gwent Dragons), Tyler Morgan (Newport Gwent Dragons), Jamie Roberts (Racing Metro), Scott Williams (Scarlets), Hallam Amos (Newport Gwent Dragons), Alex Cuthbert (Cardiff Blues), Leigh Halfpenny (Toulon), Tom James (Exeter Chiefs), George North (Northampton Saints), Eli Walker (Ospreys), Liam Williams (Scarlets).

Forwards: Rob Evans (Scarlets), Tomas Francis (Exeter Chiefs), Paul James (Bath Rugby), Aaron Jarvis (Ospreys), Gethin Jenkins (Cardiff Blues), Rhodri Jones (Scarlets), Samson Lee (Scarlets), Nicky Smith (Ospreys), Scott Baldwin (Ospreys), Kristian Dacey (Cardiff Blues), Richard Hibbard (Gloucester Rugby), Ken Owens (Scarlets), Jake Ball (Scarlets), Luke Charteris (Racing Metro), Dominic Day (Bath Rugby), Bradley Davies (Wasps), Alun Wyn Jones (Ospreys), Rory Thornton (Ospreys), Dan Baker (Ospreys), Taulupe Faletau (Newport Gwent Dragons), James King (Ospreys), Dan Lydiate (Ospreys), Ross Moriarty (Gloucester Rugby), Justin Tipuric (Ospreys), Sam Warburton (CAPT - Cardiff Blues).

It also looks like all our players playing in the English premiership will be released from this week, as agreed with world rugby. I'm not sure what the agreement was, or have to assume money, but good on them for having common sense now that the club season is over.

Last edited:
I think Ben John and John Navidi are the only ones I am a little surprised at missing out. Looking forward to seeing what Moriarty is made of.

Man how many players are Wales going to steal off England ?!? Francis and Moriarty this time .....

I think Ben John and John Navidi are the only ones I am a little surprised at missing out. Looking forward to seeing what Moriarty is made of.

Agreed. Ben john has had a fantastic end to the season. As duck said, I would have gone with another centre.

6 fly halves in the squad looks a bit excessive. I would have put an extra centre in there instead.

Yeah I was surprised at that, seems like a big problem waiting to happen, which could easily have been prevented. Fingers crossed for no injuries then! Hook will get a good run out anyway.

There's a few surprise exclusions, but some nice inclusions as well. Good to see Lloyd Williams get a shot, he's been in good form this season, one of the rare bright sparks in a poor Cardiff team. Navidi is a surprise exclusion, I'd probably have picked him over king.
Good to see Tom James back too, he's been good his season from what I've seen. Although he was always prone to a gaff and I'm not sure he can pass still?

Man how many players are Wales going to steal off England ?!? Francis and Moriarty this time .....

Moriarty's dad was a Wales intl, and his uncle captained us to our best ever RWC finish. He's got welsh rugby running hard through his veins. You just borrowed him ;)

Well we let you have Morgan and both Vunipola's ;)

You can't claim both vunipolas ! Haha we can only just claim them and the fact Morgan played for Scarlett's doesn't count Moriarty probably saw the rise of Itoje and thought bugger that I'm better off playing for Wales

Moriarty's dad was a Wales intl, and his uncle captained us to our best ever RWC finish. He's got welsh rugby running hard through his veins. You just borrowed him ;)

At least he's won a World Cup . Will probably be his last ....

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyway, if you want to not ruin the thread? I mean, if you were a Welshman and this was an England thread you'd have 5 or 6 people gang riding your arse right now. Leave it be

Anyway, if you want to not ruin the thread? I mean, if you were a Welshman and this was an England thread you'd have 5 or 6 people gang riding your arse right now. Leave it be

Nah you were being a plonker in the other thread that's why GN10 got on your case . I was just having a bit of fun . I'll leave the thread now . Speak soon

Mostly sensible squad. A few surprise inclusions, such as Tom James, Cory Allen (hasn't played for a while), Thornton & Day (can understand both though), Matthew Morgan & Dixon. Some surprise omissions as well in Navidi, Turnbull, Aaron Shingler, James Davies, Ben John, Dan Evans & one of Rhodri Jones, Aled Davies or Jonathan Evans.

I think it shows how much our strength in depth has developed in recent years, that there are some decent players who have missed out on a place in such a big squad. Obviously nowhere neer the depth England and NZ have, but it's close to adequate given the small size of a WC squad.

There's a healthy amount of young players who look to have big futures I haven't mentioned here as well.

I'm wondering if securing Thomas Francis' services could prove crucial. He's far from the finished article, but his scrummaging looks top notch, and that's just what we need with Lee struggling to be fit in time.

Francis looks to be a good player . Only thing that catches my eye is he looks to be fairly unfit . I wonder if losing weight to try to keep up with the demand of international/top class rugby may affect his scrummaging . Either way looks a very handy player

I think it shows how much our strength in depth has developed in recent years, that there are some decent players who have missed out on a place in such a big squad. Obviously nowhere neer the depth England and NZ have, but it's close to adequate given the small size of a WC squad.

There's a healthy amount of young players who look to have big futures I haven't mentioned here as well.

McBride thinks so too. http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/32967217 And i agree. I think the depth we have is better than i remember, but i still think there is a steep drop in quality from 1st-2nd-3rd choice in most positions, but i'm glad to see that it looks like we can hopefully handle the inevitable (size unknown) injury crisis we will face.

Agree re Francis. Much needed cover for Lee, espeically at scum time as Jarvis couldn't push a bicycle if he tried.

Mostly sensible squad. A few surprise inclusions, such as Tom James, Cory Allen (hasn't played for a while), Thornton & Day (can understand both though), Matthew Morgan & Dixon. Some surprise omissions as well in Navidi, Turnbull, Aaron Shingler, James Davies, Ben John, Dan Evans & one of Rhodri Jones, Aled Davies or Jonathan Evans.

I'm wondering if securing Thomas Francis' services could prove crucial. He's far from the finished article, but his scrummaging looks top notch, and that's just what we need with Lee struggling to be fit in time.

Rhodri Jones? He's there. Rhodri Williams? Don't think he is much of a loss to be fair.

Rhodri Jones? He's there. Rhodri Williams? Don't think he is much of a loss to be fair.

Oos, yeah. No, wouldn't have selected Rhodri Williams either, but I would have expected one more scrum half given the size of the squad, and he would have been in contention then.

Doesn't really matter, as the extra scrum half would have been cut regardless.

So do we think the first XV are almost set in stone, or will the management change their style of going with tried and tested? I think if there are no more injuries, and Lee gets fit then there will be just one spot up for grabs and that is hooker. I hope Williams plays full back with 1/2p on the wing but I dont think they will change it. The only other possibility is Chuthbert back on wing and North at 13. I hope not though.

1 Gethin Jenkins
2 Scott Baldwin/Richard Hibbard
3 Samson Lee
4 Luke Charteris
5 Alun Wyn Jones
6 Dan Lydiate
7 Sam Warburton
8 Taulupe Faletau

15 Leigh Halfpenny
14 George North
13 Scott Williams
12 Jamie Roberts
11 Liam Williams
10 Dan Biggar
9 Rhys Webb

I think Ken Owens will start. I think he's the most effective ball carrying and throwing hooker of the three. Hibbard then offers more impact off the bench than Baldwin.

I'm still not sure about Lyds at 6 either. He's 50/50 with King at the O's at the moment, and I think some players have worked out that he sets himself for a tackle early, and with quick feet they can get around him. I still think that playing Warbs and Tips offers us so much more in attack, and we don't lose much in defence. I don't think Gats will agree though, and we'll see Tips used as an impact sub, coming on for Lydiate around the hour mark. This doesn't leave a bench spot open for Baker though, who I think could offer a big impact from 8 in the closing stages.

North will likely cover centre, so I think we'll see Cuthbert on the bench.

So a bench of:
16. Hibbard,
17. Paul James/Nicky Smith
18. Tomas Francis
19. Jake Ball
20. Justin Tipuric
21. Mike Phillips
22. Rhys Priestland
23. Alex Cuthbert

Interesting point about Lydiates early setting Dullonien...

Could his effectiveness be even further reduced if referees start to crack down further on players not wrapping in the tackle...?

Latest posts