• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a big fan of Lawes who has done very well since moving permanently to 6 but half of me would really like to see Curry and Willis in tandem regardless.
Lawes will be turning 35 during the post-RWC Six Nations so there's a good chance whoever the incoming coach is phases him out (or drops him entirely post RWC), so I think we could well see that moving forwards

Obv there's a RWC to get through first (which I think Lawes has a big part to play in)

Anyone know how long Lawes is out for atm?

Lawes will be turning 35 during the post-RWC Six Nations so there's a good chance whoever the incoming coach is phases him out (or drops him entirely post RWC), so I think we could well see that moving forwards

Obv there's a RWC to get through first (which I think Lawes has a big part to play in)

Anyone know how long Lawes is out for atm?
He can play for another year, don't you think? Yeah, he's 35, but he's in pretty good shape.

He can play for another year, don't you think? Yeah, he's 35, but he's in pretty good shape.
Yeah I'd be surprised if he wasn't our starting 6 during the RWC (and would be my choice, currently), I was just thinking out loud about the future

Yeah I'd be surprised if he wasn't our starting 6 during the RWC (and would be my choice, currently), I was just thinking out loud about the future
That's for sure. It's strange that young players can't outperform older players. They're supposed to be stronger and more resilient. But apparently, experience plays a role here as well.

That's for sure. It's strange that young players can't outperform older players. They're supposed to be stronger and more resilient. But apparently, experience plays a role here as well.
Experience is a big thing and Lawes also seems to have pretty good genes.

But there's whatever he's got now, concussion at the start of the year then a nasty thumb injury, all on top of a Lions year.

At some point age / injury catch up with literally everyone. That must be on Lawes' horizon and whichever side of the RWC the tipping point comes I hope that the coach doesn't just scratch his head going 'what now'. If Willis is to be the successor let's see him properly fed in.

But there's whatever he's got now, concussion at the start of the year then a nasty thumb injury, all on top of a Lions year.

At some point age / injury catch up with literally everyone. That must be on Lawes' horizon and whichever side of the RWC the tipping point comes I hope that the coach doesn't just scratch his head going 'what now'. If Willis is to be the successor let's see him properly fed in.
Of course, the coach knows about it. And I wonder who will take his place if he leaves.

I guess the big, really important question though, is Willis a lineout option? Number 1 concern for a flanker, or so I've heard. Without 3 options, you may as well not even go out onto the pitch.

Lawes has to beat Coles back into the 6 jersey at the saints first. Coles has been brilliant this season so far.

Didn't link up at all with the England camp
Wonder if that means he's not expected to play any part this autumn as Itoje was in camp despite being named on the not-selected-because-injured list
Though London is a lot closer to the camp than Northampton so could've been a personal decision to make whether to go and observe

Looks like the Eng coaching team revolving door in full swing. Seibold set to return to Aus RL post AIs.

Looks like the Eng coaching team revolving door in full swing. Seibold set to return to Aus RL post AIs.
I'm not sure he'll be too much of a loss TBH. I wonder if John Mitchell will return, considering Wasps current situation.

Reactions: BPM
Agreed. I think he was a bad choice to begin with.

Main issue is that a new man will have their own way of doing things. It's now less than a year to the RWC. If Seibold doesn't leave until after the AIs, that's basically just the 6N for the new guy to get players to buy into him and get the system embedded in competitive games. Ridiculous state of affairs really.

Mitchell and Jones fell out over Jones trying to prevent Mitchell from watching his son play cricket. That may just have been the straw that broke the camel's back, but I doubt there's a great deal of trust between them.

Reactions: BPM
It's not really a 'ridiculous state of affairs' though. As I see it, the guy's simply been offered a job that suits him better.

He wasn't bringing anything obvious so I'd see this as more of an opportunity than a setback.

It's not really a 'ridiculous state of affairs' though. As I see it, the guy's simply been offered a job that suits him better.

He wasn't bringing anything obvious so I'd see this as more of an opportunity than a setback.
Yeah agreed.
It's ridiculous in the sense that he was totally ill suited for the role in the first place and that we're now scrabbling around looking for yet another key coach with the RWC fast approaching. And I wouldn't be staking my life savings on Gleeson lasting the course either.

Lots of coaching, there's no smoke without fire in all of this. That being said, I'm glad really as hopefully we can get an experienced head in to temper the stupid Eddie Jones behaviour.

On another note (and this may be stupid), why didn't the RFu buy Worcester and turn it in to the first centrally run club?

Would be a good thing for getting coaches experiences?

Might be stupid I know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts