• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Dream Team 2014

I find it so strange that so many SHers still think Hayman is the best 3 in the world.
I mean he's still good, but he's nowhere near as good now as he was even at Newcastle.

I hate nitpicking forum posts, but you leave me no choice. My stance is clear as the light of day, but alrighty then let's head into and get our hands dirty, ANSWERED IN BOULDH !!!!:

Okay, lets debate this. But what are you're actual stances? In your first paragraph you mention the topic is the balance of power between NH and SH but don't clarify your stance. Then you mention a draw against Argentina
I mention Argentina because whether or not they are SH themselves, that still contributes to the point that S.A. were very underwhelming that year, and is to be added to their very mediocre, lackluster year as they tied with young England at home, had a very mediocre TRC, and a downright worrying EOYT despite the 3 wins.

but that is beside the point as they are in the SH so too are NZ and Aus; the only teams we lost to that (rebuilding) year; 1/1 vs Aus and 0/2 NZ in 2012. You mention 2012 as a very poor year for Bok rugby but while it wasn't 2009 it ccertainly wasn't our worst and in the context of NH vs SH it was actually something of a bright point;
Whether they won or not really isn't a big point to be made. They were at full strength on a number of tests, and still looked easily beatable. They managed a 10-21 score in Murrayfield ffs, that's a win but if S.A. settle for that, c'mon. Let's not play around here stormer, 2012 was not flattering for the Boks. The All-Blacks put 50+ past them. Sorry for repeating this so often, but you unnecessarily force me too.

2012 for SA saw 6 games against NH opposition ending in 2 wins and a draw at home in the series against England and 3 wins on tour from a supposedly undeniably unimpressive SA. Where does that leave us?
refer to above comments. Again, as if results alone were all that mattered in pro sports, and as if that was a good year for S.A. Please man. Let's talk for real here.

Argentina can't be part of the discussion here, if England had a 6N under their belt then that is still 5 test games more than what SA had under new management. Saying something like a draw and 2 wins against an English side with 6 months on us and small margin wins over 'mediocre' Scottish, Irish and English sides would sound horridly arrogant from a SA poster and doesn't sound much better when not. What do we have to do then? Beat every one every game by 50? And remember that is the same English side that beat NZ in the same year just the very next week..
It matters not how things sound and who the interlocutor is. It matters that it's a fact England were very mediocre until they erupted later that tour to beat NZ in exploding fashion. They had a pretty bad showing against Australia, and had nothing to show for except dedication at the breakdown against the Boks. Not exactly great. And S.A. were at full strength, if not for Habana missing that tour. England at the beginning of the tour vs. Aus and S.A. has literally nothing to do with Eng vs NZ in that last match. Unrecognizable, and I think they felt so bad having such a bad tour they felt they had nothing to lose and would give it their all and found a confidence that match they never managed to get back and produced an incredibly lackluster, uttterly unimpressive 2013 6N, despite the wins, which ultimately are good, but not enough.

I'm going home now to miss the traffic but will get back here soon to finish my points..

I don't see why you're making me work so hard for this. It makes it sound like I'm dragging S.A. down and emphasizing it. Of course you focus just on what I said about the Boks lol, which is hopefully accepted and we can move on, and haven't commented on Australia:
in retrospect, they had a fairly quiet 2012 year, with their hosting Wales a success but let's not forget how Wales went from 2012 6N GS champs to an 8-game losing streak WRECK, and that's the tour that started it. They also lost to Scotland at home. In TRC, pretty quiet (remember the 22-0 vs NZ and getting smashed in S.A.). And then their EOYT was pretty mediocre themselves despite the 3 of 4. They get smashed in France 33-6, win in England, but then only beat Italy by a 19-22 and a prayer Italy would miss that final penalty, and then edge the slumping Welsh by 2 points. Early-mid 2013 is their worst period in decades.

So whether I use SH vs SH or more pertinently NH vs SH to illustrate my points, the topic is the balance of power betw NH and SH, and a look at the SH teams in particular in detail (not just the win/loss column) during that in-between-RWC between the end of 2011 and today. And I make the point that clearly the SH teams have had a bit of a slow start right after that 2011 RWC, and a rude awakening so to speak, and their dominant aura seemed quite dissipated from eras past. No, the records don't really show that, but again in the finer details of a game-per-game assessment, and I've watched every Tier 1 confrontation since that 2011 RWC, it's quite easy to see the gap had closed quite considerably during that span of say after the RWC til only recently, as all 3 of the SANZAR nations have replenished and look fearsome as ever going into this next RWC. With SA and AUS in particular looking menacing, and re-establishing this sort of 'natural order of things' in world Rugby, I feel.

I find it so strange that so many SHers still think Hayman is the best 3 in the world.
I mean he's still good, but he's nowhere near as good now as he was even at Newcastle.

Disagreed. SH maybe, but people in France added to that list. I dunno about best TH in the world, but he is the best TH in the Top 14, and the Top 14 has some pretty darn good ones. All fans on Rugbyrama voted for him as the best, including me, because in the Top14 with the importance of a good scrum, he has been an absolutely immovable boulder. Fukng impressive as fk. Scrummagers are rarely that unconditionally consistent, they have off days, packpedal a couple of times. This guy is...whew...but he's old and slow in the loose, for sure. So he can't be considering the best 3 in the world...And I really don't know who that is btw. I know TRF voted Figallo as the best TH, but he's been out so long, and who's to say he is objectively ?
With Mas going from the best to absolutely obsolete in a few months, Figallo out...I really don't know right now. Kepu ?! :lol:

There's no denying, unfortunately, there is still a bit of a gap.

But characterising the north as weak is potentially misleading because, it's only really South Africa and New Zealand where the gap exists. Australia on their day are sublime and have just tonked France, but in general they are still very much in the same ball-park as England Ireland and Wales.

Just taking England here:
We've beaten Oz in 3 out of the last 4 games:
A win against New Zealand and 3 results within 8 points:
South Africa; No airbrushing this, we've not beaten you guys for an awful long time. All I'd say, though, is that we've improved dramatically since we last met. So have you, granted. But our personnel are very very different now, so its not just the regime and the coaching, but the core squad too. Both teams were under new coaches when we last met, with yours being the newest; but our squad has been steadily overhauled for some time now, and the improvement has been exponential.
Don't get me wrong, South Africa are still the 2nd best side in the world, but: 3 out of the last 4 performances we put in against New Zealand, might have been enough to give us a chance of a win against you. A series win away from home? No, probably not. But a victory, very very possible.

But in any case, my point would be that it's not right to talk about a gaping hemipshere gap when ultimately we're only talking about 2 teams who are better than the others. Australia, Ireland, England and Wales are well matched now. And to make this a hemipshere issue is to forget the existence of the Pacific Islands and Argentina.
Long story short: No gap, just two very good sides.

I disagree with your post Henry although lots of it are true, I disagree with a few things and with your conclusion:

looking at how Australia beat the crap out of Ireland and Wales last EOYT, and how they were 4 of 5 overall with, (not my pleasure repeating this, but just factual) the England win having a very large asterisk over it, and not just the final results but how Aus did it. They totally outclassed Ireland on attack and resisted everything the latter could throw at them and showed just higher organization and way sharper execution. And then, the score may not show it but they absolutely tore Wales apart...in Cardiff. Remember, this is all on 6N European soil. Added to that how, yes France aren't France but still, they just were a caliber above France in 2/3 tests, & overall they're 7 wins in a row, which happens to be precisely against all Tier 1 nations in the NH.
I think it's safe to say Australia are above us NH sides and to be fair to England, I'd concede Eng is as good right now if I'm being nice, and Eng are maybe a tad below but just a tad if I'm going with my gut feeling. But the difference betw. these two specifically is def. not large.

Then yes, the SH is also Samoa, Tonga, Argentina...but those were never the subjects when ppl talk about NH vs SH, and how the SH are a class above.
I disagree with your conclusion: England are good right now, but they're just the one potential exception. All the rest of us up there don't measure up to NZ, SA or AUS's standards atm, and the results and latest performances from the end of 2013 til right now show it.
We CAN compete though. Even an absolutely dismantled, utterly directionless France could keep the Wallabies try-less in that 2nd test and have a 50 point turnaround to show for, while England resisted very well in those first 2 tests and Wales exploded with beautiful pride and proved something in their own right the other weekend. But ultimately in this past summer series alone, we're all 3-0 so far against the SANZAR nations, and very recently France, England and Wales all shipped about 40 points to those Big 3 while replying with very little in those respective matches.
I say the gap is right there, although it had narrowed dramatically for a brief moment during post-2011 til right about now. I say this mid-year tour marks the rise of the SH nations again.

1.Tendai Mtawarira 2.Dane Coles 3.Ben Franks 4. Eben Etzsebeth 5.Will Skelton 6.Francois Louw 7.Michael Hooper 8.Duane Vermeulen 9.Aaron Smith 10.Beauden Barrett 11.Julian Savea 12.Malakia Fekitoa 13.Ben Smith 14.Israel Folau 15.Willie le Roux.

This is just for a bit of fun, who would you play this season? :)

1. The Beast
2. Bismarck
3. O. Franks
4. Eben Etzabeth
5. Skelton (Just because, holy crap... he's massive.)
6. Kaino
7. Hooper (Really interested in seeing how Pocock is going to step up next year...)
8. Read
9. TJ Perenara (I'm not an A. Smith fan, unfortunately, he played awesome in the 3rd England test.)
10. Dan Carter (I'm going to give Dan the Man this position, I am very excited for the Hurricanes vs Crusaders match this weekend, he's put on some mass...)
11. Savea
12. Eastmond (I like him, I would like to see him as the consistent England #12, my issue is Lancaster not sticking to a person to play the position and have them get comfortable.)
13. Malakai Fekitoa (He had a bit of a "rush of blood" game in the 3rd test against England, would like to see him more.)
14. This is the only position I'm having a hard time at... Every other position is at least 3 people deep...
15. Uhhhhh... Israel...Smith? Ben Folau.

Last edited:
Loosehead prop: Ben Franks
Hooker: Bismarck du Plessis
Tighthead prop: Logovi'i Mulipola
Left lock: Will Skelton
Right lock: Bakkies Botha
Blindside flanker: Thierry Dusautoir
Opensideflanker: Mamuka Gorgodze
No. 8: Opeti Fonua
Scrum-half: TJ Perenara
Fly-half: Quade Cooper
Blindside wing: Julian Savea
Inside centre: Rene Ranger
Outside centre: Cheslin Kolbe
Openside wing: Alapati Leiua
Fullback: Israel Folau

Franks and Mulipola for their incredible powerful scrummaging and explosive strength.
Du Plessis for he excels in his position.
Botha and Skelton for their impressive raw power.
Dusautoir and Mamuka both have powerful tackling abilities.
Fonua's size says it all.
Perenara might not be the greatest but he definitely has the heart to play.
Cooper for his awesome tactics and he has great sidestepping skills too.
Savea for his unstoppable runs and he can break some big tackles.
Ranger also for his runs and tackle breaks. He tackles hard too.
Kolbe for his magic sidestepping skills.
Leiua again for his great runs and he's statistically the hardest man to tackle in Super Rugby.
Folau... I don't even have to say it do I?

Latest posts