• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Dwayne Chambers for Castleford?

R

RC

Ok, so Dwayne is in a sport where they refuse to give him a second chance, so after dipping his feet into American Football he wants to try out RL.

Link.

Thoughts?

The questions is: does he have the necessary skills?

I've seen plenty of lightening fast runners that just don't have that quality of being able to run with the ball in a talented manner. Does that make sense?

I suppose he did get that brief stint at playing Gridiron so obviously he has something there.

We'll just have to wait and see.

Yeah, it seems nobody actually knows how well he did at american football, but surely he can't be that bad if people are prepared to have talks with him.
I'm not sure it's entirely accurate that Chambers will get munched. I mean, like Melon said, We'll have to wait and see.

He only played in NFL Europa for the Hamburg Sea Devils.

According to the coach Jack Bicknell, "Chambers has not only excellent speed, but also safe hands."

But can he defend? Doubt it.

Of course he won't get muched - he's stacked full of steriods!

Don't see it working myself though, one of the reasons being that the guy doesn't have two brain cells to rub together. Also agree with the general comment about people able to run fast but little else. Had a guy like that when I was at school. He was a really promising sprinter doing sub-11 second times, so the coach persuaded him to have a go at rugby. Played on the wing and was a real menace when he got the ball in hand. Unfortunately the number of balls passed to him that he actually caught didn't make his blistering pace worth the effort.

I can see there being similar problems with Chambers somehow.

I wonder how long until the RFU and Saracens offer him a £200,000 per year deal to switch to Union and play for England...

Castleford have nothing to lose, bottom of the table with the smallest squad in the super league. It will get them some much needed publicity and more fans. I am a big Chambers fan so i hope he stays in sprinting, but if he does move atleast he will be the fastest man in world rugby.

he'd prolly drop his nuts! lol I guess where his speed would be extremely handy

Chambers- 9.8

Chavanga 10.2

Habana 10.4

;) [/b]

That's all well and good, but will he have the pace and stamana to run around for 40 minutes solid, especially after taking a crunching tackle or two and with a rugby ball in his hand?

<div class='quotemain'> Chambers- 9.8

Chavanga 10.2

Habana 10.4

;) [/b]

That's all well and good, but will he have the pace and stamana to run around for 40 minutes solid, especially after taking a crunching tackle or two and with a rugby ball in his hand?
[/b][/quote]

I wasnt being serious, if im honest i think his latest career idea is daft.

I cant really see Chambers playing, I mean he`s almost 30 and has never played either code. Its just publicity cos no-one could get up to speed with the game and skills starting at his age.

It's a (hysterical) publicity stunt. If Chambers plays in Super League he'll get humiliated, and I'll give you two reasons why:

1) He plays on the wing, and to do that you need to be good under the high ball and strong in defence. If he played and I was coaching a team against Cas my instructions would be simple - bomb it to his wing. I see a silhouetto if a circus jester.

2) He'll get targetted. If there's anything in RL that we hate, it's people who are too big for their boots or act differently from everyone else. Chambers is an arrogant tosser anyway, but he'll get the biff brought back on him, big style.

Chambers- 9.8

Chavanga 10.2

Habana 10.4

;) [/b]
You probably lose at least half a second if you don't use the blocks properly. In a track setting I'm not sure rugby lads would come anywhere close to a professional sprinter's timing on that one. Stick a pair of mud encrusted boots on Dwayne and see how he goes then.

I used to love Olympic sprints and all that - can't be arsed now. Anyone who runs sub 10 is "at it". The last clean gold was probably Alan Wells in 1980.

lol^

I just think if he does pursue this mediocrity idea, then defense would be his greatest weakness. Can't imagine him making making a tackle on the big fellas. Can't imagine him taking a high ball in defense too (so can't Vatuvei but ah).

I heard a brief clip of his interview today and i heard him admit that he doesn't know much about rugby league, and then he goes on to say (and i'm paraphrasing here, but he said something very similar to this), Instead of running forwards, I'll be required to run left and right as well.

Someone, please give the man a clue.

Latest posts