• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England 6 Nation squad 2024

If CCS is out of next week who does SB bring in?
Pearson as another utility backrower or Ewels as lock replacement (even though he was happy for Chessum to cover from the pitch today)?

Or does SB go completely left field and parachute Ludlam straight in as the closest like-for-like we've got?

Pearson as another utility backrower or Ewels as lock replacement (even though he was happy for Chessum to cover from the pitch today)?

Or does SB go completely left field and parachute Ludlam straight in as the closest like-for-like we've got?
Not Ewels. Even if he is playing better he's still a liability and we have enough of those still.

Alfie Barbeary?

Alfie Barbeary?
Feel like it's unlikely someone who hasn't been in the squad at all would come straight into the 23 (my Ludlam suggestion was only half serious), and also think whoever is picked would be a lineout option too (as CCS has been used as a target) - if Dombrandt were injured I think Barbeary would be next cab off the ranks

Tbf it'll probably be Roots, who I forgot existed

Feel like it's unlikely someone who hasn't been in the squad at all would come straight into the 23 (my Ludlam suggestion was only half serious), and also think whoever is picked would be a lineout option too (as CCS has been used as a target) - if Dombrandt were injured I think Barbeary would be next cab off the ranks

Tbf it'll probably be Roots, who I forgot existed
Got to be pearson as the one to come in.

If he wants to keep 3 lock types on the pitch all the way through I'd go for Isiekwe, especially as we now seem to be attacking opposition line out ball more which is a real strength of his. Probably not the man you want in the widest open spaces but he'd be the continuity candidate. That would give you options and as good a player as Chessum is, he does seem slightly light for the row in a Lawes type way.

Earl is our principal ball carrier. If he goes off we lose some ooomph. I'd have Barbeary on the bench to cover him above Dombrandt. Different style but he'd be picked because his strength is aggressive go forward. Again, a type of continuity.

Someone having fun on Wiki
1000005246.jpg

I'm going to read the minute by minute as I'm interested to know what e did differently from the last set of games.

Also I think that IFW, Lawrence and Martin all add balance to certain positions. The problem for me is we don't really have decent/ similar back ups so if we lose one we have to chan how we play which isn't good.

We definitely need a smasher in the 5 shirt of Itoje plays 4, we also need a threat in the centre and power/ pace on the wings.

Happy with how we played but not going to get too excited until we do back to back performances.

Excited for France, long time since I've been this excited looking forward to an England game.

It was certainly promising and in reality that back 5 of the pack
4. Itoje, 5. Martin, 6. Chessum, 7. Underhill, 8. Earl
Is something you could easily build on for the RWC.
Freeman and IFW both looked a good mix. Honestly I do want to see Freeman given a game at 15 with Roebuck, Murley or OHC given a go on the wings.

Still so many question marks
Front row and pack depth in general.
Lock we have some good options, Chessum and Coles seem pretty similar but we need Tuima to hopefully step up or one of these big powerful U20's lock to make the jump in 3 years.
Back Row has a lot of potential depth options
I'm hoping Tigers pull out the Jasper Wiese cap space and send it CCS way to get him and keep him at 8.
Tom Willis could really fit in at 6/8 also
Scrum half depth is dire.
Centres, played well enough. Feel Lawrence really isn't the answer at 12 and that he would still far more dangerous and better in defence at 13. Slade has been extremely solid but I don't think he suits that defensive pattern.

Roots and Dingwall both worth a go but I just don't see either being more than squad options.

Pepper for CCS
Animated GIF

Not sure what that means for Pearson though - though I suppose with one week left they might just want to bring Pepper in for a taste of the set up, knowing that whoever is in camp isn't going to be used vs France

Pepper for CCS
View attachment 19306

Not sure what that means for Pearson though - though I suppose with one week left they might just want to bring Pepper in for a taste of the set up, knowing that whoever is in camp isn't going to be used vs France
Idk Pepper could become Englands Tommy Reffell imo.

Wouldn't be surprised if he's on the bench

Things moving on quite rapidly in our back row. Earl's carrying. Chessum's line out and Underhill's hitting seems a complementary combo with CCS's power impressing off the bench. Pepper and Pearson both on the radar, Barbeary pushing hard. Willis boys likely to come again at some point.

Wonder how T Curry will fit in when back. In some ways he's the most rounded flanker option but, arguably, doesn't have the one big USP of some of the others. One thing I think we can agree on is that Earl bulking up has enhanced his game whereas it seemed to be to Curry's detriment.

It will be interesting.

Idk Pepper could become Englands Tommy Reffell imo.
Oh I'm not saying he's not good enough, he absolutely is - just odd that they'd bring in a completely fresh body in the final week
Realistically he's going to get three days before the team is chosen, not a lot of time to stake his case

Wonder how T Curry will fit in when back. In some ways he's the most rounded flanker option but, arguably, doesn't have the one big USP of some of the others.
If he's even 75% what he was I'd be surprised if he doesn't go straight in at 7 - it'll probably be next 6N until he's in contention though, so plenty of time to look at Pepper, who reminds me a lot of Curry

Even bulked up Curry's USP is the breakdown - feel like people have forgotten how special a talent he is since his hip injury

Is Tes Hill unlikely now? That's a fall from grace
Maybe he'll get called up in 8yrs time, like Spencer
Is he fit atm? If he is then to not even make the A squad suggests he's not on the radar at all

Maybe he'll get called up in 8yrs time, like Spencer
Is he fit atm? If he is then to not even make the A squad suggests he's not on the radar at all
Back running straight lines, not seen any evidenc what he's moving sideways at all, so still a couple of weeks away at least.

So one week to go Borthwick is very unlikely to make any major changes.

I would like to see Smith start if fully fit. Ford definitely bringing his premiership form and I don't like how quick he is to go for drop goals. Almost like the Argentina game has gone to his head. I get keeping the defence honest, but his feel like he doesn't trust the attack and while we might not, he should be 100% behind it.
Not sure who comes in for CCS. You want impact from the bench and not sure who will bring that the most. Between Pepper and Roots for me. I imagine it will be Roots.
I'm happy for Borthwick to stick with Furbank if that's who he's decided to go with, but hope Furbank can get a bit more consistent. I think Steward was playing better, but possibly wouldn't have been in the position to score the tries Furbank has.
Only other major issues from Ireland game were Daly and Care coming on. Spencer was just as bad though against Scotland, so don't see an alternative to Care. As for Daly, I'd possibly be tempted to start Steward and have Furbank on the bench.

Latest posts