• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Eden Park 2011

N

nam97

So what's happening with this? Haven't really been following it lately 'cos I'm sick to death over the Political squabble. Has a concept been finalized yet? I hope to god they don't opt out for the bare minimum requirements and just throw in a few dinky stands. The 3/4 ring stadium with the clear shell or whatever and the current big stand actually looks like something we could be proud of, but what's the bet it won't happen. Anyone have a clue?

This is the concept I'm talking about:

edenpark1.jpg

As of yet they are still in the planning stage as far as I know, Fletcher seem pretty keen to get started but the council and goverment are yet to work out logistics as there appears to be funding shortfall.

Maybe they are planning to spring a huge 200,000 all seater hippodrome with a roof and a pitch which floats on air and thats made out of recycled tires?

Well they still have four more years to work on the park
[/b]

Apparently it starts August next year, wouldn't be too sure though. I'm just embarrassed by the shoddy patch work job they've got in line. Hardly a place to stage the 3rd biggest sporting event on Earth

Hope they dont rest all the builders until the year prior to the Cup only to run out of time :)

The Aussies are probably wringing their hands in gleeful anticipation that NZ will not be able to complete in time (which seems to be where this is heading), and that the role of RWC hosts will fall to them.

Hope they dont rest all the builders until the year prior to the Cup only to run out of time :) [/b]

That's fine, we'd have just finnished hosting the 2010 world cup and wouldn't mind taking it off your hands.

Time to try some RWC in those brand spanking new green point stadium (68 000) and the upgraded soccer city ( 95 000 ) and ellis park (70 000)

<div class='quotemain'> Hope they dont rest all the builders until the year prior to the Cup only to run out of time :) [/b]

That's fine, we'd have just finnished hosting the 2010 world cup and wouldn't mind taking it off your hands.

Time to try some RWC in those brand spanking new green point stadium (68 000) and the upgraded soccer city ( 95 000 ) and ellis park (70 000)
[/b][/quote]

The stadiums are great but can you say that it will be safe for the fans. I was there in 1995 and it was a joke. Been back in 2005 and Jo berg was even worse.
So the choice is New Zealand-Bored to death
S Africa-Stabbed to death

I cant wait.
I wish Japan could have won the World Cup..........and we all know what happened there!

what are you talking about ?

Security will be good, I mean we don't really have rugby related incidents here in SA, we have a few soccer fans getting in a punchup here and destroying stadium property there (I f***ing hate those kaizer chief ******** pulling out the chairs in ellis park), but I've never seen anything like that from our rugga fans.

don't be so insulting it's perfectly fine over here, no less safe then it was in Germany 2006, it's the tourists that wander into hillbrow and those dodgy places that get screwed over.

CONFOUND YOU NEW ZEALAND!

I want my floating pitch and my Sapporo Dome!!!
[/b]

Well we should have had at least a waterfront stadium for you Prestwick, but god knows why all these Auckland r-tards opted against it. What would you rather have? A brand new stadium, or a dingy old storage yard?

Do not fear my friend, I am confident that New Zealand will have a floating pitch by 2011... :D

what are you talking about ?

Security will be good, I mean we don't really have rugby related incidents here in SA, we have a few soccer fans getting in a punchup here and destroying stadium property there (I f***ing hate those kaizer chief ******** pulling out the chairs in ellis park), but I've never seen anything like that from our rugga fans.

don't be so insulting it's perfectly fine over here, no less safe then it was in Germany 2006, it's the tourists that wander into hillbrow and those dodgy places that get screwed over.
[/b]

I didnt mean to insult you but you have to admit there are big security issues with any large sporting event in SA. Ive been to your country 6 times and you always have to be carefull where you go and have your wits about you. SA is my fav country to visit and il be going back for the Lions tour but you cannot deny that it can be a violent country.
Ps Ellis Park is a fantastic place to watch rugby and i cant wait to go back.

I still don't get where the big security issues are with any big sporting event in South africa, you can't go watch a highschool rugby match here without guards scoping you out.

but like hey, I've only been living here my entire life and gone to quite a number of sporting events, I guess I wouldn't know too much about that :p

Maybe you get all the bad luck ?

SA can be a violent country,well sure just like any other country on the planet, I wouldn't be cought dead near old trafford with a ManU vs. liverpool game, what was it like 100 hooligan arrests a year ?

Also what's all this I hear about a floating pitch now ?

Wait a second, what about all those over-crowding disasters at Ellis Park where all those soccer fans got crushed to death?

I think Auckland need to flippin hurry up because they've spent the last year or 2 just talking about where its gona be and whos gona pay for it. Too much talking and not enough action I hope it craps out so as the world can blame it on those bloddy Aucklanders.

If they can get it built, it will look stunning. But is it financially viable outside of the world cup which is a one off event.

Maybe they are planning to spring a huge 200,000 all seater hippodrome with a roof and a pitch which floats on air and thats made out of recycled tires?
[/b]

lol mate, technology isn't that advanced!

Although now that I think, it wouldn't be to bad.

I don't think they'll construct the waterfront stadium, just expand Eden Park

The Aussies are probably wringing their hands in gleeful anticipation that NZ will not be able to complete in time (which seems to be where this is heading), and that the role of RWC hosts will fall to them. [/b]

Why to them? I am pretty sure that England or Japan could then take the hosting over.

Latest posts