• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England 6 Nation squad 2024

I actually thought he was poor by his standards but overall he was still an 8/10. Such a good solid player who goes from good to great.

My only concern with bringing pepper in, is that we don't have a settled 6, so swapping the 7 might not be the best choice. I really want CCS to nail the 6 shirt and then we can swap around with the 7.

What did people make of Underhill in the 6N? Only a couple of highlight reel moments but overall I felt he was pretty effective. Still find it baffling that he wasn't in the original RWC squad.
Bit ropey first game but excellent after that, I genuinely don't think we have an alternative who can really turn the tide with big momentum stopping hits when under pressure, that's what we have really lacked in the darkest days, as Olly said him and currys pair perfectly, with Earl at 8 and then some solid bench options I think the back row is in a solid place.

He tackled hard as we expect and can really take the momentum out of a side.

Great point - being able to swing the mood of a match is really crucial. Earl can do that in an attacking way and if CCS develops as we expect I think he will be able to do that with both ball in hand and in the tackle.

Curry to return, maybe J Willis one day. Pepper getting rave reviews, Pearson still waiting his chance along with Barbeary etc.

Much as I like Chessum I think he might end up getting caught between 2 stools - Lawes made 6 work because he had a shedload of experience and was simply an outstanding rugby player - it's going to be tough to replicate that though. Might partly depend on how CCS's line out is coming on and Launch said it was going well.

Lawes made 6 work because he suited 6 and was given time.

It just depends on what we want as a 6, a workhorse or perhaps more dynamic style.

There are plenty of 6's in international that Chessum can replicate potentially.

But the thing is he's prob gonna be a lock at Tigers and I feel that he will develop a great partnership with Martin. Honestly longer term I wished Borthwick went with Itoje at 6 more than Chessum

Last edited:
But the thing is he's prob gonna be a lock at Tigers and I feel that he will develop a great partnership with Martin. Honestly longer term I wished Borthwick went with Itoje at 6 more than Chessum

Agree with this.

As you say all depends what on what you want from a 6, balance with other players etc etc. Personally I have a soft spot for destructive and (legally) nasty. Big, but not necessarily huge. Big fan of peak O'Mahony.

Billy Vunipola is poised to join Montpellier next season and bring his long career with Saracens and England to an end.

Danny Care is weighing up his international future after contributing to an encouraging Six Nations for England.

Agree with this.

As you say all depends what on what you want from a 6, balance with other players etc etc. Personally I have a soft spot for destructive and (legally) nasty. Big, but not necessarily huge. Big fan of peak O'Mahony.
If one of the big U20's Locks develops nicely could free up Martin to 6 and I think he would be Englands answer to PSTD but right now we need his engine in the scrum

I'm more concerned about what we have available at lock than flankers so would rather we try to develop more locks and not try to turn them into 6s. I don't see the point of not developing players in an area that isn't strong to further compete in an area where we have a lot of options coming through.

I feel locks and 6's are both similar in terms of strengths
I mean the fact that we had Chessum at 6 in the first place shows that 6 isn't that strong a position atm.

Granted the Willis brothers being available would help massively
I feel most 6's that get mentioned don't even generally play 6 at club

I feel most 6's that get mentioned don't even generally play 6 at club
Yeah … this is an interesting point. Of those that get mentioned, Ted Hill is more or less the only genuine 6. Perhaps Jack Kenningham if he can get back to fitness and from.

I do feel like CCS could be a better 6 than 8 in time and if he stays at Quins, that's very possibly the route he'll take.

This is also why I think Carnduff may be a more interesting prospect than Pollock from the U20 crop.

Yeah, I think he'd posted something on social media saying how he'd had a setback on his injury.

I wonder who currently playing will reach 100 caps. Ford is only 4 off so likely will and George is 10 off and probably will. Who else?

I reckon Genge is in with a good chance - a way off atm but only just turned 29 and in a position that's common to see internationals in their mid-to-late 30s

He needs 38 more caps, but with 12 possible tests a year it's doable, even with the youngsters coming through

I wonder who currently playing will reach 100 caps. Ford is only 4 off so likely will and George is 10 off and probably will. Who else?
Curry, hopefully. Chessum is a long term prospect. Smith and Steward both have high numbers at a relatively young age, too.

Yeah … this is an interesting point. Of those that get mentioned, Ted Hill is more or less the only genuine 6. Perhaps Jack Kenningham if he can get back to fitness and from.

I do feel like CCS could be a better 6 than 8 in time and if he stays at Quins, that's very possibly the route he'll take.

This is also why I think Carnduff may be a more interesting prospect than Pollock from the U20 crop.
You could also add Ben Earl to that list of viable 6s if with someone like T Willis at 8.

Christ this is getting like the pool stages of the 2019 Only-Locks World Cup.

MOAR NUMBAH AYTS!!1!

Latest posts