• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.
Couple of Times journos (neither Barnes nor Jones) have named their preferred teams for the 6N. Their differences sum up some of the issues facing the new coach.

Aligned on Genge and Sinks. One went George the other LCD which is fine.

Both went with different row partners for Itoje in Chessum and Lawes if fit.

Both went for Curry, Dombrandt and Earl. Latter 2 were nowhere to be seen in the AI, although Dombrandt was injured at the start

Both wanted JVP. At 10, neither went for Smith - one chose Ford, the other Farrell.

12 saw Slade and Farrell. Both went for the lesser spotted Lawrence at 13.

Freeman and Steward both got the nod in the back 3. The other wing berth saw OHC and Watson

So no Hill, no Youngs, no Manu, no Vunipolae, no May, no Smith. And no lock in the back row.
Surely Ribbans is the one we need for partnering Itoje...??
Earl AND Curry ...again i dont get that...

Issue with just picking a team is that it depends on the tactics the coach wants to use. I felt recently Jones picked the team and tactics separatley and hoped he could coach them to work together.

You 100% can't win any rugby match without 3 locks on the pitch though at any one time! Don't they know that!

Couple of Times journos (neither Barnes nor Jones) have named their preferred teams for the 6N. Their differences sum up some of the issues facing the new coach.

Aligned on Genge and Sinks. One went George the other LCD which is fine.

Both went with different row partners for Itoje in Chessum and Lawes if fit.

Both went for Curry, Dombrandt and Earl. Latter 2 were nowhere to be seen in the AI, although Dombrandt was injured at the start

Both wanted JVP. At 10, neither went for Smith - one chose Ford, the other Farrell.

12 saw Slade and Farrell. Both went for the lesser spotted Lawrence at 13.

Freeman and Steward both got the nod in the back 3. The other wing berth saw OHC and Watson

So no Hill, no Youngs, no Manu, no Vunipolae, no May, no Smith. And no lock in the back row.

Apart fom the continued mentions for non-12 Owen Farrell at 12, this is just selection preferences and I have no great objections. On the AI coverage, Dan Carter described Marcus Smith as a generational talent and people clearly need to be more Dan, but as long as the new coach lets the boys play...

Taking away the Farrell conundrum for the moment....

I'd love to see a Smith, Kelly, Lawrence midfield at some stage this 6n...

And for the 6n...i would actually accept...

9 JVP
10 Farrell - With Smith off the bench
12 Kelly
13 Lawrence

Apparently mercer was motm again for Montpellier. Really want to see him in the England 8 shirt if he returns.

Apparently mercer was motm again for Montpellier. Really want to see him in the England 8 shirt if he returns.
I was really hoping Dombrandt would be first choice by now with them 2 fighting it out for the spot on his return.

Also that JWillis had a real shot to join or fight for Curry's spot in the back row.

With the talant available think we could ha e had some real progress in the back row. Not that the current options are bad but curry being pushed wouldnt be bad, Billy is less affective amd Lawes is major concussion risk. And Simmonds has never really stepped up unfortunatly.

Are championship players eligible for England? I know sarries players went on loan etc. but can't remember if there's a firm rule on it
Willis has said if wasps get a buyer/land in the championship and not the amateur leagues then he'll stay with them

Are championship players eligible for England? I know sarries players went on loan etc. but can't remember if there's a firm rule on it
Willis has said if wasps get a buyer/land in the championship and not the amateur leagues then he'll stay with them
Yes you have to play in England, not l8m7ted to the prem. Thats how i understand it.

Yes you have to play in England, not l8m7ted to the prem. Thats how i understand it.
I'd be surprised if release terms have been negotiated with the Championship, so I wouldn't imagine anyone playing for England until that is sorted. It might be different if the player in question represents a Premiership team though.

Am I right in remembering that the last Championship player to represent England was Handre Fourie? Sadly I'm old enough to Wade Dooley representing England and Preston Grasshoppers, who played in National 2 North (or whatever it was called at the time).

Mark Wilson leaving Newcastle, while a starter for England, is what I was thinking - don't think there's any chance he'd have done that if the RFU hadn't had a word in his ear

Talking of a steady 12, what about Dingwall, very underrated player who has played 12 a fair bit at saints although not his main position. Not a player who will let anyone down but maybe not got that X factor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts