• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Ecuador to join CONSUR in 2011

Melhor Time

Bench Player
Ecuador Rugby Logo.jpg

http://rugbyworldcup-argentina2023.blogspot.com/2010/12/ecuador-to-join-consur-in-2011.html

The future of rugby in the Americas continues to look better and better with the news that South America's governing body - la Confederación Sudamericana de Rugby or simply CONSUR is set to grow to include Ecuador as an established member in 2011. This means that the Federación Ecuatoriana de Rugby - Ecuador Rugby Federation will be an associated member of CONSUR in an official capacity as of 2011. This is the first step in Ecuador becoming a full member of the IRB.

CONSUR B was won this year by Peru who made history in winning the championship for the first time ever. The tournament was hosted by Colombia and in addition to Colombia it also included Venezuela and an invited team from Central America - Costa Rica. The addition of Ecuador to CONSUR will pave the way for the country's inclusion into the tournament. A five team tournament looms as great news for all participants and gives South America a good platform for the continents second tier.

Ecuador's inclusion in CONSUR is a clear illustration of the expansion of rugby in South America. Bolivia is tipped to soon follow the example of Ecuador and when this happens all countries within the region of CONSUR would be members making the case for Argentina to host Rugby World Cup 2023 even more compelling.

Last edited:
Right then, own up. Who (like me) when reading the ***le went "ECUADOR" and then started humming the tune of the song by Sash

Good to see "new" countries being recognised as Rugby playing nations

making the case for Argentina to host Rugby World Cup 2011 even more compelling.
2011 might be pushing things! I'd love to see Argentina and Italy host a glut of underage, Sevens and womens tournaments to show the iRB that they're realistic candidates to host the 2023 and 2027 World Cups respectively.

That's good news about Ecuador. Maybe the 2016 Olympics on their own continent will spur all South American countries onto continuing the growth of the sport there

Argentina and Italy host a glut of underage, Sevens and womens tournaments to show the iRB that they're realistic candidates to host the 2023 and 2027 World Cups respectively.

Can anyone host ahead of these two.... no.

I was reading an Irish forum with people talking about whether or not Ireland could host in 2023. Personally, I think it is very much a possibility. The GAA being the major issue. The financial concerns dominating media coverage of the country right now should be a thing of the past and should certainly not be a factor. But having a 4 million population host again (after subhosting in 1991 and 1999) ahead of two hosting virgins of the pedigree of Argentina and Italy would really be ridiculous. Europe´s next host is Italy. no question about this. The bid they made for the 2015 and 2019 race was strong. Argentina to host in 2023 with South Africa losing out again and then Italy in 2027.

That's good news about Ecuador. Maybe the 2016 Olympics on their own continent will spur all South American countries onto continuing the growth of the sport there

It already is. In Brazil things are really starting to pick up. There are rugby commercials on tv from Topper - Brazil´s sponsor with a man talking about (over 15 seconds) how rugby is going to be big in the country. The man mentions Brazil vs Chile rugby from 2009 and 2010 and how Brazil, in one year, was able to do 70% better.

If that is the case, then South Africa played 90% better than last year (when we won the Tri-Nations

Australia - South Africa, both in Brisbane
21 – 6 in 2009
30 – 13 in 2010

I really don't understand how you guys have worked that out
Do you use points diffeerence or what

An equation would do nicely

I really don't understand how you guys have worked that out
Do you use points diffeerence or what

An equation would do nicely

I am quoting the video. Check it out here - It is in Brazilian Portuguese.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can anyone host ahead of these two.... no.

I was reading an Irish forum with people talking about whether or not Ireland could host in 2023. Personally, I think it is very much a possibility. The GAA being the major issue. The financial concerns dominating media coverage of the country right now should be a thing of the past and should certainly not be a factor. But having a 4 million population host again (after subhosting in 1991 and 1999) ahead of two hosting virgins of the pedigree of Argentina and Italy would really be ridiculous. Europe´s next host is Italy. no question about this. The bid they made for the 2015 and 2019 race was strong. Argentina to host in 2023 with South Africa losing out again and then Italy in 2027.

It already is. In Brazil things are really starting to pick up. There are rugby commercials on tv from Topper - Brazil´s sponsor with a man talking about (over 15 seconds) how rugby is going to be big in the country. The man mentions Brazil vs Chile rugby from 2009 and 2010 and how Brazil, in one year, was able to do 70% better.

I don't see that a country's population is as an important factor, as their ability to provide enough suitable Stadiums, fill those Stadiums with spectators, provide good quality TV coverage, provide accommodation and public transport etc

I've read stories this year about countries like Italy playing internationals on under sized fields etc - do they have enough Stadiums suitable for international Rugby?

Argentina are already hosting a number of underage tournaments, such as the Under 20 RWC this year, and all of the feedback i've heard has been positive

Shaggy

Both Argentina and Italy have hosted age grade tournaments. Argentina broke the record of specators on the openning weekend this year. Italy hosted the FIFA World Cup in 1990, Argentina did in 1978. Obviously both have experience and will be able to not only cope with hosting a Rugby World Cup but do so well.

Population size does matter - the IRB have themselves pointed this out. For me personally, a new host is always better than a previous host getting a second or third go. There is no fixed number of stadiums required but IRB staff have hinted at 12 being desired and 9 the absolute minimum. Pool matches should see 10 venues hosting 4 matches each. 30,000 is a figure refered to as the minimum capacity for hosting matches. The smallest France used was 32,000 (Montpellier). A small population can be an issue in this regard. New Zealand has gone for 13 venues but 8 are under 30,000. New Zealand´s population cannot justify larger stadiums.

Lets say Scotland and Wales want to host together and Italy have a solo bid. Scotland and Wales together have a larger population than New Zealand but they are far smaller than Italy and in this sense they cannot compete. Both have national rugby stadiums - two of the best on the planet but Scotland has one other 30,000+ venue (Glasgow) and Wales not one. They could upgrade smaller venues but this would still see them come up short - and by quite some margin when compared to Italy.

The home record of spectators is a crucial area. There is talk of the USA hosting or even RWC debutants Russia in the future. Both are interesting options but neither country has a record of filling stadiums. Neither will host before Italy or Argentina who should host in 2023 with Argentina hosting and 2007 being in Italy. Both Argentina and Italy receive strong home crowds.

Games need to be spread. Wales never do this. Ireland and Scotland once a year at most. Argentina and Italy do so constantly. Argentina has everything in place - history, stadiums, new host, public support, and a competitive team. Some venues would be upgraded of course as all hosts do but far less than what New Zealand has had to do for 2011. 2023 is the right time as the Americas have never hosted. All other regions would have by 2019.

I believe so firmly in Argentina hosting a Rugby World Cup that I have my own site which I ensure always has new material daily.

www.rugbyworldcup-argentina2023.blogspot.com

I have listed 15 venues. I think it is actually too many but I have nonetheless this many and have argued a case for all of them. Go to my site and look on the right-hand side and you can see all the Potential venues for Argentina 2023. I would go for the following ten without question. All have hosted Pumas matches.

Buenos Aires - River Plate (65,645)*
La Plata (53,000)
Cordoba (48,800)
Rosario (41,654)
Mendoza (40,268)
Mar del Plata (35,354)
Tucuman (32,700)
Santa Fé (32,500)
San Juan (25,000)
Salta (20,400)

* River Plate was over 75,000 for the 1978 FIFA World Cup.

Some are already due to be upgraded to be better and larger so really Argentina 2023 is ready to happen. Two of the five other venues could be used for Argentina to have 12 stadiums. Possibly Velez (BSAS) and Jujuy being the next theese two.

I would not call the Italian grounds undersized. Similar to Marseilles which hosted two Quarter Finals at Rugby World Cup 2007. Italy certainly have sufficient stadiums. Too many to choose from in all honesty. The 6 videos below are Italy´s home matches from November 2009 and November 2010. Every game was played at a different venue. As you can see the crowds were positive, despite not always being full. For a country considered soccer mad with rugby having no following in comparison clearly the FIR are doing a great job and clearly there is a lot of growth taking place in Italian rugby. 2027 is perfect for Italy and would return the Cup to Europe after 12 years - the largest gap ever.

Last edited by a moderator:
I still say you put way too much trust in football authorities to lend stadiums to rugby

Not entirely sure about this, but is September/October not the climax of the leagye season in Argentina

and obviously in Italy it is the start of the domestic league

The only way I see Italy using the football stadiums is if the support for rugby equals that of which the French gave- a tall order
Meh, time will tell

Hey Melhor, if I was looking to place a bet on Argentina to host the 2023 Rugby World Cup, where abouts do you think I should look?

Latest posts