• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nope, not when Watson and May are available
Malins, too, if he continues his form from last season

Arundell's still in with a chance, don't get me wrong - he's got true game breaking speed/agility that none of our regulars have, I just can't see him being a regular until after the RWC
When you look back at last year's 6N wings - Marchant, Nowell, Malins and Steward we're in a much much better place with hopefully the old guard of Watson and May returning plus emerging talent in Radwan, Arundell and Freeman. I'm not mentioning Coka unless or until he starts properly throwing his weight around for Bath.

For Arundell read Smith. Prodigious young talent with loads of hype, but as the latter's finding out it's never an even trajectory to the top. Wet Tuesdays in Stoke, injuries, unsuitable game plans, mistakes, losing the element of surprise and dips in form all await him. I can see him travelling to France but only having a peripheral role.

Good to see George Martin having a decent game the other day. Like what he brings.

Thought Binny went well yesterday and looked quite fit. Dombrandt had also started the game well, shame he was forced off.

Lawes, Curry and Binny back row this autumn.

Im not happy that Marchant is playing on the wing for Harlequins. I was hoping he would be the answer to England's centre problems.

Your last two posts are quite an entertaining journey
Thank you. I like to entertain. There is logic to them. I saw Marchant was playing on the wing again today and Eddie Jones will probably pick him on the wing as well so I was wondering who else could solve England's problems at centre.

Does anybody think Luke Northmore could become an England starting regular?
Could do but i think when he has had more gametime to come back from injury EJ will go back to Slade. I think he will be looked at post WC, Anyanwu looks like he has a future(he is EQP right?)

Schickerling has done himself no harm today, i would think he could push Sinks/Stuart, maybe post world cup but i do rate him. Scrummaging will need to improve ofcourse but still.

Reactions: BPM
EJ does value mobile props, I reckon he'll be in the EPS this Autumn and possibly the Six Nations (is there a smaller squad in the 6N compard to Autumn?) with an outside chance of making the RWC side
All the talk is Sinckler will go to France post-RWC so there'll be a spot open, but depends what the new coach values in a prop - still a season to improve his scrummaging by then though

Anyanwu looks like he has a future(he is EQP right?)
Yeah, been with Quins since he was 12

Agreed on most of the above. Schickerling has had a great start to the season and I think he is competing hard with Heyes for the 3rd choice tighthead berth.

I'll be curious to see how Anyanwu develops. I think he's a promising Premiership level player but I don't know if I see him as having the potential to become a test player.

Games like Chiefs v Quins and Tigers v Saints are undoubtedly great entertainment. But if this is the kind of thing that Jones is talking about when he says that the Premiership isn't a great proving ground for the international game then I can see exactly where he's coming from. Too much poor defence, too many poor set pieces and some fairly lousy discipline. Too much preprogramming too, which we usually associate with Ford or Faz hoofing the ball but, as just one example, for a little while Lawes has caught my eye in that he almost seems hell bent on tipping on the ball regardless - sometimes that will be the right thing to do and it looks great when it works, but I've seen plenty of his offloads go to ground or put the receiver in trouble. I get that Saints want to play a faster wider game, but that's still preprogramming.

Tigers and Sarries are perfectly capable of turning on the style, but also tend to be pretty pragmatic. For all the huffing and puffing of others I can't see beyond one of them taking the spoils at the end of the season.

Meanwhile Farrell is slotting a last minute touch line conversion to win. #Iceman.

TRAINING SQUAD
FORWARDS
Ollie Chessum (Leicester Tigers, 5 caps)
Alex Coles (Northampton Saints, uncapped)
Luke Cowan-Dickie (Exeter Chiefs, 37 caps)
Tom Curry (Sale Sharks, 41 caps)
Ellis Genge (Bristol Bears, 39 caps)
Jamie George (Saracens, 69 caps)
Joe Heyes (Leicester Tigers, 5 caps)
Jonny Hill (Sale Sharks, 15 caps)
Lewis Ludlam (Northampton Saints, 14 caps)
Tom Pearson (London Irish, uncapped)
David Ribbans (Northampton Saints, uncapped)
Bevan Rodd (Sale Sharks, 2 caps)
Patrick Schickerling (Exeter Chiefs, uncapped)
Sam Simmonds (Exeter Chiefs, 14 caps)
Will Stuart (Bath Rugby, 23 caps)
Hugh Tizard (Saracens, uncapped)
Billy Vunipola (Saracens, 64 caps)
Mako Vunipola (Saracens, 70 caps)
Jack Walker (Harlequins, uncapped)
Jack Willis (Wasps, 4 caps)

BACKS
Henry Arundell (London Irish, 3 caps)
Joe Cokanasiga (Bath Rugby, 12 caps)
Fraser Dingwall (Northampton Saints, uncapped)
Owen Farrell (Saracens, 97 caps)
Tommy Freeman (Northampton Saints, 2 caps)
George Furbank (Northampton Saints, 6 caps)
Will Joseph (London Irish, 1 cap)
Jonny May (Gloucester Rugby, 69 caps)
Alex Mitchell (Northampton Saints, 1 cap)
Jack Nowell (Exeter Chiefs, 42 caps)
Guy Porter (Leicester Tigers, 2 caps)
Marcus Smith (Harlequins, 13 caps)
Freddie Steward (Leicester Tigers, 13 caps)
Manu Tuilagi (Sale Sharks, 46 caps)
Jack van Poortvliet (Leicester Tigers, 3 caps)
Ben Youngs (Leicester Tigers, 117 caps)

*Unavailable for selection due to injury: Alfie Barbeary, Nic Dolly, Alex Dombrandt, Charlie Ewels, George Ford, Sam Jeffries, Maro Itoje, Nick Isiekwe, Courtney Lawes, Sam Underhill, Anthony Watson.

No George Martin either. Its just a get together so i suspect Marchant has some reason for not being available. Cant imagine Jones deciding he doesnt rate him...hes a class act.

I thought we might have seen Anywanyu and Phil Cokasinga as apprentices for a quick once over. Maybe a bit too soon.

By position

TRAINING SQUAD
FORWARDS

LH Prop

Ellis Genge (Bristol Bears, 39 caps)
Bevan Rodd (Sale Sharks, 2 caps)
Mako Vunipola (Saracens, 70 caps)

Hooker
Luke Cowan-Dickie (Exeter Chiefs, 37 caps)
Jamie George (Saracens, 69 caps)
Jack Walker (Harlequins, uncapped)

TH Prop
Joe Heyes (Leicester Tigers, 5 caps)
Will Stuart (Bath Rugby, 23 caps)
Patrick Schickerling (Exeter Chiefs, uncapped)

Lock
Hugh Tizard (Saracens, uncapped)
Jonny Hill (Sale Sharks, 15 caps)
David Ribbans (Northampton Saints, uncapped)

Lock/ BR Hybrid
Ollie Chessum (Leicester Tigers, 5 caps)
Alex Coles (Northampton Saints, uncapped)

Back Row
Jack Willis (Wasps, 4 caps)
Tom Curry (Sale Sharks, 41 caps)
Lewis Ludlam (Northampton Saints, 14 caps)
Tom Pearson (London Irish, uncapped)

No.8
Billy Vunipola (Saracens, 64 caps)
Sam Simmonds (Exeter Chiefs, 14 caps)

BACKS

Scrum Half

Alex Mitchell (Northampton Saints, 1 cap)
Jack van Poortvliet (Leicester Tigers, 3 caps)
Ben Youngs (Leicester Tigers, 117 caps)

Fly Half
Marcus Smith (Harlequins, 13 caps)

Centre
Owen Farrell (Saracens, 97 caps)
Fraser Dingwall (Northampton Saints, uncapped)
Manu Tuilagi (Sale Sharks, 46 caps)
Guy Porter (Leicester Tigers, 2 caps)
Will Joseph (London Irish, 1 cap)

Wing
Joe Cokanasiga (Bath Rugby, 12 caps)
Jonny May (Gloucester Rugby, 69 caps)
Jack Nowell (Exeter Chiefs, 42 caps)
Tommy Freeman (Northampton Saints, 2 caps)

FB
Henry Arundell (London Irish, 3 caps)
George Furbank (Northampton Saints, 6 caps)
Freddie Steward (Leicester Tigers, 13 caps)

Think thats right, maybe a few could be wing or FB or back row 8 etc.

No Marler or Slade. Neither listed as injured. EDIT: Nor Sinckler.

Disappointed, but unsurprised, there's no place for T Willis.

Mad that J Willis only has 4 caps.

Hard to believe that something didn't go on with Marchant in Aus.

Im not sure what Ben Earl has done wrong either....id have him over Sam Simmonds any day of the week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts