• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Eddie O'Sullivan new Head Coach at Biarritz

Tony Manx

TRF Season Ticket Holder
TRF Legend
Club or Nation
Biarritz
I thought I would start a new thread about it.................!!

Profile according to ESPN Scrum seems to indicate coaching experience only at minor clubs, Connacht and with the IRFU.....

"Eddie O'Sullivan is one of the most respected figures in Irish rugby, having enjoyed a successful seven-year spell at the helm of the national team.

The Corkonian played both rugby for Garryowen and Gaelic football for Mountbellew Moylough in his youth before starting his coaching career with Monivea RFC in Galway.
After being appointed as a rugby development officer with the IRFU, stints with Blackrock College, Buccaneers, Connacht and the Ireland Under-21s followed, O'Sullivan leading the latter side to a Triple Crown in 1996.
He then enjoyed the first of two spells with the US Eagles before linking up with Warren Gatland's Ireland as an assistant coach in 1999. When Gatland stepped down two years later, O'Sullivan was promptly named as his successor. This development led to a long-running feud between the pair, with Gatland accusing O'Sullivan of disloyalty.
Under O'Sullivan Ireland's fortunes improved dramatically. During his tenure, Ireland won three Triple Crowns (2004, 2006 and 2007) only to repeatedly miss out on overall Championship glory.
As it was, though, Ireland travelled to the 2007 World Cup in France as a hotly-fancied side. However, the campaign proved a disaster for not only the Irish but O'Sullivan.
Amidst claims of player unrest, Ireland turned in one disappointing performance after another and bowed out at the pool stages after defeats by France and Argentina and two laboured victories over Georgia and Namibia.
Ireland's humiliatingly early exit led to widespread calls for O'Sullivan's resignation, with the charge being that he had failed to get the most out of the country's 'Golden Generation'.
O'Sullivan, his positioned strengthened by having signed a new contract on the eve of the tournament, stood firm and refused to walk away.
However, after a disastrous Six Nations campaign the following spring in which Ireland won just two games and finished fourth (their worst Championship finish in a decade), O'Sullivan finally fell on his sword.
A lengthy spell out of the coaching arena followed before O'Sullivan was unveiled as the new US Eagles coach in March, 2009 and he is now set to take a side into a World Cup as a head coach for the third time following his two previous campaigns with Ireland."

Cracking appointment imo. O'Sullivan, for all of his failings, put us at our most competitive level for 50 or 60 years. Under him winning at Twickenham became a regular occurrence, we beat South Africa and Australia and we actually came back disappointed that we hadn't won in New Zealand, as opposed to travelling with hope of not getting a drubbing.

A lot of the criticism that falls on Eddie comes from the fact that he never really expanded his squad beyond about 18 players or so, but if you look at where Irish rugby was in the mid 2000's that is rather understandable. These were times where Kieran Lewis was being weighed up as O'Driscoll's back up for god's sake.

I think he's a great signing for a club looking to get back up as quickly as possible. He's a good skills coach and has plenty of experience in the game. I'm delighted for him on a personal level too. The fact that he became something of a pariah after 2008 was disgraceful. Should have gotten a big job sooner.

is he the guy who could only manage the Triple Crown thingie with the OGara ODriscoll generation?

It can be only good for BO, Eddie had good success with Ireland and could do well for BO I think the bigger picture is that finally someone from way outside is coming to BO the old chumps ex players thing will no longer apply, probably an excellent move by Serge and about time, at last there could be light at the end of the tunnel for BO He will probably need at least a season to reorganise everything and everybody, will be interesting to see if he brings his own people or not !!!!!!!

Eddie should do well fro them, he is despite his well documented failings a very good coach and he has probably learnt from the mistakes he made with Ireland.

just talking to the irish guys at work and they are all well gutted - they were hoping Sullivan was going to Munster as backs coach.

I reckon it's a good move, i think sullivan is best when he's master of his own ship and can build from the ground up.

He'll bring BO to a good level but won't excel I suspect, considering that's what he's done in all his other significant coaching roles.
just talking to the irish guys at work and they are all well gutted - they were hoping Sullivan was going to Munster as backs coach.

I reckon it's a good move, i think sullivan is best when he's master of his own ship and can build from the ground up.
Even if he was offered the Munster role he's better off with this. He can put his own mark on BO and earn himself some respect if he fairs well. With Munster on the other hand I find it hard to see anything but a drop moving from Penney to Axel Foley.

as far as BO levels are concerned they are at rock bottom so he has a good chance of putting a lot of wrong over the last couple of seasons, right!! is there anyone left in Ireland bar the forumers????

Looking positive then.....I am unbelievably happy that Blanco has, as you say Gaston, gone outside of the ex-players and as much as the technical expertise, one can only hope he is able to command the dressing room as this is the main problem that BO have had over the last few season, in my opinion, and he can show this by allowing Dimitiri to stay retired (as opposed to what some Irish papers are saying) and not give Imanol a new contract!

He is to be given, so it is said, two French coaches so does not sound like he can select his own?

Also what happens to the Eagles....presume he is not going to try and take them to the RWC as well?

Looking positive then.....I am unbelievably happy that Blanco has, as you say Gaston, gone outside of the ex-players and as much as the technical expertise, one can only hope he is able to command the dressing room as this is the main problem that BO have had over the last few season, in my opinion, and he can show this by allowing Dimitiri to stay retired (as opposed to what some Irish papers are saying) and not give Imanol a new contract!

He is to be given, so it is said, two French coaches so does not sound like he can select his own?

Also what happens to the Eagles....presume he is not going to try and take them to the RWC as well?

Well, I'm not sure how good Eddie's French is and he's been out of the club game for a long time. Not sure how up to speed he's be on the day to day running of the club. No bad thing having support staff there.

It is normal for incoming non French speakers to take French lessons and pick up the language but it really is not a problem as most the squad are English speakers either by birth or learnt and am sure that the coaches will also be able to comprehend too.......he has much bigger problems to face than the language!! As I said, one will be commanding the dressing room and another will be to persuade Blanco to overhaul the ethos and staff of the club as well as strengthening the players pool!

Gaston, I understand that the many players who have stayed on have taken a salary cut..........BUT they will get the amount cut as a bonus if promoted back to Top 14 at the end of the season!! So they are not planning on gettng things sorted this season for a real push the season after next!

I'm happy hes not going to Munster. I'm not sure he is a good backs coach.

He is a decent head coach and will probably suit French rugby. What Biarritz need is some stability and he'll give them that.

I'm not an Eddie O'Sullivan fan so I can't objectively comment on his appointment. His only jobs in rugby post-2008 with Ireland have been as head coach of a semi pro Eagles team (not entirely successful), consultant with Garryowen in the AIL (they were relegated) and running the rule over a bunch of American football converts in the NRFL combine. I'm not sure he got the best out of an Ireland team under his tenure with the 2007 World Cup and conservative selection policies standing out massively. Surely there's a reason why no big team has taken a punt on him in the last 6 years.

Despite the above comments, I genuine wish him good luck and I hope he does well at the job. Ireland needs as many native coaches as possible performing at a high level. Biarritz is a big club and he'll try to resurrect both that team and his career as a head coach.