• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England 6 Nation squad 2024

Bearing in mind Squidge said Jones was building some super complex attack, only for players to now say they were doing no such thing and his recent predictions about England have all been wildly off the mark... He's the most avidly pro-English Welshman I know.
The Rugby analyst as well

Was the comment about prying Mike Catt out of Ireland tongue in cheek? Because Mike Catt IS leaving Ireland...

Last edited:
Rumours that Finn Smith is out according to The Times. Training injury.

"Hey Finn, you know how in training earlier you took the ball flat, to the line, drew the man and then put through a support runner into space?"
The Undertaker Sport GIF by WWE

The Rugby analyst as well

Think your taking his comments a bit out of context, he is usually pretty good, if that's the one I watched the other day, he started off caveating along the lines of here to hoping what SB is planning and a team that can pull it off, he never (to my knowledge) went waxing lyrical about a EJ based attack which was going to blind side every one and be undefendable like squidge did.

'Unfair' to say Steve Borthwick only data driven, says Kevin Sinfield

According to Borther's spreadsheet, this was the optimum thing to say.
This just makes SB look worse

At least if it was just following a spreadsheet there was an excuse

There's a lot of guff coming from the England camp at the moment. Here's Sinfield on England's failure to execute in Scotland:

"That was an anomaly for us. We certainly haven't seen that throughout training at all".

Well, who'd have guessed that the pressure in the heat of a test match is just a smidge up from the training field…..

OK I'm being slightly facetious, but I have not seen or heard anything to give me real confidence in this coaching set up.

Even Cole parroting the line about attack being the "cherry on top". Cole's a thoughtful guy, but that is nonsense. The game is multi faceted and you can only ever be as strong as your weakest link. All aspects need to be developed - attack isn't a mythical mirage or a nice to have, its just another aspect along with defence, breakdown, set piece, kicking etc. And once you've identified a weak link, that's where more time should be invested to strengthen the whole.

Labouring the point, take Jessica Ennis-Hill. In 2007 she became joint GB record holder in the high jump but she knew that to become the best heptathlete she could she had to power up and concentrate on developing her previously weak throws rather than search for an extra cm or 2 in the HJ. Consequently, she never hit those heights again, but the few points she lost there were more than made up for in the throws where she became reasonably competent and the rest is gold medal history. To improve you concentrate on what you're less good at (and I don't fully buy SB's line that he inherited a squad who weren't good at anything - that just smacked of getting excuses in early…..and if things really were that bad it should have been easy to show at least a degree of immediate impact).

All for getting excited by new talent but this guy has 30 minutes in the Prem and nothing in the Champions Cup. A talent, but just let him develop without the next big thing headlines.

All for getting excited by new talent but this guy has 30 minutes in the Prem and nothing in the Champions Cup. A talent, but just let him develop without the next big thing headlines.

Yeah we've had plenty of people who shone at U20 and then didn't at senior. Mallinder and Ibitoye spring to mind.

He's one of the best players we have ever had at under age, but the hype is silly.

He was on the front page of the BBC this morning and it needs to stop.

No idea. Apart from lock I don't think I even have any idea what SB's preferred combination is in any unit.
He's searching for combinations. Tbh I think eddie was doing the same.

If we could just fix the backs and how they join with the forwards, that would reveal who is and who isn't up for it.

Pleased Waboso gets a start, we're desperate for speed and real threat outwide and he provides that. We need to stick with him.

Latest posts