• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Drop Wilkinson?

This England really needs Wilkinson, Cipriani is a good player, but is too young and he doesn't have a lot of international experience

We defintely still need wilko, he showed positive improvements against italy, but then started to drop his performance, he really needs quicker ball so we can see his rugby brain in play more.

England stills need J.Wilkinson, he's an exellent kicker, but the last match has proved that he's also a complete fly half.

Wilkinson is a living legend and will one day be recognized as one of if not THE best player ever...give him the respect he deserves please [/b]

Are you on drugs?

Wilkinson, great player though he has been at times, will never be remembered as the best player of all time. He has had patches of brilliance, but his consistent absences through injury and his ordinary form over the past several seasons (when he has been on the pitch) means he will basically have to turn into super man before the end of his career if he is going to be remember as the "greatest player of all time". At the moment I wouldn't put his career in the same frame as Larkham though...

<div class='quotemain'>

Wilkinson is a living legend and will one day be recognized as one of if not THE best player ever...give him the respect he deserves please [/b]

Are you on drugs?

Wilkinson, great player though he has been at times, will never be remembered as the best player of all time. He has had patches of brilliance, but his consistent absences through injury and his ordinary form over the past several seasons (when he has been on the pitch) means he will basically have to turn into super man before the end of his career if he is going to be remember as the "greatest player of all time". At the moment I wouldn't put his career in the same frame as Larkham though... [/b][/quote]

Yeah, I'd put Wilkinson on the same level as someone like the great Diego Dominguez: while not the best ever, a superb player who contributed much as a player and as an ambassodor to world Rugby and will be fondly rememered as such in the years to come.

But best player ever? Er...

The first thing i thought when i read the ***le drop wilkinson i thought from a great height please. :p

He is one of the few players that wouldnt raid a pie shop and eat the lot you cant just rely on your forward pack. :)

Wilko is not the best player ever, but prior to his injury years (post WC03) he was regarded as the best in the World at that time. But his climb back on board has not been easy, and he isn't the best anymore. But he is still playing....and who knows?

My preference pre-6N was that Wilko would be 10 with Cipriani 15.
This is the position he played last year for Wasps and would be ideal for him to watch Wilko infront from close range.

Dallaglios piece says pretty much the same thing:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE("BBC")</div>
Cipriani should start - Dallaglio

Lawrence Dallaglio says Wasps team-mate Danny Cipriani has the X factor and should be in England's starting XV - but not in place of Jonny Wilkinson.
The ex-England captain thinks Wilkinson is approaching something near his best again and believes fly-half Cipriani, 20, should replace Ian Balshaw.

"I would play Cipriani at full-back," Dallaglio told BBC Radio 5 Live.

"He has a huge amount to offer - he has got that X-factor - and his form is a little bit better than Balshaw's."

Dallaglio also believes Cipriani would benefit from learning the international game in a position that is not so exposed as stand-off.

"The responsibility of playing 10 is a huge one," said the 35-year-old forward. "To throw someone like Danny in there and say 'run the show' and expect him to be better than Jonny is a big ask.

"What Danny needs is an introduction to international rugby, to find the pace of the game and find his feet.

"Maybe that could be better served done at 15, where you get a chance to read and understand the game.

"It's what we did (at Wasps). We introduced him at 15, he played a season for us there and played in the Heineken Cup final at full-back.

"He went on to become the number 10. I think that would be a good way to introduce him into the England team."

Dallaglio also feels Cipriani, who made his England debut as a replacement for Mike Tindall against Wales earlier in February, would benefit from playing in the same team as Wilkinson.

"Danny is learning every week," he added. "What better way to do that than play alongside someone like Wilkinson."

[/b]

There are four players who could potentially play fullback, Cipriani, Balshaw, Tait or Cueto. Ashton needs to make his mind up soon on who his first choice full back will be soon. Wilko should remain first choice stand off simply because he is the best available.

There are four players who could potentially play fullback, Cipriani, Balshaw, Tait or Cueto. Ashton needs to make his mind up soon on who his first choice full back will be soon. Wilko should remain first choice stand off simply because he is the best available. [/b]

I think England still need Wilko, but they have to prepare the after-Wilko era. That is why I reckon they should give more and more time to Cipriani, having him play first against the weakest teams, and let's say 25 minutes against the other teams. That is what the french coaches are trying to do with Skrela/TrinhDuc, and although we will lose some games because of the lack of experience, it will pay off in the long term.

I see quite an obvious reason why Wilko is still the best possible choice for England even though he's not the best in the world anymore : his style of play fits perfectly with England's. I realized that during the two last games against France : two last minute drop-goals that litterally ceiled the match after a tremendous work by the pack. Plus his ability not to screw up under pressure, ie very few missed tackles and kicks when they really matter.

Definitely in the top 5 best #10 in history.

i think that wilkinson is a legendary player , his kicking game is a litle bit less than perfect , he can win matches for if only , and he is a smart player that can read the defences , and if he cant pass they, he simply kicks drop goals and penaltys, and if that was small , he is a great tackler in defence. A kind of player like that you cant simple drop it ,because that players appears once in 20 years . Cipriani is a good player too, but he has to learn and mature is game, Cipriani is very young , he will have a great future , but Wilkinson is not a old man , he is young too, he has 29 and has not touched roof even , i think that Wilkinson have at least 2 years more with the england jersey. :champion: :champion:

PS: Sorry for my limited english

i think that wilkinson is a legendary player , his kicking game is a litle bit less than perfect , he can win matches for if only , and he is a smart player that can read the defences , and if he cant pass they, he simply kicks drop goals and penaltys, and if that was small , he is a great tackler in defence. A kind of player like that you cant simple drop it ,because that players appears once in 20 years . Cipriani is a good player too, but he has to learn and mature is game, Cipriani is very young , he will have a great future , but Wilkinson is not a old man , he is young too, he has 29 and has not touched roof even , i think that Wilkinson have at least 2 years more with the england jersey. :champion: :champion:

PS: Sorry for my limited english [/b]

I kind of agree on the Age thing, Wilko has alot of potential playing years left. I wouldn't drop him on age grounds untill he starts to look too slow and weak. potentially he could have another 6 years left.

Never mind six years, within the next two it will clearly criminal to select him ahead of Lamb, Geherety, Flood or Cipriani.

By then, I even expect Stephen Myler to be so far ahead of him that inclusion would be another suicidal backwards step.

I've posted it elsewhere, one better game then any he's had in the past 4 1/2 years doesn't make him the best in the country. 2002 was a long time ago... Rugby has moved on, his game hasn't.

Never mind six years, within the next two it will clearly criminal to select him ahead of Lamb, Geherety, Flood or Cipriani.

By then, I even expect Stephen Myler to be so far ahead of him that inclusion would be another suicidal backwards step.

I've posted it elsewhere, one better game then any he's had in the past 4 1/2 years doesn't make him the best in the country. 2002 was a long time ago... Rugby has moved on, his game hasn't. [/b]

Currently i'd select him as 1st choice but would try to develop the players you mentioned. They have more potential and when they get their chances, if they take them then they can take the 1st choice spot, but there's always room for Johnny to improve too.

There are four players who could potentially play fullback, Cipriani, Balshaw, Tait or Cueto. Ashton needs to make his mind up soon on who his first choice full back will be soon. Wilko should remain first choice stand off simply because he is the best available.
[/b]

England are definately paying for not creating depth enough in the world cup

Here's something else for you to consider... Wilkinsons only strength is a penalty taker - What use will he be when the <strike>Australian Rugbny League laws</strike> ELVs are introduced?

He can't run, he can't tackle safely and he can't distribute.

He can't run, no.. but his passing is good and what the hell's wrong with his tackling. I don't see how any of the ELVs are going to affect him. And, only penalty kicks?.... record drop goal scorer in international rugby..?

And what about Lewsey for full-back?

Wilkinson cannot tackle legally, or at least when he does it's by accident. As for how tyhe ELVs will affect him, he won't get penalties anymore to kick over the posts, only free kicks. As he cannot set a backline moving for love nor money, any team with him pulling the strings will be buggered when he punts the ball down the throat of opposition backs as the long range 22 touchfinders will also be all but non existant.

Recalling Lewseys though? You're serious?

I think Lewsey is a good idea. However, Jonny should not be dropped as he is the only one at the moment that could even consider keeping the line in order, and help provide some width. Also his tackling is excellent, he's always the one who makes the effort to get back

Well I see that he won't kick as many penalties.. but you can do other stuff with free kicks (maybe not involving him).

And what's wrong with Lewsey, he's been on good form (I hear).

Better form than Balshaw anyway :p

The age thing is also a point - I think age is such a cop out - as long as you're still playing well then what is age - Michael Schumacher was "getting too old" for some people but look at what he's been doing in testing recently lol. I think Wilko has many years left.

Latest posts